my fish are drunk
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 01-16-2007, 03:43 AM   #1
rullypullyfishhead
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

my fish are drunk

well tonight i had the hard lesson of diy co2 failure.i have been using the diy co2 2 liter yeast and sugar for about 4 months with some sucess.tonight when i came home i noticed my tank was not clear i figured another green
water outbreak.i feed my fish 10 neon tetras 6 german blue rams and 10 ghost shrimp.i noticed 2 of my german blue rams had color missing from there sides.i figured maybe my one chinese algae sucker got to them at night.then i noticed a film on top of the water and specks of some sort.then i look to the side of my tank and i see my 2 liter almost squeezed in half from suction.i was running my co2 line into my zoo med sweeper power filter to chop up the bubbles and i quess that is what caused the nasty alcohol soup to be sucked into my tank.i vaccumed the bottom of my tank alot of white yeast looking stuff
performed a 40% water change.changed cleaned out my fluval and power head.will do another 40%water change tommorow.oh all my fish where breathinh hard to probably gill damage.well damn any sugestions for this one.iam going to be setting up my pressurized co2 within the month i have most of my equipment.for now no co2 injection.
rullypullyfishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2007, 03:50 AM   #2
Lupin
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Had a CO2 leak before and what I did was do 40% water change and switch on two airpumps to the high level to dissipate the CO2.

Let the loach and snail assimilation begin!
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:47 PM   #3
joejoeg
Planted Member

bluebell good idea! so how many times on this forum has the DIY's attacked there tank now? lol

good luck, jordan
joejoeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 12:14 AM   #4
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

it's not a big deal.. just don't fill the bottle so ful next time and maybe buy a diffuser instead of sticking the airline into the power filter... i bought mine on aquabid.com for $10 s+H included.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:37 PM   #5
dang
Plant Lover

Also, it seems to me I've read about another thing that can help with DIY sugar/yeast soup getting into the tank: adding a second 2 liter bottle in line with just water in it. Bubble the CO2 into the bottom of the bottle letting it filter up through the water and then run an airline from top of the bottle to the tank, essentially a bubbler filter to catch junk.

I never did this myself when I ran DIY CO2 bottles, but I kept to about 3 or 4 inches of solution in a two liter bottle.

Good luck.

20L gallon, same configuration with fewer watts, suffering from tank size envy.

http://www.dangottsegen.com
dang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:09 AM   #6
rullypullyfishhead
Algae Grower

i have a 10 lb pressurized co2 system now with check valve.very happy
rullypullyfishhead is offline   Reply With Quote