Livebearers - 2 females vs 6+ males
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 06-25-2013, 07:14 AM   #1
Kehy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Livebearers - 2 females vs 6+ males

I've been trying to get my Heterandria Formosa (Least Killie) colony going, but I've had a few hiccups. Mainly that I only started with 2 females, which I both lost after they gave me a handful of fry. I have 3 remaining adult males, plus the largest of the fry, most of whom are turning out to be male. I believe at the moment I have 2-3 females, and several more aggressive males. At the moment the girls are chilling in a fry tank, and old enough to move over, but I'm not sure if I should let them into the adult tank with all the males or keep them safe in the fry tank. I'm fairly sure that male bullying contributed to at least one of the original female's deaths.

If need be, I can move a few of the males to an outdoor pond, but I'd rather wait on that a bit. But I'd really like to get some more baby-makin' going on...
Or I could temporarily move my best male and the girls in a small tank for a little visit, before letting them go back to their tanks. If so, how long to leave them together?
Thoughts?
Kehy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 07:27 AM   #2
Neptoon'd
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I'm not familiar with killie fish. But I have other livebearers, mollies.

Based on what you said, at most, I would allow the two-three females and the best male to be together for a bit. I wouldn't put just a few girls in with so many male fish. If killie fish are at all like the other overly amorous male livebearers, then your hunch that male bullying contributed to earlier deaths may end up being confirmed.

Another thing, if your female fry are with the males, they may already be pregnant. Just something to keep in mind.

Good luck. I'll hope that someone experienced with your particular fish will stop by with suggestions for you.
Neptoon'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
gSTiTcH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Too many males for the females. They will be raped to death.

The ratio should be the other way around. 2-3 females per male.
RAOK Club #105

Pay It Forward, Further the Community!

It's CO2. See-Oh-Two. Not C02 (see-zero-two).
gSTiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
JLD
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Definitely your best male with 2-3 females, better for the health of all those involved.
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

after the baby making visit, the females may need to be separated as they will be perpetually harassed by the sexually charged males unless your females are larger and full grown. more likely to fend for themsevles as adults though being outnumbered may supersede that guideline
Old 06-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #6
Kehy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptoon'd View Post
I'm not familiar with killie fish. But I have other livebearers, mollies.

Based on what you said, at most, I would allow the two-three females and the best male to be together for a bit. I wouldn't put just a few girls in with so many male fish. If killie fish are at all like the other overly amorous male livebearers, then your hunch that male bullying contributed to earlier deaths may end up being confirmed.

Another thing, if your female fry are with the males, they may already be pregnant. Just something to keep in mind.

Good luck. I'll hope that someone experienced with your particular fish will stop by with suggestions for you.
Least Killies aren't actually killies, they're related to the guppy. I've been moving over the males before they're completely mature, and the females don't appear to be pregnant, so I think I moved the boys before they realized the girlies were around.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #7
Kehy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the input guys. I'll probably do the visiting thing, and just keep the females in the fry tank for now. How long should the male be with the females? 10 minutes? (hey, my boys work fast) And hour? A day?
Old 06-26-2013, 06:47 PM   #8
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

and least killie do not have all their fry at one time like most livebearers, they have one or 2 at a time over several days. i have this fish and have had them for a while. great little fish and over time the colony will grow. it is way better to keep 1 male to several females cause of stress. i would move all but one male out to another tank and put the females in the tank you want them in with a single male. give it some time and you will have lots
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:12 AM   #9
Kehy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I ended up moving the girls and a nice male into a different tank for about an hour. The females went back in the fry tank, and the male went back into the display tank. About 3 seconds into being moved to the visitation tank, the male started going nuts for the girls. And an immature male I had accidentally put in there, he was convinced was a female.

Also I added two male scarlet badis to the boy's tank today, and a male jumped into the badis's container while they were acclimating and tried to...breed them.
*facepalms*