Betta fish Chat - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 06-25-2013, 04:03 AM   #31
ichise
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Just sharing another of my betta planted with filter on low flow .

ichise is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 05:55 AM   #32
Vermino
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichise View Post

looks great
Vermino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:02 PM   #33
jona31
Algae Grower

Quote:

OMG THATS AN AMAZING TANK OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! :f ish:
jona31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #34
jona31
Algae Grower

Talking My tank

Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 2013-06-23 at 10.26 AM #3.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	164777
heres my tank
jona31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #35
TetraTank
Algae Grower

This is my betta Greg, found him being given away for free and thought Is let him be the first fish in my 30 gallon planted tank, he came out of a 3 gallon.

He seems pretty happy and swims the whole tank, I got some floater plants the other day and now all he does is make bubbles, the net gets bigger everyday.

I felt bad, he's had the whole tank to himself for a month now, a tank I was making to house a few tetras and yesterday someone gave me 3 emperor tetras a percilla tetra and some kind of African killifish.
He got so huffy, but nobodys bothering anyone and all seems to be good except I feel bad that the one percilla is all by herself.

Greg just keeps making his bubbles.

Sorry for bad pics, old camera.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:48 PM   #36
Vermino
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Beautiful white betta (greg) - Now I've never seen my betta create bubbles, I always thought they only did that when they were about to mate. Maybe it's just mine haha
Old 06-26-2013, 01:26 AM   #37
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (424/100%)

Terrific container!

What are its dimensions/volume?

Quote:

somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:03 AM   #38
Retrogamer82
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Here is my killer (actually he is my fiance's), his name is Blade.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1372212170200.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	165097  

Old 06-26-2013, 02:10 AM   #39
ichise
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Terrific container!

What are its dimensions/volume?
About 2.7 gallon
Old 06-26-2013, 02:12 AM   #40
ichise
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrogamer82 View Post
Here is my killer (actually he is my fiance's), his name is Blade.
Awesome tank , is it marsilea minuta for your foreground ?
Old 06-26-2013, 02:17 AM   #41
Retrogamer82
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Awesome tank , is it marsilea minuta for your foreground ?
Thanks! I believe it is... But I have a hard time telling it from other marsilea sp.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:11 AM   #42
ballerina18
Algae Grower

Default Advice for my Betta

Hello,

I could use some advice on my betta fish. Currently, I have 2 bettas. The first one is a halfmoon living alone in a 2.5gal. The other betta, crowntail, is in a 20gal community tank w/ 4 mountain minnows, 2 Siamese algae eaters, and cherry shrimp.

Here are my current concerns:

1) 2.5 gallon tank- Everything is running well, but the halfmoon betta is tormented by my cat. =( There is a glass lid and a small hood covering the tank so the cat cannot get into the aquarium, but he will jump up onto my bookcase and tap the glass with his paws. This betta seems to be particularly scared of our cat. Our cat does the same thing with the 20g, but the fish don't seem to mind. Not sure if I should be concerned. We do spray our cat with water to get him to get away from the aquariums, but he just loves the fish!

2) The betta in the 20g seems very happy, but he steals food and has an ever growing belly. I only feed once a day and I barely feed these fish as it is. I know recently I saw a baby shrimp in the tank so I'm wondering if the betta is gobbling up some of the baby shrimp.

I tried feeding the crowntail betta at one end of the tank and give the flakes to the minnows at the other end of the tank, but the betta just goes after all the food so that didn't help. =/

I'm starting to wonder if I should switch each betta into the other aquarium. Move the betta in the 2.5 gallon to the 20g and vice versa with my crowntail.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Here is my lover- halfmoon betta. I just adore his coloring!

Here is my crowntail, you can see his belly is getting quite bloated. =(
ballerina18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:49 AM   #43
jjt
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermino View Post
Beautiful white betta (greg) - Now I've never seen my betta create bubbles, I always thought they only did that when they were about to mate. Maybe it's just mine haha
Your betta saw you and it was like "no bubbles!!!!!"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
jjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:29 AM   #44
ichise
Algae Grower

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerina18 View Post
Here is my crowntail, you can see his belly is getting quite bloated. =(
Hi , your betta is too bloated , will have swimming disorder , I will remove it alone and stop feeding it for few days . They can survive 2 weeks without food (just saying they can doesn't mean you should do it) .
Want a healthy betta , feed it alittle twice a day , feed for 6 days , fast it for 1 day .
Old 06-26-2013, 07:11 AM   #45
Vermino
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerina18 View Post
Hello,

I could use some advice on my betta fish. Currently, I have 2 bettas. The first one is a halfmoon living alone in a 2.5gal. The other betta, crowntail, is in a 20gal community tank w/ 4 mountain minnows, 2 Siamese algae eaters, and cherry shrimp.

Here are my current concerns:

1) 2.5 gallon tank- Everything is running well, but the halfmoon betta is tormented by my cat. =( There is a glass lid and a small hood covering the tank so the cat cannot get into the aquarium, but he will jump up onto my bookcase and tap the glass with his paws. This betta seems to be particularly scared of our cat. Our cat does the same thing with the 20g, but the fish don't seem to mind. Not sure if I should be concerned. We do spray our cat with water to get him to get away from the aquariums, but he just loves the fish!

2) The betta in the 20g seems very happy, but he steals food and has an ever growing belly. I only feed once a day and I barely feed these fish as it is. I know recently I saw a baby shrimp in the tank so I'm wondering if the betta is gobbling up some of the baby shrimp.

I tried feeding the crowntail betta at one end of the tank and give the flakes to the minnows at the other end of the tank, but the betta just goes after all the food so that didn't help. =/

I'm starting to wonder if I should switch each betta into the other aquarium. Move the betta in the 2.5 gallon to the 20g and vice versa with my crowntail.
1) There isn't anything you can do about the cat situation. If water doesn't deter the cat from viewing the betta, your kind-of out of luck. If I were you, the best thing to do when this is happening is create something more interesting for the cat (ie: giving him treats in his kitty bowl when he gets near the fish tank) this could sway his interest of going to the fish bowl to check out his kitty dish.

You could also do black outs with a towel once in awhile giving the betta some peaceful serenity so he doesn't see the cat. (stressed fish will lose alot of their color and could possibly die from it)

2) I really don't know you can do first - you might need to house that betta in another tank for a bit (only if your other fish aren't getting enough food).
when feeding him, which will ALWAYS come first over other fish - use tweezers and make him realize these steel appendages are what's going to produce food for him. Once he learns that that's where food comes from - you can now detour him around the tank with hopes of food while you feed the other fish. I have to do this with my betta when trying to feed my amano shrimp.

2 pt.2) feed your betta a piece of a pea if he is constipated - usually when they eat too much they will become constipated and start to show signs of swim bladder disorder.

Anyways this is what I found to be the best way to go about dealing with those situations. Every cat is different and so are betta's. I do have a cat and my tank is RIGHT next to the bed that he sleeps on. Depends on how far your cat will go for a betta, if he is just a viewer - it might just be your betta needing some insurance. When it's close to feeding time for my betta, I like to let him follow my finger on the glass. If you do something that keeps the betta's attention, he will less likely be focused on the cat and more on "feeding time".