Substrate and lighting questions for 5gal Fluval Chi
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 06-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
TehDopeness
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Substrate and lighting questions for 5gal Fluval Chi

New to the forums, so time for my first of many questions! I have a Fluval Chi that I have been using as my betta tank, and recently I've gotten the itch to plant it. I wanted to use the Fluval planted substrate, but I was unaware if it contained ammonia like the ADA substrate does. Also, I'm getting rid of the stock light/filter combo because it's garbage, and was wondering if this light would be okay
http://www.marinedepot.com/Ecoxotic_...FILDTN-vi.html
I like the profile of the light but didn't know if three LEDs would be a significant source of light. Thanks in advance, and here is a picture of my betta for your viewing entertainment!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	165401  

TehDopeness is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (428/100%)

Fluval Stratum will not leach ammonia.

It also contains very little in the realm of plant nutrition, so you'd need to use root tabs or get a better substrate if that's important to you.

What size is your Chi?

Could you specifically name the light fixture you're considering? The link may not work for some and it will be easier if you just say what you hope to use.

What kind of plants do you hope to grow? What kind of light level are you hoping to achieve?

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 06-27-2013 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: typo
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
TehDopeness
Algae Grower

Ecoxotic EcoPico LED Arm Light and LED Strip. I'm not sure on plants yet, but I have a pressurized co2 system ready so most likely high light plants like DHG and such. It's a 5gal Chi. I also have the brightwell aquatics potassium, nitrogen, and iron and trace elements liquid bottles.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #4
TehDopeness
Algae Grower

And if not the Fluval, could you recommend something that would not leech ammonia?
Old 06-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #5
CheyLillymama22
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

I don't know much about the substrate or lighting, but I notice your crowntail appears to have some damaged rays and fin tattering on his tail.
How long have you had him?
Gorgeous colors on him!
CheyLillymama22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:36 PM   #6
assasin6547
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDopeness View Post
And if not the Fluval, could you recommend something that would not leech ammonia?
Most any substrate will not leach ammo.

But if your pH is low enough, all the ammonia will be converted into ammonium. Are you asking for a fertile substrate that does not leach?
Old 06-27-2013, 01:16 AM   #7
TehDopeness
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyLillymama22 View Post
I don't know much about the substrate or lighting, but I notice your crowntail appears to have some damaged rays and fin tattering on his tail.
How long have you had him?
Gorgeous colors on him!
Thank you! I thought he was pretty gorgeous myself! And I've had him for about 2 months. Honestly I wouldn't know what to look for to see if his fins are damaged. That picture was taken when we first bought him. I'll get another one up so you can see and compare, and thank you for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by assasin6547 View Post
Most any substrate will not leach ammo.

But if your pH is low enough, all the ammonia will be converted into ammonium. Are you asking for a fertile substrate that does not leach?
Yes. I have the Brightwell Aquatics Volcanit Cafe in my 29gal planted, so I will probably go with that since it has worked amazingly. I wanted the Fluval Substrate cause it was cheap, but everything is cheap for a reason I guess. Thanks for the response! Anyone have any info or thoughts on lighting?
Old 06-27-2013, 03:23 AM   #8
assasin6547
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

I would answer somewhatshocked's questions, so we know more about your situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
What size is your Chi?

Could you specifically name the light fixture your'e considering? The link may not work for some and it will be easier if you just say what you hope to use.

What kind of plants do you hope to grow? What kind of light level are you hoping to achieve?
Old 06-27-2013, 03:42 AM   #9
TehDopeness
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by assasin6547 View Post
I would answer somewhatshocked's questions, so we know more about your situation.
I believe I did on the third post down, unless I'm missing something or misunderstanding something?
Old 06-27-2013, 11:48 AM   #10
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (428/100%)

If you want to go high-light with pressurized CO2, then you won't be able to use the fixture you're thinking about.

It would be a better idea for you to do some reading here on the forum. Start with the sticky in the Lighting section. Once you have a basic grasp on lighting levels (I promise it's not difficult to understand if you try to understand it), then you'll have a feel for fixtures that will suit your needs.

What are the dimensions of your tank? Lighting level will be determined based in part on the distance from your substrate to your light fixture.

Since you're new to the hobby, it may be a good idea to get a fixture that you can raise or lower. I.E., if you realize high light, CO2 and daily fert dosing isn't for you? Then you can raise the fixture and just keep your plants without all the pressure of maintaining things every day.

Additional note: Do a bit of reading in the Substrate section, as well, or check out some of the thousands of tank journals here on the forum for substrate ideas.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:35 PM   #11
jjt
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Im using the 13w fluval ebi light for my chi. Not sure how well it will turn out yet since im still in dsm.Check out my journal to see the tank with dhg and amanzonia
Def need a stronger light since the chi is pretty tall and ur light will have to go through a bit of water..
Nice looking betta btw

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
jjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:33 PM   #12
TehDopeness
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
If you want to go high-light with pressurized CO2, then you won't be able to use the fixture you're thinking about.

It would be a better idea for you to do some reading here on the forum. Start with the sticky in the Lighting section. Once you have a basic grasp on lighting levels (I promise it's not difficult to understand if you try to understand it), then you'll have a feel for fixtures that will suit your needs.

What are the dimensions of your tank? Lighting level will be determined based in part on the distance from your substrate to your light fixture.

Since you're new to the hobby, it may be a good idea to get a fixture that you can raise or lower. I.E., if you realize high light, CO2 and daily fert dosing isn't for you? Then you can raise the fixture and just keep your plants without all the pressure of maintaining things every day.

Additional note: Do a bit of reading in the Substrate section, as well, or check out some of the thousands of tank journals here on the forum for substrate ideas.
Thanks for the response! My tank is 10"x10"x 12" high. I've read some stuff on the light stickys and there is a couple questions I have, but I'll ask them in there. I'm not worried about the maintaining pressure, since I'm already doing it with my 29 gal, but I will keep it in mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjt View Post
Im using the 13w fluval ebi light for my chi. Not sure how well it will turn out yet since im still in dsm.Check out my journal to see the tank with dhg and amanzonia
Def need a stronger light since the chi is pretty tall and ur light will have to go through a bit of water..
Nice looking betta btw

I will check that out! I asked the guy at my LFS and he said that light could work, but if I wanted high light I'd have to grab 2 of them to hang on there, and that's just a little much. And thanks for the betta comment =)
Old 06-28-2013, 01:56 AM   #13
jjt
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

2 13w lights is a bit too much imo. 26w on a 5g????

jjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:00 AM   #14
TehDopeness
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjt View Post
2 13w lights is a bit too much imo. 26w on a 5g????

From what I've read, it's more about the PAR, not wattage