Mr. Aqua 6g Bookshelf CRS tank - Split seam! - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-22-2013, 06:12 AM   #61
aluka
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/96%)

blew a seam? Wow i would have thought these things are better made than that. how long have you had it? maybe you can ask if they can replace it. Or re-silicone it, but i wouldn't know the first thing about how to do it =<

Old 06-22-2013, 06:18 AM   #62
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluka View Post
blew a seam? Wow i would have thought these things are better made than that. how long have you had it? maybe you can ask if they can replace it. Or re-silicone it, but i wouldn't know the first thing about how to do it =<
I bought it on 3/20 and set it up on 3/21 so it lasted exactly 3 months. I'm not sure if they have any kind of warranty, but I know I don't have a receipt or anything with a proof of purchase date anymore. I'm considering re-siliconing it, but since I don't know what I'm doing I'm afraid the same thing will happen. We'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3<*))))>< View Post
Ugh that's terrible. Such a beautiful tank and lovely shrimp.

On the plus side least you noticed and didn't come home to a completely empty tank and dried up shrimp.

I hope they all make it through this mini nightmare.
Thanks, I hope they make it too. Yeah, definitely good timing. I can't imagine 6 gallons on my desk and floor.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #63
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (418/100%)

Dang. What a nightmare. Thank goodness for backup tanks.

My vote is for reaching out to the retailer and telling them about it. Also reaching out directly to the distributor (PM me and I can connect you). AND re-sealing the tank. There are tons of tutorials online and here on the forum that should make it a breeze for you. Since it's the back panel, you could do a horrible, messy job and still come out on top because the back of the tank won't be visible.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #64
VJM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Oh boo! That is super disappointing.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:11 AM   #65
mjbn
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

Wow, sorry for your trouble. That sucks:/ Like Jake said, try contacting your retailer and distributor. How did you buy the tank? If you used your card/bank, it should be on file, right? I think that's proof enough for date of purchase.
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:18 AM   #66
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Dang. What a nightmare. Thank goodness for backup tanks.

My vote is for reaching out to the retailer and telling them about it. Also reaching out directly to the distributor (PM me and I can connect you). AND re-sealing the tank. There are tons of tutorials online and here on the forum that should make it a breeze for you. Since it's the back panel, you could do a horrible, messy job and still come out on top because the back of the tank won't be visible.
Yeah, definitely a pain, but luckily no shrimp deaths. After checking out a couple tutorials I went ahead and bought the GE silicone I and a pack of blades today. Already had painter's tape. I figure I might as well give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbn View Post
Wow, sorry for your trouble. That sucks:/ Like Jake said, try contacting your retailer and distributor. How did you buy the tank? If you used your card/bank, it should be on file, right? I think that's proof enough for date of purchase.
I bought the tank with my Amex at a LFS. I could definitely find the charge, but it would only show that I made a purchase at the store, so I'm not sure how that would work. I know the store won't do anything, they make you sign a waiver on tanks and were resistant to do anything about the light switch giving me trouble when I first got it. I'll look into contacting the distributor. If I can't figure out who to contact I'll send Jake a pm like he said.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:36 PM   #67
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I wanted to thank you guys for suggesting to contact the distributor. I sent them an email today and they offered to send a replacement tank! They were very nice about it and since I mentioned I had other Mr. Aqua tanks they asked for pictures which they requested to post on their Facebook.

I'm still going to try to reseal mine, so I could potentially end up with two. I already have the inner seal all removed and just picked up some rubbing alcohol to clean the glass. Should be able to get it taped up tonight and siliconed tomorrow.

As far as my shrimps, there's only been one dead one that I've seen. I know their could be more though since they can make quick work of a body. I'll count them when I eventually get them moved into their new permanent tank (the 60-f) and that will give me an idea of the total loss.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:14 AM   #68
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Cleaned up the glass and got the it all taped up and ready to go. Just have to wait for my husband to find the caulk gun in the messy garage. Hopefully he can find it tonight otherwise I'll be making another trip to Home Depot tomorrow.

One of the seams ready to go (with a peek-a-boo Rocky in the background):

And the tape:

I thought the taping would be more difficult, but other than it being kind of cramped in there it wasn't too bad.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:23 AM   #69
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to I<3<*))))><

Awesome, free tank! Course I'm sure you would have rather this one never popped a seam on ya. Just trying to find the "light" in this situation.

I hope resealing the broken one goes well, best of luck!
Stephanie - RAOK Club #130
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
I<3<*))))>< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:39 AM   #70
AnotherHobby
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

Excellent customer service goes a long ways — glad to hear it's working out for you!
AnotherHobby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:53 AM   #71
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (418/100%)

Glad you're getting a replacement and glad to see you resealing!

Any idea what you'll do with this leftover tank?
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:55 AM   #72
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Good customer service is definitely a big plus. It's pretty hard to come by nowadays, but I've had two great experiences in the last week so I'm a happy camper at the moment.

Jake, I technically have two "extra" tanks since the shrimp will be in the 60-f soon. One is going to be a pico reef with sexy shrimp and a clown goby. I had already planned on that one, but I'm not sure about the other one. I'm thinking maybe a little high tech setup on the kitchen counter that you can see from both sides.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:08 AM   #73
inthepacific
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

i love the carpet of hydrocotyle im waiting for mine to take over my tank. but it grows so fast im sure it wont be long haha
inthepacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:21 AM   #74
ckraft
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

"Cleaned up the glass and got the it all taped up and ready to go. Just have to wait for my husband to find the caulk gun in the messy garage. Hopefully he can find it tonight otherwise I'll be making another trip to Home Depot tomorrow."

This rang my alarm. Most of the caulk gun type silicon I see are not safe for aquarium use, most aquarium silicone I find in tubes like toothpaste. Just a note, make sure you have the right kind.
ckraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:22 AM   #75
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthepacific View Post
i love the carpet of hydrocotyle im waiting for mine to take over my tank. but it grows so fast im sure it wont be long haha
It's definitely nice and a fast grower, but mine started growing vertically at the end. Not sure if it was because I raised the light, or if it was once it filled in and was shading itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckraft View Post
"Cleaned up the glass and got the it all taped up and ready to go. Just have to wait for my husband to find the caulk gun in the messy garage. Hopefully he can find it tonight otherwise I'll be making another trip to Home Depot tomorrow."

This rang my alarm. Most of the caulk gun type silicon I see are not safe for aquarium use, most aquarium silicone I find in tubes like toothpaste. Just a note, make sure you have the right kind.
It's the plain GE Silicone I, same stuff that comes in the "toothpaste" style tube. Now that you mention it though I think I might have one of those tubes lying around somewhere. I'll have to look for it tomorrow before I go to HD since it should be enough to do such a small tank.