Jumping fish
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-04-2007, 05:33 AM   #1
Rxblade123
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Jumping fish

I was wondering how those of you with open top tanks keep the fish that jump in. I was thinking about eggcrates to help keep them in, but it seems like it would block off some of the much needed light. Plus I would like to get some pretty small fish, so they might be able to easily get through.
Rxblade123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2007, 07:06 AM   #2
sandiegoryu
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

I'm thinking that if you have fish that jump, then don't have your tank open! :-D.

And I think eggcrates would work for bigger fish, and do you know if your small fish will jump? Are you just assuming?
Old 02-04-2007, 07:53 AM   #3
Rxblade123
Algae Grower

I dont have any fish in the tank right now. The tank is currently cycling. I was thinking of getting clown killifish, and I have read somewhere that they are known to jump.
Rxblade123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2007, 08:47 AM   #4
Lupin
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I always have my community tank open. No jumping fish so far. Unless I have hatchetfish.
I had shrimps last year and neither did they try to escape despite the fact that some people keep warning me they'll jump.

Let the loach and snail assimilation begin!
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2007, 03:01 PM   #5
Rod Hay
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

I use eggcrate, it works well for larger fish and does not significantly reduce light levels. I have great growth and color with many higher light plants, ie.: Pogostemon stellatus 'Broad Leaf', Limnophila aromatica and Ludwigia sp. 'Guinea' (75g @ 192w).

I did still loose several skittish Danio choprae to jumping. I don't think the Danios liked being in with my spastic Congo tetras. The Congos go into overdrive when competing during breeding (almost daily); and they're twice as bad at dinnertime! I never lost any Hengel's rasboras to jumping though, so it definately depends on the fish as well.
Rod Hay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2007, 03:17 PM   #6
fish_lover0591
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to fish_lover0591

Hmm i don't have any suggestions but i use a glass cover on my tanks and even though i did 1 of my fish jumped out from a small gap but i was there to put it back in its tank. Some fish get scared Very easily but i have no experience with Killifish
Old 02-04-2007, 03:38 PM   #7
kzr750r1
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxblade123 View Post
I dont have any fish in the tank right now. The tank is currently cycling. I was thinking of getting clown killifish, and I have read somewhere that they are known to jump.
I think this Killi is a top dweller and will jump. I tried the Golden Wonder for a while and lost all three over a period of time. Saved one once but the second time I didn't see/hear it.

There are a couple of methods to make them more comfortable and the best is using floating plants. Issue with this is the rest of the tank is a low light situation.

Egg Crate will work for smaller fish most of the time giving them something to bounce against and back into the tank. Probably 80% effective.

No matter what you do aside from a full cover and back shield will 100% prevent jumpers.

For the most part avoid top water fish and haven't tried Congo's for the same reason. Still want some Congo's though. I may have to try the egg crate method someday.

Nothing worse than finding fish jerky.
kzr750r1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.