Opinions: fish with the most "personality" - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 06-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #46
James M
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud_Mum_2012 View Post
Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Why don't you leave it at that instead of trying to assert yours. You just end up coming accross as a jerk.

Look I stand by what I said, goldfish are smart comparatively speaking, but in the greater realm of fish they're pretty darn stupid.

I had a Dalmation back in the day - he was smart - compared to some other dog, somewhere I'm sure.
In dog world though he was as dumb as a stick in the mud - like a big, white spotted land goldfish. Dalmation lovers will object as will the goldfish lovers, but there's really no need. It is what it is. I like all the fish regardless, I don't feel the need to be attached either way. In 30 years of observation and fishkeeping, working in stores as wholesalers though I do feel entitled to express what I've observed - even if it offends you. Sorry.
Flowerhorns are inbred/cross bred garbage, attractive garbage, but garbage. (sorry, not a fan of cross-bred fish) I wouldn't use them as a benchmark, and even then you're going to have a cross section with regard to intelligence. Some very smart ones too for sure. You can set the benchmarks wherever you want, and yes then you can call goldfish smart - be my guest. I on the other hand have the right to put that in perspective according my own observations. You can ignore that if you wish, follow your own advice and "leave it" if you want.

Spend some time with other larger cichlids, or especially marine groupers and triggers, fish that look back at you and you'll know what I mean.

Gotta go, I have a few goldfish, and some other much smarter (and some dumber) fish to feed. No hard feelings though. I happen to be a goldfish fan.
James M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2013, 06:31 PM   #47
Jonny
Planted Member

Corries! Once you go Cory you never go back lol

I remember reading about Oscars once too, they are meant to have incredible personalities. Playing with toys, sulking, redecorating their tanks, spitting things out the tank they don't like, letting you touch them. I would love to have one.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:09 AM   #48
Proud_Mum_2012
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by James M View Post
Look I stand by what I said, goldfish are smart comparatively speaking, but in the greater realm of fish they're pretty darn stupid.

I had a Dalmation back in the day - he was smart - compared to some other dog, somewhere I'm sure.
In dog world though he was as dumb as a stick in the mud - like a big, white spotted land goldfish. Dalmation lovers will object as will the goldfish lovers, but there's really no need. It is what it is. I like all the fish regardless, I don't feel the need to be attached either way. In 30 years of observation and fishkeeping, working in stores as wholesalers though I do feel entitled to express what I've observed - even if it offends you. Sorry.
Flowerhorns are inbred/cross bred garbage, attractive garbage, but garbage. (sorry, not a fan of cross-bred fish) I wouldn't use them as a benchmark, and even then you're going to have a cross section with regard to intelligence. Some very smart ones too for sure. You can set the benchmarks wherever you want, and yes then you can call goldfish smart - be my guest. I on the other hand have the right to put that in perspective according my own observations. You can ignore that if you wish, follow your own advice and "leave it" if you want.

Spend some time with other larger cichlids, or especially marine groupers and triggers, fish that look back at you and you'll know what I mean.

Gotta go, I have a few goldfish, and some other much smarter (and some dumber) fish to feed. No hard feelings though. I happen to be a goldfish fan.

Proud_Mum_2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:19 AM   #49
Jonny
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuro View Post
I think goldfish are smart, my ranchu are way smarter then my flowerhorn and i had my goldfish for about a decade and flowerhorn for few years. Here an interesting video with a train goldfish and there a few more on youtube but i really like this one lol.
Unbelievable Goldfish Plays Fetch - YouTube

Also i think dwarf puffer have the most unique personality, i swear they always observing me even after i feed them.
OMG that is awesome
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
behavior