Keeping 1 discus
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-02-2007, 07:06 PM   #1
mnsnowdaboy
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Keeping 1 discus

I know somebody that is giving up on the hobbie and all his discus died exept one. Do you guys think it's good to go rescue it but only have 1 in my tank.

These are expensive fish so I don't know when the next time I'll be buying another one to keep him company. So keeping just one in a tank, is that ok....if that is all I can do for now. I know they should atleast be paired but as long as he can hold for about 2 months or so when I get a bigger tank.
mnsnowdaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2007, 10:35 PM   #2
crazie.eddie
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to crazie.eddie Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie Send a message via MSN to crazie.eddie Send a message via Yahoo to crazie.eddie

Depends what the other discus died of. If it was parasite or bacterial, then I would not introduce it into your tank, unless you do not have any other fish in there. Of course, the only problem is, if you need to use any meds, the meds might effect your plants. Unless you put the discus in a QT tank for awhile.

I would much prefer that the discus go to another person, who keeps other discus and can give good care. I'm not saying you would not be able to take good care of it, but at least, the discus can be with other discus. Discus, do better in groups.
125 gal (473 liter): Low Tech (1.5wpg PC for 10 hours, no CO2/ferts, gravel substrate), Equipment (72" Coralife PC, Eheim Pro II 2128 w/built in heater, FilStar XP3 w/Hydor ETH201 inline heater), Fish (6*Discus, 2*Angel, 5*Clown loaches, 4*L-018 Gold Nugget pleco, 1*L-260 Queen Arabesque pleco, 7*Cories, Farlowella cat)
crazie.eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:43 PM   #3
TheOtherGeoff
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff

either take it and go buy more or take it somewhere where it can be kept with more. they are not solitary animals

75 Gallon Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for The Trout Tank
TheOtherGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:57 PM   #4
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

it depends on what setup you have too.. they require, soft, low pH, clean waters... and room to swim. so if your setup is not that then you can't really rescue the guy.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 04:15 AM   #5
joejoeg
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

there next to schooling fish ide say. VERY hard to keep the tank clean especially when its not bare bottom. not for the beginner , even a rescue can end up costing you alot in water treatment , meds, equipment blah blah blah.

90 gallon-fully planted, dual aquaclear 110s , pressurized co2, dual double glo HO t5 2.3 wpg.(tetras)
125 gallon- 5 frontosa, 12 yellow labs, 2 blue dolphins
125 gallon- 25 assorted discus
65 gallon- REEF 6 tube t5 by t-tech
37 gallon- REEF 400 watt 20,000 k metal halide.
joejoeg is offline   Reply With Quote