Flickering Fugeray
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Finnex / Schuber Wright

Old 12-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #1
rozdaboff
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)

Flickering Fugeray

I noticed today that my 20" Fugeray (bought late last month from Aquavibrant- in use for the past two weeks) has a flicker (light intensity changing). It is subtle - but very noticeable, especially if the room lights are out. This is the first that I have noticed it - but it has been doing it all morning now.

Is this normal - but something I didn't pick up on before - or is there something wrong?
rozdaboff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
slavecorps
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

My 12" fugeray does this too. I find that the position of the power cable has something to do with it because when I move the cable it will flicker more or less depending on the position. It's an inexpensive fixture and I wouldn't be surprised if the solder joints that connect the power supply to the circuit board on the fixture aren't the greatest and the movement of the wires is creating a small amount of resistance in the solder connections.
slavecorps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
Lowe
Finnex

PTrader: (2/100%)

Hey guys. Try plugging it in to a different outlet or if it is plugged in to a timer, remove the timer completely to see if the problem still persist.
Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
slavecorps
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hi Lowe,

I am plugged directly into the wall outlet and have tried multiple outlets in 2 different residences in Chicago, Illinois and Orlando, Florida. The issue seems to come from stress on the solder joints on the circuit board. Careful positioning of the power cord on my fixture seems to correct the issue. This has happened since I got the fixture in August. Not really a big deal since once I get the fixture set up and the power cord set up with little tension on the point where it goes into the fixture, that's where it stays and the lights don't flicker when positioned in such a way.

When I get a chance, I want to open the fixture up and re-do the solder joints to see if that corrects the problem permanently. I've been wanting to open it up anyways because I want to have an independent power supply for the "moonlights" so that I put them and the daylight bulbs on independent timers to automate the fixture.
slavecorps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #5
rozdaboff
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)

Sorry for not reposting sooner - I was away for holiday vacation.

Replugging directly into a wall outlet helped for the most part - but there is still an occasional flicker. It isn't the biggest deal - just wanted to make sure I wasn't imagining it.
rozdaboff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:40 AM   #6
Soup12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (65/99%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavecorps View Post
My 12" fugeray does this too. I find that the position of the power cable has something to do with it because when I move the cable it will flicker more or less depending on the position. It's an inexpensive fixture and I wouldn't be surprised if the solder joints that connect the power supply to the circuit board on the fixture aren't the greatest and the movement of the wires is creating a small amount of resistance in the solder connections.
How are you soldering to stop flickering? How are you seperating moonlights to a different outlet?

thanks
Soup12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:38 PM   #7
lullafishi
Planted Tank Obsessed

Did anyone resolve the flickering issue in the Fugeray? My 36" Fugeray is flickering (both white and blue LEDs) and it's going to drive me crazy. It flickers in different outlets (without a timer) and even in different houses.

I bought the light in February directly from Aqua Vibrant so I've sent them an e-mail about the issue. Hopefully I can get it resolved... I love the light otherwise.
lullafishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:27 PM   #8
Soup12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (65/99%)

Customer service is good, if under warranty the fix very fast and ship back to u.

I paid like $7 to ship to them
Soup12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:24 AM   #9
lullafishi
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just wanted to update in case anyone is reading or encounters a similar problem...

I shipped mine back under warranty and Finnex had it on a testing station for a week straight. They didn't notice any flickering, but since I had tested it in multiple outlets, without a timer, and in different houses they replaced the ballast and sent it back to me.

I'm pleased to say I haven't had a bad flicker since.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:37 AM   #10
IsNull
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Mine started to flicker today then shut off without coming back on. I purchased it in Sept directly from Finnex. It may be out of the 180 day warranty. Admittedly I'm not going to be real happy if their product can't make it one year.
IsNull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:44 PM   #11
Jester946
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
Mine started to flicker today then shut off without coming back on. I purchased it in Sept directly from Finnex. It may be out of the 180 day warranty. Admittedly I'm not going to be real happy if their product can't make it one year.
wow, I considered this brand...now I'm not thinking so sure about it...
Jester946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:30 PM   #12
IsNull
Algae Grower

The light itself seems really nice. It's a quality aluminum based LED housing that handles heat real well. The transformer that the light bar plugs into doesn't seem to be quiet the same quality.

If the problem is weak solder points.. makes me a little concerned about an electrical fire. I just got the email where they said it was out of warranty, but if I paid shipping they would repair it.

I can open the thing up and fix a solder point if that's all it is...
Old 06-27-2013, 05:28 PM   #13
lullafishi
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
The light itself seems really nice. It's a quality aluminum based LED housing that handles heat real well. The transformer that the light bar plugs into doesn't seem to be quiet the same quality.

If the problem is weak solder points.. makes me a little concerned about an electrical fire. I just got the email where they said it was out of warranty, but if I paid shipping they would repair it.

I can open the thing up and fix a solder point if that's all it is...
I'd just pay the shipping to have them repair it if I were you. That's the same policy for fixtures still under warranty (unless they want you to pay for shipping both ways). If it's a solder point it may be an easy fix for you, but if it's the ballast or something else and you can't fix it, they probably won't repair it for free since you opened it and tampered with it. And then you're out of luck unless you know how to replace those parts yourself.

Actually, now that I think about it, you may be able to at least open it to get a look at the solder points without really tampering with anything. Maybe take a peek to see if you can get any solder point visuals without actually messing with anything other than the end cap?

Good luck! I love my fugeray, so I really hope your issue is resolved.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #14
IsNull
Algae Grower

I want to believe this is an isolated issue. But with other users here with the same problems, I think they have a quality control problem with the transformer.

I just didn't want to ship the entire light back when shipping the transformer would do.

I wanted to upgrade my lights so I'm willing to go one more time. I've got a Daylight Ray 2 coming in to replace this one. I'll have this one repaired and will try to fleabag it depending on how much shipping will be.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #15
androsk

PTrader: (0/0%)

i fixed mine, had to open it and resolder the cables on the led strip, also punch with pliers the cables joints inside.
androsk is offline   Reply With Quote