Office Nano: 3 Gallon Iwagumi (coming to an end) - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-21-2013, 11:07 PM   #61
melanotaenia
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Looks good! You can tell that HC is just dying for CO2
melanotaenia is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2013, 02:43 AM   #62
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanotaenia View Post
Looks good! You can tell that HC is just dying for CO2
Don't torture me.

I'm fine with incredibly slow growth. It already looks fantastic. I just don't want it to die.
AnotherHobby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:15 AM   #63
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Your office is awesome! I like your set up, it's very nice. Multiple monitors, and maybe multiple tanks?

Here is some things to consider, I know people say it's been done, etc, etc, where you have HC Cuba and no Co2 and only excel but, that depends on a lot of things. All that healthy and amazing growth was done in a way where the plants had a ton of Co2, now you got the plants relying on carbon from excel.

You either go super slow on growth, where the plants basically grow at a rate that just prevents them from dying, not going to work with that Finnex by the way, or you go Co2.

You can go the slow way, Excel and Co2 from the break down of organic but that way lies damnation. That the most tedious, not fun, barely even a hobby, way. You're not going to maintain that level of growth from Excel.

People who do the slow way, they start it off slow and continue slow. People do the dry start method, start it off fast and continue with that pace (or they try to at least). The last thing I want to happen is for you to spent the next 2 weeks watching it melt.

Pick up a cheap paintball set up, 80 bucks, done. Don't do DIY Co2, that not good enough. Not for that beautiful office and certainly not enough for that beautiful tank.
FlyingHellFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #64
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

I'm going to watch it close for now. If it starts to take a turn, I can have an
Aquatek paintball setup Aquatek paintball setup
sitting in my office in 2 days flat with Amazon Prime. I'd just rather not drop another $100 if I don't have to. Also, I cut the light output of the Finnex in about 1/2 with sheet of window sceen, so it shouldn't be too much light for non-CO2.

On a side note, I have a webcam on the side now so I can peek at the tank when I'm not at work. It's not very interesting yet without any critters, but I have 7 CRS showing up on Monday. The tank is fully cycled, and the water parameters are looking good for CRS.

It updates every 5 seconds from 7am to 3pm CST: Live Webcam
Old 06-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #65
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Thats so cool! Hopefully when I start my office tank ill be able to have a webcam lol also I have two aquatek paintball setup for both my 10 gallons and they were worth every penny.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:01 PM   #66
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

So one of the complications I'll always have to deal with on this tank is that from Friday at 4pm until Monday at 7am, I'll be away from it. Today I looked at my webcam and I'm noticing algae growth on the walls of the tank already. I really want to scrub it off, but I can't until tomorrow.

Anyway, I happened to grab a 9am shot of the tank yesterday and compared it to this morning at around the same time. I have to say, I don't think I'm worried about HC melt. Look at the amount of HC growth in 24 hours in this animated gif:

Unfortunately, you can also see how quickly the algae is popping up. I think I need to put another layer of screen on the light. I'm guessing it's still too bright. Furthermore, I have no way to dose Excel over the weekend. I am dosing in the morning, and now I'm thinking I should dose Friday when I leave as well. I'm currently dosing 1mL Excel per day.

Either way, growth is excellent, so that makes me happy, and it looks like non-CO2 growth should be okay. Even the s. repens is growing fast in 24 hours. I'm just really hoping I can get the lights to a level were the plants are still happy and the algae is held at bay, otherwise I may still need CO2.

EDIT: Upon further reading, it appears to be diatom growth and is totally normal in new tanks, so I'm okay with that. Lights may be fine for now. As such the real update is that I'm seeing good growth so far!

Last edited by AnotherHobby; 06-23-2013 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: further understanding of brown stuff
Old 06-24-2013, 03:31 PM   #67
rustbucket
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Tank looks great, and I love the picture!!
rustbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:57 PM   #68
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

Thanks!

Current water parameters should be fine for CRS:

KH = 3
GH = 6
TDS = 215
Temp = 72 (always constant... office temp)

A little bit of the s. repens is melting since I filled the tank. I think this is from shipping since the exact same s. repens I put in my home tank is melting some as well. Otherwise, all of the HC looks good this morning and has grown since I saw it last Thursday (as also seen in the pic).

How thick should I let the carpet grow? I'm thinking 1/2-3/4" or so as it gets established.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #69
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

Mail came... no shrimp yet.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #70
Vermino
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherHobby View Post
Mail came... no shrimp yet.
Dont you hate those days... Just waiting for that package to arrive
Vermino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #71
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermino View Post
Dont you hate those days... Just waiting for that package to arrive
Yes it's torture!

I found out the package couldn't get shipped out until today, which is fine. It'll just be later this week. Probably best anyway since the tank is so new.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #72
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

I want to create a tank similar to this at my work. It is stable on the weekends? Even during the DSM?
Psiorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:52 PM   #73
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

It was very stable during the DSM period. I found that at least in this little tank, I didn't actually want that high of humidity. The HC grew faster when the leaves were dry, as long as the soil and roots were wet. So I'd make sure it was sprayed down good before I left on Friday, and then make sure the saran wrap was slightly tighter than usual, although not completely sealed. I had many holes poked in the wrap. It was always fine. If the glass got any moisture on it, I knew it was too damp.

When I was off for more than just the weekend, I had a coworker take care of it for me, and he did an excellent job.

As for moving forward, we'll see. It hasn't been flooded long enough to make that judgement, but I'm expecting it'll be just fine.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #74
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

Woohoo! My nano tank is now home to 7 little CRS!

They are pretty small... but they will grow... and hopefully breed.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #75
Fuzz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

That looks great! I would love to do a small nano iwagumi like that, and the way it is scaped makes it look way bigger than it really is. The tank you have is really neat with the bowed front, I think I found my next project
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote