ABQ locals, help please
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New Mexico

Old 06-22-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
JoeandCarrie
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

ABQ locals, help please

So I am going to be in the ABQ area for a week with my daughter, and would like to go driftwood hunting with her. Are there any good spots to go? I will have my Aussie with me, and a not to athletic 14yr old... so no 6000 ft elevation gains if possible.

Any thoughts?

thanks,
-Joe
JoeandCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2013, 10:36 PM   #2
AguaTropical
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Hello!

I was born and raised in and around ABQ. Honestly, you'll have the best luck either searching the bosque, or head east on interstate 40 into the east mountains (worth the trip IMHO).

If you do go east on I40, stay on the interstate for about 20-30 minutes and take the Cedar Crest/Tijeras exit, then head north on highway 14 until you pass a shell gas station on the right. From there you can either hang a left and go up the crest road to search for pieces (lots of places to pull of the road and lots of trails to go hiking). You can also continue on North 14, and pass East Mountain High School, which will be on the left (where I went to HS) and there will be a lot of different pieces just a short distance off and around the road. Please do note that the east mountains are at about 7500ft though, while ABQ is closer to 5000ft above sea level.

I'm not as familiar with the bosque, but anything you find would most likely have been carried by the river, so there are possible contamination issues you may face.

NM has a plethora of cholla wood, which looks beautiful in tanks! GL with your search!

I hope to see pics if you find anything!

20L Rimless
40G Breeder Tank
AguaTropical is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2013, 10:38 PM   #3
AguaTropical
Planted Member

You can also head north of ABQ on Interstate 25 to Bernalillo, but I do not know how much you'll find there.

20L Rimless
40G Breeder Tank
Old 06-22-2013, 11:00 PM   #4
JoeandCarrie
Algae Grower

Fantastic! Thanks for the advice. We are coming from WY, so a couple thousand is no problem, its the several thousand difference that would kill us.

Will head east and search the mountains then. Will I be mostly seeing cholla? What other native woods should I watch for? Manzanita maybe?

Thanks again,
Old 06-23-2013, 01:51 AM   #5
AguaTropical
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeandCarrie View Post
Fantastic! Thanks for the advice. We are coming from WY, so a couple thousand is no problem, its the several thousand difference that would kill us.

Will head east and search the mountains then. Will I be mostly seeing cholla? What other native woods should I watch for? Manzanita maybe?

Thanks again,
There should be a handful of pieces of manzanita!

Also, another place in the mountains you might want to check out is an acequia that resides behind the San Antonio Church off of Highway 14 (on the left while on your way to the shell gas station I mentioned). It's specifically called the Acequia madre de San Antonio (google will help you find it). It's a beautiful area, and there should be a lot of pieces around there! It's closer to ABQ than the places I mentioned earlier as well.

Just keep in mind, the wood you find will be very dry most likely. So in other words it may take 2+ weeks before it will sink, and there are usually a lot of tannins. Regardless, you shouldn't have an issue finding some beautiful pieces.

If you need any restaurant, or activity suggestions, don't hesitate to PM me!

20L Rimless
40G Breeder Tank
Old 06-23-2013, 01:52 AM   #6
AguaTropical
Planted Member

Also, I just thought of this...some areas will probably be closed due to fire danger (mostly areas up the crest road). Hopefully this won't limit your search too much!

20L Rimless
40G Breeder Tank
Old 06-23-2013, 02:13 AM   #7
JoeandCarrie
Algae Grower

Awesome, will hit that area up too then. No worries on dry wood, my dsm will be delayed anyway for my daughters visit. So two or three weeks soaking no big deal. Might pm you if we run out of things to do. Gonna hike a lot and hit the aquarium, zoo, and botanical gardens up for sure.

Thanks again,

Joe
Old 06-30-2013, 05:46 AM   #8
JoeandCarrie
Algae Grower

Well bummer. All park areas and open acess areas closed due to fire risk.

Did walk 2 trails though for the petroglyphs and volcano areas. Of course the blm guy didnt mention "no collection" until afterwards... so no pictures of rocks... although some beautiful lava rock was procured accidentally. Love how snippy people get about not knowing state rules. Oh well.

Thanks for th3 tips, enjoyed walking the old town and hitting the biopark up, the sun was high tho so we did more swimming than walking.

-joe
Old 07-02-2013, 02:46 AM   #9
AguaTropical
Planted Member

So you weren't any to grab any DW pieces? That's a bummer.

Where in WY are you? I'm taking a trip to NM, and I can look on my property in NM for you, and bring anything I find to CO. I live in Fort Collins, so if you're in southern WY, we are pretty close

20L Rimless
40G Breeder Tank
Old 07-05-2013, 02:31 AM   #10
JoeandCarrie
Algae Grower

Im in cheyenne. Yeah was bummed. Was hoping to find some manzanita for free vs the rediculus prices on websites. If u happen across some I would drive to foco for it for sure at a decent price.

Just shoot me a pm

Joe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.