overheat a nano
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 06-26-2013, 01:34 AM   #1
starquestMM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

overheat a nano

I've got a 5g metaframe/pemco that is cycling in and it is getting a little hot.

Its getting to 84ish when my house is at 78. Eventually I will move this tank to my work where they turn off the AC on weekends. So I'm worried it will get way too hot.

It has two 13watt cfls in the hood and the hood is pretty air tight.

I could add some vent holes to the hood. I'm a little reluctant to cut up this sweet hood if it might not work.

Anybody tackled this problem before or have ideas? The hood is a dual socket for up to a 40w T10... I can't imagine how hot that would have gotten.

Thanks
Mike
starquestMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2013, 02:53 AM   #2
plantastic37
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

The best way to cool a tank is evaporation! If you place a fan to blow on the surface it could help cool the tank by 10 degrees. You will definitely need some kind of auto top off system though perhaps.
plantastic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:21 AM   #3
starquestMM
Algae Grower

Here is a pic to show how well fit the hood is. There might not be enough air circulation to help evaporation work.

I'm considering adding vent holes where the red circles are. Up high would hopefully let some heat out.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:31 AM   #4
Jonny
Planted Member

The top looks metal which conducts heat well anyway, it might be worth trying just having a fan blow across the top of the hood itself and see if that helps?
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:19 AM   #5
aznartist34
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

You could leave the hood open and get those small 9w cfl bulbs to replace those 13w
aznartist34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #6
crazydog64
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Or maybe get real crazy on it and switch out the light's for some LED's which should produce quite a bit less heat?
crazydog64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:07 AM   #7
starquestMM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
The top looks metal which conducts heat well anyway, it might be worth trying just having a fan blow across the top of the hood itself and see if that helps?
I set up a computer fan blowing across the hood. I'll let it go all day tomorrow to see how that does.

I checked nuildmyled.com and they do have a 12" led. Its really to wide (2") to fit the hood well. the fixture would be really close to the water surface.

Are there any other 12" led fixtures? 1.5" wide would be perfect.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:49 AM   #8
starquestMM
Algae Grower

Ok, a 4" computer fan just blowing on the outside of the hood brought it down to 81 with a room temp of 78. So thats a pretty good solution.

While digging through computer parts, I saw this old video card heatsink and got to thinking maybe I could get a piece of extruded heatsink for the top. If it was polished it wouldn't look out of place at all.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:55 PM   #9
starquestMM
Algae Grower

Just an update:

A 6"x10" heatsink set on top of the hood brought temp down to 82F. Not quite as good as the fan, but still decent for being completely passive.

I think I've pretty much made up my mind to go with some sort of LED conversion. Just swapping from a 26watts worth of CFL to 22watts of LED ought to make a little temp reduction. And if the LEDs are too bright, dimming will lower that 22watts which will be even better.