my first planted tank...please help :/ - Page 7
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 06-21-2013, 02:06 AM   #91
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson18 View Post
Just read through this whole thread! It looks like your swords originally had emersed growth, which might explain some of the leaf loss. This sword looks really nice. If you've trimmed most of the old leaves off you should probably start getting some new growth! Just stay on top of the root tabs. You've got a good start on this tank!
Thanks! I've only had one leaf starting for the only new growth in the last month or more. I'm due for root tabs...we shall see I guess
jonnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2013, 02:09 AM   #92
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseliu13 View Post
root tabs. definitely. and you may not have the right balance for your plants if your still having problem with root tabs. I havent read everything in this thread but looking at your equipment from your first one you seem to have the same problem I have... You dont exactly have enough light.. or the light may not be the right spectrum for your plants... I suggest a desk lamp with a cfl of 6500K. representing daylight 23 watts. I am doing this now. I can see my plants doing a bit better. though i have a nutrient difficiency i must solve. I just have to find out which one it is...
Thank you! I want to get some new lights but won't be able to for a while. Maybe I'll build my own instead of buying a strip. Def enough light, but it's 10,000K so you're probably right with that? I need to read some more about lighting
Old 06-21-2013, 02:12 AM   #93
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Looks like BBA. Cut the leaves off. The other plants look okay. Just cut the leaves that you don't like off and they should grow back bushier.
Okay. Cut the leaves at the base of the leaf? Or base of the stem? Cutting them at the stem has not worked for me. Or I've read breaking the leaf off by hand is supposed to work too?
Old 06-21-2013, 02:14 AM   #94
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you all you guys for your help!!! I truly appreciate it!
Old 06-21-2013, 05:01 AM   #95
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post
Okay. Cut the leaves at the base of the leaf? Or base of the stem? Cutting them at the stem has not worked for me. Or I've read breaking the leaf off by hand is supposed to work too?
This is what I think you have:

This is where I got the pic from - you should skim around the whole blog: aquariumalgae.blogspot.com

I think you have fuzzy algae on your Sword in the picture. I think it's there because the Sword isn't growing at full capacity. From what I've read, there must be a balance between all elements of your aquatic environment - enough light, nutrients for that level of light, and on... If you can clear up the problem creating the algae, the plant will grow better and out-perform the algae, which will go away. Check out the aquariumalgae.blogspot.com.

Steve
Django is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #96
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Okay. Cut the leaves at the base of the leaf? Or base of the stem?
I cut at the base of the stem or close for I don't want to see where I have cut it.
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:08 AM   #97
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django View Post
This is what I think you have:

This is where I got the pic from - you should skim around the whole blog: aquariumalgae.blogspot.com

I think you have fuzzy algae on your Sword in the picture. I think it's there because the Sword isn't growing at full capacity. From what I've read, there must be a balance between all elements of your aquatic environment - enough light, nutrients for that level of light, and on... If you can clear up the problem creating the algae, the plant will grow better and out-perform the algae, which will go away. Check out the aquariumalgae.blogspot.com.

Steve
I wish I had found this before I started the tank! There's some very helpful info in that! I learned a few things. So thanks again! I think I'm getting close to a balanced tank....just not quite there yet
Old 06-22-2013, 01:59 PM   #98
PeterN1986
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
I didn't have algae problems till I got the fugeray ray2 led's. I had them wayyy too close. Don't have the 18 watt anymore. I'll do a thorough vacuuming when I get more root tabs which should be delivered soon. Nitrates are 0-.25ppm.
Cut out 1 or 2 rectangles of window screen to put in front of the Ray2. I had to do this when I got it for my 20H. One layer will reduce the light intensity by like 50% or something. It's an easy cheap solution that just requires the window screen, scissors, and double-sided tape.

I eventually hung it like 10" above my tank and don't have any algae issues. You should get some amano shrimp or RCS's to munch on the algae.

Your swords look fine, you don't need to fret about them. I have a red melon sword also and they are a dark shade of maroon, but the leaves have no stem. I like how your leaves have some stem on them.
PeterN1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #99
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterN1986 View Post
Cut out 1 or 2 rectangles of window screen to put in front of the Ray2. I had to do this when I got it for my 20H. One layer will reduce the light intensity by like 50% or something. It's an easy cheap solution that just requires the window screen, scissors, and double-sided tape.

I eventually hung it like 10" above my tank and don't have any algae issues. You should get some amano shrimp or RCS's to munch on the algae.

Your swords look fine, you don't need to fret about them. I have a red melon sword also and they are a dark shade of maroon, but the leaves have no stem. I like how your leaves have some stem on them.
I was actually wondering how much the screening would reduce it. I think I'll do two screens and put the good that came with the tank back on. Won't have to too the water off as often that way.
I have 4 amano shrimp, but they are always more interested in the fish food. I feed every other day, and sometimes the shrimp fight over the food lol! But there's plenty of algae for them to munch on. Might just get a baby pleco and then just bring him back to my LFS when he gets too big.
Thanks for the reassurance. I'll be putting seachem root tabs under each plant this weekend. Seachem's last wayyy longer than API's!!!
Old 06-22-2013, 11:47 PM   #100
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Might just get a baby pleco and then just bring him back to my LFS when he gets too big.
Some plecos stay small. The bristlenose pleco does not get real big
Old 06-23-2013, 12:26 AM   #101
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Some plecos stay small. The bristlenose pleco does not get real big
I had one for a while. Brought him back cuz he was damaging new plants that hadn't rooted yet. Oto cats that I have are too picky of eaters though imo. I need something that's gonna eat about anything. A friend actually almost got me a royal pleco....don't know why he didn't lol
Old 06-24-2013, 01:59 AM   #102
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

So what's a good range for me to aim for with my nitrates? I wanna start dosing the KNO3, but would like some reassurance. My nitrates are 0-5ppm right now, ammonia and nitrites are almost non exhistant. I was thinkin somewhere around 10-15 and see what happens? Test every other day and see how the plants and fish are reacting
Old 06-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #103
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
So what's a good range for me to aim for with my nitrates? I wanna start dosing the KNO3, but would like some reassurance. My nitrates are 0-5ppm right now, ammonia and nitrites are almost non exhistant. I was thinkin somewhere around 10-15 and see what happens? Test every other day and see how the plants and fish are reacting
So far the consensus of what I've read is less than 20 parts per million, can go up to 30 ppm sometimes. I forgot what size your tank is. If it's small, you don't need to dose Nitrates or Potassium and shouldn't. I don't with my 10g. Someone who wanted to embark on that journey with a small tank would have to use Nitrogen, Phosphorous, Potassium and trace elements, and use them all, in the correct proportions, very small doses. I wouldn't advise it. It's for high light and pressurized CO2.
Django is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:37 PM   #104
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django View Post
So far the consensus of what I've read is less than 20 parts per million, can go up to 30 ppm sometimes. I forgot what size your tank is. If it's small, you don't need to dose Nitrates or Potassium and shouldn't. I don't with my 10g. Someone who wanted to embark on that journey with a small tank would have to use Nitrogen, Phosphorous, Potassium and trace elements, and use them all, in the correct proportions, very small doses. I wouldn't advise it. It's for high light and pressurized CO2.
It's a 20gal. I dosed a 1/4 tsp last night and my nitrates are still the same. I'll wait tonight and dose a 1/2 tsp tomorrow, which is what the graph gave me, but I just wanted to be safe. And I already dose Nitrogen, Phosphorous, Potassium and trace elements. I also dose an API product which has iron and potassium sulfate. It was the only iron product I could get at my LFS....very slim pickings. As far as Co2 goes, my DIY makes 1/2 bubble per second at a surprisingly steady pace.
I appreciate you helping me out though! We will see how this goes I guess...

Oh and why low doses? I do weekly water changes, and have read it's not bad to have too many nutrients in the water....but there are so many conflicting arguments out there! Just curious what your reasoning is

Last edited by jonnyboy; 06-24-2013 at 11:40 PM.. Reason: Cuz
Old 06-25-2013, 01:57 AM   #105
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Oh and why low doses? I do weekly water changes, and have read it's not bad to have too many nutrients in the water.
I have read many post that when people do EI dosing they are dosing excess nutrients. Thus they do weekly water changes.

I dose minimum for I only do water changes monthly. For doing a version of El Natural set up. For I want a low maintenance tank.

Last edited by Hilde; 06-25-2013 at 01:58 AM.. Reason: added