Help! What substrate do I need? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 06-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #16
hambone870
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

go get a bag of miracle grow organic choice potting mix from your local hardware store

you can screen out some of the larger wood pieces if you choose, I just rip the bag and pour

soak it, cap it, fill with water

be prepared to do a few big water changes as it will leach tannins for the first week or so

[Hambone's House]

[Culture Club]
hambone870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #17
AntiSoberSam
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone870 View Post
go get a bag of miracle grow organic choice potting mix from your local hardware store

you can screen out some of the larger wood pieces if you choose, I just rip the bag and pour

soak it, cap it, fill with water

be prepared to do a few big water changes as it will leach tannins for the first week or so
Is miracle grow organic the best as far as potting soil goes for a planted tank? I don't mind spending a little more if there is something better. Thanks for the info!
Old 06-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #18
Stone454
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have used miracle grow organic in four of my tanks and it has worked just fine, and lots of people say to cap with pool filter or play sand, I have tried those and I did not like either, those types of sand are usually mined somewhere close to where you live and you never really have a clue what they will do to your water, in my case it made my ph rise to such a dark purple on the test kit it looked black basically, I would suggest using black diamond blasting sand if you are looking to save a bit of money you can get it for like 8 bucks for a 50 pound bag and looks as nice if not better than the black sand that is sold for aquarium use,I will pretty much use it from now for all of my tanks
Stone454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #19
AntiSoberSam
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone454 View Post
I have used miracle grow organic in four of my tanks and it has worked just fine, and lots of people say to cap with pool filter or play sand, I have tried those and I did not like either, those types of sand are usually mined somewhere close to where you live and you never really have a clue what they will do to your water, in my case it made my ph rise to such a dark purple on the test kit it looked black basically, I would suggest using black diamond blasting sand if you are looking to save a bit of money you can get it for like 8 bucks for a 50 pound bag and looks as nice if not better than the black sand that is sold for aquarium use,I will pretty much use it from now for all of my tanks
Awesome. I want to cap the potting soil with black sand anyway and blasting sand won't be as easily disturbed as the fine stuff. Win!

Tags
aquascape, substrate