Aluka's Aquarium Rack - Update 8/1/13
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-27-2013, 12:10 AM   #1
aluka
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/96%)

Aluka's Aquarium Rack - Update 8/1/13

Update 8/1

Added 2.5 gallon # 3
Added 2.5 gallon #4
Tibee(oebtxcrs) hatched
Opae ulae berriedx3
blue diamonds arrived

Update:7/10

Original:

After being inspired by a picture posted by somewhatshock of his shrimp rack. I decided to get one to! I am going to move most*cough* of my tanks on to it.

I have been asking alot of questions, because I have been trying to redo/take apart/set up new tanks to prepare for the rack's arrival. So I decided that instead of starting tons of threads and asking lots of questions, I should just start a journal so you guys can answer everything all in one place. I will try to highlight questions in a different color, incase I type too much.

And if i am doing something wrong or stupid, please point it out to me so i don't kill or break anything =(

This is the shelving I brought from homedepot.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2036652...8#.UctppflweUk

its 30x12x60, so it should give me 20"x12"x ~15" per shelf, its rated to be able to hold 250 lb per shelf. What should I do to prevent the wood from getting wet? Would taping those sticky wallpaper work? or should I paint it over with a water seal?

This is how I plan on placing my tanks. I do pretty much all nano and pico tanks, so they are all really small.

How should i move the 10 gallon tanks? Should I drain 80% of the water move it and then refill it with the tank water? or should I empty 50% and refill with new water? Would that be too stressful for my shrimps? Will i break my tank if there is 5 gallon+substrate in the tank when i move it?

<if no objections, i might empty 8 gallon, refill 6 gal of original tank water, and add 2 gallon of new water, and prime in everything!>

Both my 10 gallons and my 2 nano tanks in the top 2 shelves have their own light fixture. The 5 2.5 gallons in the 3rd shelf, will be new. They are already in 2.5 gallons, but not in that footprint.The standard 2.5 gallon tank fits perfectly in the shelf. So i will attempt to cycle them all one by one in the coming weeks. Anyways, they used to each be lit by a 13w 6500k CFL. Now, I would like to light them all by one fixture. what kind of lighting options do i have? A 30 inch LED/fixture to be placed on top of all 5? install a fixture/shop light under the shelve?

I am leaning towards installing a light under the shelf itself, so if i ever decide to get rid of all 5 2.5gallon, i can still place whatever i want in that shelf. If i go with Fluorescent what wattage should i aim for? 20 watt? 40 watt? these tanks will mostly just have moss, and other easy to take care of plants. I am waiting for my bettas to die of old age and convert them all to shrimp tanks =D!. So probably no co2 in these. ( i do plan on injecting co2 in my chi on my desktop, but that is another journal.)

since they are only 2.5 gallon tanks, i am slightly afraid that 40 watts over them will cause an algae bloom. So maybe 20?

Also the last shelf, I plan on moving whats left of my emersed collection (I took some of them outside into the shade for some natural light, my sister decided they needed some sunlight, they all got cooked) into a 20L (which fits perfectly there) What kind of light should i get there?

Anyways, I will try to make this more interesting instead of strings of questions with some pictures next time. lol When my rack actually gets here =D

Thanks in advance for any answers or tips or advice!

Last edited by aluka; 08-02-2013 at 04:16 AM.. Reason: update
aluka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2013, 01:45 AM   #2
Kai808
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I would go with the larger rack if you have the room. Right now you really don't have room for expansion and it looks like you have very little clearance above the larger tanks. Will it be easy to cull out shrimp with the light in the way?

I like this rack. http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2036652...N#.UcuI-ju1G0Y and would replace the shelves with plywood and water proof it. 250 pounds sounds a little scary to me.
Kai808 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2013, 01:59 AM   #3
aluka
Wannabe Guru

i went with this one because i dont have the room. This rack is in my bedroom, lmao =D next to my bunny condo. I am not looking for expansions. I promised myself that this is it! no more additional tanks. =<... cause I still have a few besides the one on this rack scattered around the house...
Old 06-27-2013, 02:06 AM   #4
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (438/100%)

Moving tanks: Just drain water down to about an inch or two and then slowly move them over. Slowly fill them back to up avoid any stirring up of the nasties. Use your old water.

Slide the tanks onto a piece of wood to make them easier to move.

Using a single fixture would probably the cheapest and easiest route.

If you go with regular lighting, you could just get a fixture at Home Depot for cheap. If you go with LED, you could do Finnex or Current.

Just to balance things out aesthetically, I'd swap things around on the shelf with the PFR tank and 2gal TBD. Put the 2gal tank on the left and the 10gal on the right.

Last but not least, take lots of photos!
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2013, 02:09 AM   #5
dtejeda.arias
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Aluka your building something...? Don't forget to make room for kilifishes!

Thanks for your time
Danny Tejeda
dtejeda.arias is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2013, 02:16 AM   #6
Kai808
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

What is that saying about Promises? lol. I bet in a couple of months, your 20l will be full of water with a divider and housing your bettas.

I'm sure the 250lbs is stated just for safety reasons and the shelves can carry more weight. But I would definitely look into replacing or reinforcing the shelves with something stronger and waterproof.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to seeing this!
Kai808 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2013, 02:23 AM   #7
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Awesome!! I like the 48" wide, I've actually been considering that myself .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 06-27-2013, 03:30 AM   #8
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to I<3<*))))><

Sweet another rack journal! So can't wait to have the funds to start my own. Subscribing, can't wait to see it together Aluka
Stephanie - RAOK Club #130
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
I<3<*))))>< is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #9
aluka
Wannabe Guru

My shelve finally got here! =) I didn't really take any pictures when i was assembling. Mostly cause my phone was out of betteries, lol.

But here it is assembled! It came with some particle board for the shelves. They look pretty sturdy, but some of you suggested that I replace them with some new wood.

So i went to home depot. Their lumber department is surprisingly confusing! The size my my board is kind of odd its wider than all their planks. So the man there said i either have to double up (2 planks for one shelf) or buy a giant sheet (WAYYYYYYYY too big of a sheet). They will end up the same price. i like the planks better than the plywood sheets, so i ended up getting that instead. (you can see some of them already on the assembled shelf.

Today, i am going to paint the wood to seal it and make it slightly pettier. Hopefully, i don't mess up!

It took the shelf soooo long to be delivered, so in the 10 days it was in transit. We got a cat =). His name is atlas! =)

I also realized my opae ulae tank has too many shrimps, lol 35 in 2 gallons. So i took about 15 of them out and put them in jars. (top shelf of the shelf picture) Not sure what to do with them yet, but it looks pretty good, right?

Oh, i was also really bored and filled my chi =( it really needs another few weeks of dry start, but i was impaitent. I had the AC30 running in one of my cycled tanks for about 3 weeks, so hopefully it should be a quick cycle. I think i will also move my prefilter sponge from my crs tank to here to help with the cycling process. Realllly need to decide on a new light.

Oh Oh! Happy Independence day!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1559[1].jpg
Views:	63
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	168889  

Name:	IMG_1560[1].jpg
Views:	71
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	168913  

Attached Images

Last edited by aluka; 07-04-2013 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: =)
Old 07-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #10
dtejeda.arias
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

It looks good! Happy 4th

Thanks for your time
Danny Tejeda
dtejeda.arias is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #11
GreenBliss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I been thinking about doing a rack myself because of limited space and I am enjoying this thread. I am sure it will help me and someone else who may want to do the same.
2g (Snails)
11.4g (new home soon for the Pumpkin Neos)
GreenBliss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #12
aluka
Wannabe Guru

Yea and it's very simple to put together! Only took about 30 minutes and didn't even really need the intructions!
Old 07-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #13
GreenBliss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Cool. I'll be checking the rack out.
2g (Snails)
11.4g (new home soon for the Pumpkin Neos)
GreenBliss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #14
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to I<3<*))))><

Rack is looking good!!!! Bet you're all excited now to really get crazy. I know I would be.

Very reassuring to hear its a relativly easy build. My last stand I bought had me scratching my head for a good hour or two, lol.

Gah if I had some spending money right now Id be getting my rack and some tanks (petco $1 per gal sale n all)... so for now, I'll live thru you!
Stephanie - RAOK Club #130
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
I<3<*))))>< is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2013, 10:35 PM   #15
aluka
Wannabe Guru

Well watching paint dry is... waiting paint dry, lol. Its sooo hot today, i don't want to go anywhere anymore after going for lunch with my relatives.

I brought the paint from homedepot, the lady said that it'll work as a water seal to protect the wood. I still have to paint the other side too.

Anyways while this dries, i'll work on that little tank 2 gallon tank.

Its a betta fish hotel, that i brought a while back for more than i really should, lol. I'm gonna change it into another pico shrimp tank! I really wish its taller =< =D I'll probably put my oebt culls in there and mix it with a crs or two and see what happens. But first must set up and cycle.

Anyways i still can't decide on hardscape =< I really LOVE both. =/ Any suggestions? is that too much substrate?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1576.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	169153  

Name:	IMG_1577.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	169161  

Name:	IMG_1578.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	169169  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.