Eggs from unknown source
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 06-22-2013, 06:06 AM   #1
King of Hyrule
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Eggs from unknown source

My work tank has eggs. I have no idea who put them there, but each corner of my 10 gallon tank is filled.

The tanks residence
6 random Guppies
3 Albino Cory Cats
1 Chinese Algae Eater
1 Dwarf Puffer
7 grass shrimp
and snails, but they don't last long with the puffer hunting them down.

I moved the plants into this corner to give the eggs a chance against the guppies that seem to be eating them.

I don't think the shrimp are the source as I see them carrying their eggs. The Guppies are live bearers, so the Cory Cats or the CAE?

Last edited by King of Hyrule; 06-22-2013 at 06:08 AM.. Reason: added picture
King of Hyrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2013, 06:13 AM   #2
peachii
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Cory lay eggs on the glass like that and from what I have read chinese algae eaters are hard to breed in a normal community setting because they like strong currents and a lot of oxygen.

They are pretty dark, so either they are rotting or they are almost ready to hatch. The eggs hatch in 3 to 5 days normally.

If you pick one egg off the glass and it sticks to the glass on a different part, then it's probably for sure a cory egg. They are very sticky, just don't get them out of the water if you want them to hatch, even if you move them keep them in water at all times.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:26 AM   #3
King of Hyrule
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachii View Post
Cory lay eggs on the glass like that and from what I have read chinese algae eaters are hard to breed in a normal community setting because they like strong currents and a lot of oxygen.

They are pretty dark, so either they are rotting or they are almost ready to hatch. The eggs hatch in 3 to 5 days normally.

If you pick one egg off the glass and it sticks to the glass on a different part, then it's probably for sure a cory egg. They are very sticky, just don't get them out of the water if you want them to hatch, even if you move them keep them in water at all times.
They have been there a few days. I did put a sponge on the filter, to keep any hatchers from getting sucked in. But they are pretty much on their own...
Old 06-22-2013, 06:30 AM   #4
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to I<3<*))))><

To give em a better shot you should get some Liquid fry, or make your own... lotsa different recipes online. Or you can just take some of your flake food or wafers and grind them to a powder.

Goodluck on them hatching. Baby corys are so gosh darn cute!
Stephanie - RAOK Club #130
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
I<3<*))))>< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:06 AM   #5
peachii
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

They are very cute but I'd bet with a puffer, chinese algae eater they will be a nice little snack if they don't have places to hide and then be smart enough to stay there. lol.

We have 9 albino cory growing out right now just because i was curious if I could get the eggs to hatch by moving them to another tank. Already have 20 cory - don't need 9 more so hopefully the fish store will give credit or exchange them for something else or another color cory at least. Or snails or shrimp, will just have to wait and see. I'd be happy with 2 or 4 neo shrimp for them.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
Tankoholic
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

If you do decide to try and raise them and the dwarf puffer doesn't call them lunch, egg yolk works great in a pinch. I recently had a group of hitchhiking mystery fry pop up in my tank of no fish. They've been on egg yolk for almost a week now. Bring the egg to a boil, continue to boil it for a minute or two, crack the egg over a strainer that has a bowl underneath to catch the remnants, remove the egg white carefully, scrape out the yolk into the strainer over the bowl, add a couple ounces of water to the liquid yolk in the bowl, and then spot feed 3 times a day. The mixture supposedly lasts for up to three days, but I redo it every other day. Also, frequent water changes will have to be done.
ROAK Club member #96
Fraternity of Dirt #134
My 10G Frankenstein Tank
Broke college student
Worm Wrangler
Tankoholic is offline   Reply With Quote