Injured Peppered Cory
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 06:13 PM   #1
Jonny
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Cheltenham
Posts: 209
Unhappy

Injured Peppered Cory


Hi everyone,

Last night I noticed the absence of my most proactive cory 'Whiskers.' After 5 minutes of searching I was stumped, then spotted a silvery sparkle as I moved my head.

I saw to my horror that Whiskers was stuck between 3 'branches' of a fake root (the only fake thing in the tank) that I use to prop up the end of a piece of driftwood.

I tried to encourage him out by moving my hand closer but he was clearly stuck. I jumped into action and got the root up to the water surface. He had somehow wedged himself between three parallel pencil sized pieces of the decoration. The barbs in his two pectoral fins and the one in the dorsal (or is it adipose) fin were stuck between the three pencil branches.

I tried to encourage him out in reverse but right behind was another branch and his tail was already bent. I really am baffled how he got in.

He stayed calm most the time as we looked eye to eye, but every now and then would panic and undo the work I had done in reversing his trapped state.

After several attempts being as gentle as I could I managed to manipulate him out. As the adrenaline stopped pumping he settled at the front of the tank by me and we sat looking at each other (It is probably just my human mind imagining things, but I swear he was thanking me.)

My big concern is that ever since he has been incredibly inactive, he is breathing fine and occasionally roots in the sand eating but he isn't swimming round much or for anything more than a short movement.

I'm worried something has broken, in his back or more likely the barb in one of his pectoral fins. There is no apparent surface damage. How can I tell, what can I do? Any advice would be incredibly appreciated.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
I3raven
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 422
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
Hi everyone,

Last night I noticed the absence of my most proactive cory 'Whiskers.' After 5 minutes of searching I was stumped, then spotted a silvery sparkle as I moved my head.

I saw to my horror that Whiskers was stuck between 3 'branches' of a fake root (the only fake thing in the tank) that I use to prop up the end of a piece of driftwood.

I tried to encourage him out by moving my hand closer but he was clearly stuck. I jumped into action and got the root up to the water surface. He had somehow wedged himself between three parallel pencil sized pieces of the decoration. The barbs in his two pectoral fins and the one in the dorsal (or is it adipose) fin were stuck between the three pencil branches.

I tried to encourage him out in reverse but right behind was another branch and his tail was already bent. I really am baffled how he got in.

He stayed calm most the time as we looked eye to eye, but every now and then would panic and undo the work I had done in reversing his trapped state.

After several attempts being as gentle as I could I managed to manipulate him out. As the adrenaline stopped pumping he settled at the front of the tank by me and we sat looking at each other (It is probably just my human mind imagining things, but I swear he was thanking me.)

My big concern is that ever since he has been incredibly inactive, he is breathing fine and occasionally roots in the sand eating but he isn't swimming round much or for anything more than a short movement.

I'm worried something has broken, in his back or more likely the barb in one of his pectoral fins. There is no apparent surface damage. How can I tell, what can I do? Any advice would be incredibly appreciated.
His slime coat is probably damaged so I recommend you add in something that renews his slime coat. I recommend you buy Stress Coat. It is a water dechlorinizer and it adds a new layer of slime that will help him counter any possible diseases or injuries. Along with this, do more water changes and use Stress Coat as a dechlorinizer. He's most likely stressed so I recommend you turn off lights for a week and cover the tank with a towel so your fish will be more comfortable. You could also add a bubbler so he can acquire more oxygen. Do not add food, he will most likely not eat anything for a week. Other than that, be patient and wait it out, wish you luck.
I3raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:57 PM   #3
Jonny
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Cheltenham
Posts: 209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3raven View Post
His slime coat is probably damaged so I recommend you add in something that renews his slime coat. I recommend you buy Stress Coat. It is a water dechlorinizer and it adds a new layer of slime that will help him counter any possible diseases or injuries. Along with this, do more water changes and use Stress Coat as a dechlorinizer. He's most likely stressed so I recommend you turn off lights for a week and cover the tank with a towel so your fish will be more comfortable. You could also add a bubbler so he can acquire more oxygen. Do not add food, he will most likely not eat anything for a week. Other than that, be patient and wait it out, wish you luck.
Thanks I3Raven,

I'll pop and buy some stress coat tomorrow and use it in my water change in place of my dechlorinator as you suggest.

EDIT - I just checked my dechlorinator, it says this on the back - "Haloex also contains aloe vera, which helps to reduce stress on your fish, reinforcing the body's protective mucus and improving tissue re-growth after an infection"

Is this the right stuff?

He isn't alone in the tank and they only came out of a 4 day blackout to treat BGA two days ago. They were unfed and in pitch black during that time. Would putting them all back into that for another 7 days be too much for them? Is it really ok to not feed them for 7 days?

On the upside he was having a bit of a swim and a cuddle with 'cat' (a female sterbai cory who he is very fond of. Whilst he isn't back to his hyper self it was good to see him socialising and a bit more active.

You know how they have two sets of fins on the side/underside, one set is the pectoral, not sure what the other is called. I've noticed the other corries tend to rest on the side pair mainly when they are relaxing. He seems to be using the underside pair and keeping the side pair off the ground. Do you think this is further evidence of damage to the spines in him pectoral fins?

Thanks again for your advice
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:08 AM   #4
thelub
Newbie
 
thelub's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SE Washington
Posts: 1,963
Default

Slime coat fix won't hurt the other fish. It sounds like he just went through a rough ordeal and needs some time to rest. You could also try to add some Melafix to help boost his immune system a little bit. Fish are pretty tough and I've seen them recover from very exstensive damage. The best thing you can do is let him rest, step up the water changes a little more than usual and make sure he has the best environment possible and he'll be back to swimming like before.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:11 AM   #5
Jonny
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Cheltenham
Posts: 209
Default

Thanks thelub,

He seems to have perked up a bit already, he was swimming about a lot with Cat in the last few hours before the lights went off. I'm going to do daily water changes for a few weeks and check out my LFS for something like Melafix. If not I'll try to get some online. Keep your fingers crossed for my little guy
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:26 AM   #6
thelub
Newbie
 
thelub's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SE Washington
Posts: 1,963
Default

If you can't find it, he'll probably do just fine without it. Most retail pet stores carry melafix. A local LFS should have it or something very similar. Its just an infused tea tree oil that is able to dissolve in the water column.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:13 AM   #7
Jonny
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Cheltenham
Posts: 209
Default

Thanks lub, you've put my mind at ease a bit. I'll see what I can find at the LFS and keep a close eye on him.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #8
I3raven
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 422
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
Thanks I3Raven,

I'll pop and buy some stress coat tomorrow and use it in my water change in place of my dechlorinator as you suggest.

EDIT - I just checked my dechlorinator, it says this on the back - "Haloex also contains aloe vera, which helps to reduce stress on your fish, reinforcing the body's protective mucus and improving tissue re-growth after an infection"

Is this the right stuff?

He isn't alone in the tank and they only came out of a 4 day blackout to treat BGA two days ago. They were unfed and in pitch black during that time. Would putting them all back into that for another 7 days be too much for them? Is it really ok to not feed them for 7 days?

On the upside he was having a bit of a swim and a cuddle with 'cat' (a female sterbai cory who he is very fond of. Whilst he isn't back to his hyper self it was good to see him socialising and a bit more active.

You know how they have two sets of fins on the side/underside, one set is the pectoral, not sure what the other is called. I've noticed the other corries tend to rest on the side pair mainly when they are relaxing. He seems to be using the underside pair and keeping the side pair off the ground. Do you think this is further evidence of damage to the spines in him pectoral fins?

Thanks again for your advice
Yes, it is the right stuff. Oh I didn't know you had other tank mates, I would feed less because you want the water condition to be optimal for your injured cory. Fish are known to survive without food for weeks because they are adapted to survive in their wild environment without a sufficient amount of food. It might have been injured internally, but you can't know for sure. Just make sure the water parameters are good and don't bother him too much because this will only add more stress to the fish. Hold tight and let time and patience do the work.
I3raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
Jonny
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Cheltenham
Posts: 209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3raven View Post
Yes, it is the right stuff. Oh I didn't know you had other tank mates, I would feed less because you want the water condition to be optimal for your injured cory. Fish are known to survive without food for weeks because they are adapted to survive in their wild environment without a sufficient amount of food. It might have been injured internally, but you can't know for sure. Just make sure the water parameters are good and don't bother him too much because this will only add more stress to the fish. Hold tight and let time and patience do the work.
Thanks I3raven, I'll cut down to the tiniest pink of flakes in the morning and a Pleco tablet evey other day for the Cories. He is better but still notably subdued, I'll keep up with the low stress and clean water, the little baby cory 'Garfield' seems to be spending a lot of time by his side keeping him company too :3
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012