High light algae
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 06-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
cmathews95
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

High light algae

So i just got a kens fish need it t5ho, that's 2 24'' bulbs. The fixture is about 2 or 3 inches from my 20 long tank. I leave the light on for about 9 hours. I also have co2 at abuot 1 to 2 bps. I'm starting to see algae, there's like a brown algae covering everything, and in some place a brown/black hair algae. I think is bba, or staghorn but not sure. What do I need to do to fix the problem. I also have a dirted tank, with MGCOPM. its about 3/4 months old.
cmathews95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
norbot
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Well, assuming:

20L is about a foot high?
This chart is correct:
Click image for larger version

Name:	PARvsDistT5VariousLights.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	165329

You are about 45 par which may be at the low end of medium lighting

I won't try to say what is causing it or what to do, but I looked at this and decided I would increase light to eliminate diatoms.

After light increase they went away, but it could of been several other things of course

20g journal
29g journal
55g journal
norbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
cmathews95
Algae Grower

okay, i don't think 45 par is right. Check out the chart again. Its around 60 par, maybe a little higher. I looked at the chart. Looks like I might need to increase co2.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #4
norbot
Planted Member

Okay, you say its 2 or 3 inches above tank? Does that not make it 14 or 15 inches if 20L is a foot tall? I suppose you have to factor in substrate depth, but if the light is 14-15 inches above substrate the chart says about 45 par......... not trying to argue but it seems I often read fishneedit light is not so strong, I don't have one or a par meter so I can't say

20g journal
29g journal
55g journal
Old 06-26-2013, 09:28 PM   #5
cmathews95
Algae Grower

Ok, now that I look at it, you're totally right. sorry,
But I have some bba or clado. Won't increasing the light cause them to start growing like crazy.
Thanks
Old 06-26-2013, 09:35 PM   #6
norbot
Planted Member

I'm glad we're on the same page.......incidentally I happened to just be reading this in another thread and that was said by the creator of the almighty chart, not some smart a$$ cat

For me, I had bba bad about a month into my experience, it smothered all my plants and hardscape. I added pressurized co2 and began dosing and it mostly went away, it's no longer on any plants... however I can't get it off of the hardscape directly under the light.....thinking of adding screen to cut light on hardscape areas..........

It may be a flow issue, but if it is bba, try co2 first imo.. but you say brown algae.......to me, this usually means diatoms, can you rub it off with your fingers? if not, then you are right its bba, but if you can rub it off, it's likely diatoms so I would try to simply increase light and continue to keep clean water and see if that helps

edit: I don't mean to make it sound like low light is a bad thing....in fact its quite the opposite sometimes........
sorry for the ramble

edit x2: oh yeah I said I wouldn't speculate on what is causing or what to do! whoops

20g journal
29g journal
55g journal

Last edited by norbot; 06-26-2013 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: added comment for ridiculousness
Old 06-27-2013, 06:32 PM   #7
cmathews95
Algae Grower

thanks a lot. regarding the light, what.....
Oh man, and I thought I was getting some pretty high light with that fixture. Looks like i'm gonna half to lower. it. MORE LIGHT. MORE LIGHT...

I havn't changed the water in a while, been busy, so that's a priority.
Also gotta find some ferts.
BTW. pretty helpful cat.