"Experiment" Bottle
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 05-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
Shrimpo_Brian
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

"Experiment" Bottle

Okay, so I plan to use a 1 liter glass soda bottle as my next experiment tank. I plan to keep only java moss and red cherries in there and see what will happen in it. Right now, I have no idea how to start or what to do. Anyone that has kept a tank that is similar to my description please chime in and tell me what you've dont to make your tank a successful and sustaining tank. Here is what the bottle looks like:

Last edited by Shrimpo_Brian; 07-24-2013 at 07:53 PM..
Shrimpo_Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
PunknDestroy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

I wouldn't go with red cherries since the bottle wont be very stable. Do some research on opae ula. They can thrive in a tiny container as long as you leave it open top for gas exchange. They do require brackish water, but thats easy to accomplish. Java moss can survive in brackish water as well. I'm preparing to do something similar.
PunknDestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #3
Mobert
Algae Grower

I used one of these bottles 10 months ago:

Here it is today with the original three opae ula in the bottle plus a few tiny snails that I have no idea where they came from. (Maybe dormant eggs in the sand?) Haven't figured out how to clean the algae but the bottle has had almost zero maintenance. No water changes and maybe three feedings in 10 months.
Mobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
Higher Thinking
So good my algae pearls!

PTrader: (23/100%)

The problem you are going to have is the extremely small opening doesn't allow for adequate gas exchange. I suppose plants could provide oxygen during the day, but it might be rather oxygen deprived at night. Maybe use an air stone in the bottle.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:29 AM   #5
wrm130
Planted Member

I've bred cherry shrimp in a DIRTED spaghetti jar with some anacharis for 02 and a single ramshorn to keep the glass clean. They grow slow but it worked/works
wrm130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:01 AM   #6
Shrimpo_Brian
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks guys, that bottle is still being cleaned off, smell is still on it, so I don't think I'm ready for now, but I think cherries will definitely be a try, as they are the only ones I have ill try an air stone at night and hp see what happens, but it will really np be a no-low maintenance tank.
Shrimpo_Brian is offline   Reply With Quote