Soaking fish food in garlic
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 06-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Soaking fish food in garlic

I've been doing a little reading on this topic, and there is a lot of info contradicting a lot of others info. So I am not sure where to start.

I have read that garlic is good for boosting the immune system, and appetite for fish. I have also read that it helps get rid of internal parasites.

So where do I began with this and how often should I feed to my fish? I have seen where people soak fish food in garlic extract from minced garlic containers, and/or mince fresh garlic and soak in water then soak fish food in that.

What do you all do? Have you tried this? And if so, how often do you feed this treat to fish? And does it really work for internal parasites?

p.s. Alot of my readings have come from reef community websites/articles, so I am not sure if much of what that says holds true to freshwater fish.

Fish
3 GBR, 2 Bolivian Rams, 1 Juvenile Super Red BN Plecos, 9 Oto Catfish, 9 Bloodfin Tetras
Plants
Rotala Indica, Cardamine, Crypt Spiralis, Pygmy Chain Swords, Dwarf Sag, Lutea Crypt, Wendtti Bronze and Red, and Floating Frogbit
Cinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

i do this randomly for my salt tank. boosts the immune system and no negative affects.

not sure about fresh water fish though... probably the same deal. I believe the immunity assumption is based off of human use though.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

i've soaked freeze dried bloodworm in minced garlic water before - the FISH LOVE IT. now, they attack those bloodworm immediately even without garlic infusion.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

I've also read how its good for encouraging appetite in SW fish as well as boosting immune systems. I thought I'd try it for S&G's. I thawed out some brine shrimp in a little warm water and some 'juice' from a minced garlic container and poured it into my tank with angels and rams. They LOVED it.

Nobody was sick before and all were eating well so I can't tell if it 'helped' but it certainly hasn't done any harm.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:43 AM   #5
inthepacific
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

its good for fish. doesn't harm them at all. they have that stuff called garlic guard basically the same. it really helps when you have new fish that are adjusting to your tank that you think aren't eating.
inthepacific is offline   Reply With Quote