Vivarium for a chinese water dragon
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 08-10-2004, 08:19 PM   #1
Swippersmom

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking

Vivarium for a chinese water dragon

I am Swipper's Mom. Swipper is a 2 month old water dragon who right now lives in a 4ftx2ftx2.5ft enclosure. This is fine for now, but he will need something bigger. Since he is from the rainforest and is known to inhabit waterfalls and river banks, I was really drawn to this site. I love the vivariums I have seen and the host of information on how to build one has been very helpful. I am in search of how I could construct a half water, half land vivarium in an enclosure that will be 6ftx4ftx3.5ft and made of wood. My water dragon will get at large as 4ft long. If anyone on this site has a water dragon, please contact me with helpful information and encouragement.

Thank you
Swippersmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2004, 04:53 PM   #2
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

I've only seen baby water dragon's at local LFS's years ago and know nothing of their care and husbandry but your project sounds fascinating and has the potential to be a stunning display.
Tell us more about the location you are planning for this vivarium. How much water do you want? A few inches? A foot or two? Do you have a tank already or do you plan on building one, perhaps?
I'm sure several of us on the board would be very interesting in following this project and helping in any way we can.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:14 PM   #3
Swippersmom

The vivarium will be located in my room along a wall that use to house my computer table. So I have plenty of room. I want a rather large area of water, I was planning to get a pond liner and use that. One reason is they come in various shapes, and some of them come with there own draining system which will be a key component as I will have to change the water atleast once a week with a filter in it.
Old 08-14-2004, 05:00 PM   #4
xxll
Algae Grower

the new dimetions look good, but iv never herd of a water dragon getting 4 feet long they are normaly 20-30 inchs when fully grown, what kind is it? austrilian or chines(asian)???it realy does not matter in reference to caging, the easyest way to creat a water area in a large tank were deep water is need is to cut a peice of plexy galss and slicon that in as teh divider, pond liner is expensive and you won't be abole to creat a deep enough pond, water dragons are active and will trample many plants so get sturdy thick stemed plants like ficus trees, pothes and small palms, backgrounds give the tank a hole nother dimetion, for a tank of your size i would use coco panels, you can mount epyhites on these and the dragon wont bother them much, for the substright use a base layer of pea gravel or terra lite, then add a substright devider and the main substright, coco beeding is great, just add some partioly decomposing leaves and some reptile bark to give it good drainage over that you can put oak leaves to give it a foresty look, but a nice peice of wood in so it goes from that water 2 the land
that should give you some ideas
good luck!
xxll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2004, 04:50 PM   #5
Swippersmom

thank you so much, and it is a chinese water dragon, all of the pictures i have seen online have them like 3 feet long or more, some are acutally really fat, too. Check out Tricia's water dragon page to get an idea of what i am talking about, as far as how big they get. I didn't mean to say pondliner. I meant preformed pond that i would cut the shape out of the bottom to fit so that it was actually resting on the floor so i could do the drainage better. Being that the enclosure would be made of wood what could i use to make the wood waterproof and would not hurt my baby?
Old 09-07-2004, 10:32 PM   #6
xxll
Algae Grower

iv never seen a preformed pond liner small enough to fit in to a tank, realy your only options in afraid aer the 2 iv mentioned, i think any nontoxic water proofer would work,just remember to seal up every little hole, a better plan would be to use glass, there are a lot of great articals on making them so i dont think youl have to much trubble, any other questions about anything,
pleaz ask
xxll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2004, 01:19 AM   #7
creepingdeath086
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to creepingdeath086

for the waterproofing of the wood use west systems epoxy and hardener, i built my own fishtank out of plywood and its been holding, all ya gotta do is paint it on, they sell it at marine and boating stores
creepingdeath086 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2004, 09:24 PM   #8
skylsdale
Planted Member

The problem I see with most lizard enclosures is that they look so unbelievably tacky and fake (straight branches, silk plants, astroturf on the floor, rubbermaid tub of water, etc). I guess it's functional, but looks like garbage, IMO. I would really try to make something as naturalistic as possible, if you can. Something along these lines, but a MUCH larger scale:

Maybe put some lateral and diagonal branches across the majority of the tank (I don't know much about water dragon behavior or what they prefer, so this is just a guess as to what would satisfy them), and then down in the lower regions put some rocks, moss, wood debris, leaf litter, etc. that would replicate the edge of a small creek in the forest. Here's an image of an 80 gal (48x18x23) I set up to keep some cooler growing epiphytic orchids:

By adding some larger rocks and whatnot, and maybe increasing the water level...then filling in with moss, bromeliads, and various other plants (DEFINITELY some Ficus benjamani) and you've got a very cool and natural looking enclosure. You've also got an extra foot or two of height and two more feet of length to play with then I did...so you can do some great stuff in there.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:46 AM   #9
pale

Sadly, I have all of the elements that Skylsdale despises in my enclosure.

This currently houses a group of Mountain Horned Dragons. Originally, it housed my six-year-old water dragon, who unfortunately passed away about 2 years ago.
I agree, to a point. Often times they do look cheesy, but in my opinion, and experience, function outweighs aesthetics in terms of maintaining an animal occupant larger than a day gecko. All natural vivaria are stunning - but a grown water dragon would trash it inside of a week. When I obtained my dragon as a hatchling, I gave an all natural setup a shot - live plants and all. The juvenile dragons claws made quick work of the leaves and stems, and those that it couldn't shred, it instead uprooted. In short, it was frustrating. I won't say it's impossible, but will likely require a good deal more research and work on your part to meld thriving live plants in a water dragon enclosure. As for the plastic pond, I say go for it. Sounds like a great idea. Use an adequate heater and pump and you could indeed have both a supremely functional, and visually beautiful enclosure.

My enclosure for a single dragon was 5'H, 4'W, and 2'D. There are others that have created very large enclosures and have incorporated live plants successfully. Check out George Buce's water dragon setup, or JWorlds Enclosures (These are not live plants, but absolutely stunning nonetheless. Best of luck with your dragon, they are wonderful animals.
pale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2005, 02:52 AM   #10
foghaven911
Algae Grower

From what I have read, the water dragon will need about a 70gal tank when it is full grown. A 6'^ x 6'> x 3' should hold upto 3 water dragons,
foghaven911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 06:49 AM   #11
Bserve
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

If you are still around, do you have any photos on Swipper's size?
Bserve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.