55gallon community
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 01-02-2007, 01:54 AM   #1
Shadow
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (38/100%)

55gallon community

Once we get the 125G for the Oscars and them my mom moves her saltwater tank into the 75g [oscars tank] then Ill tank her 55g saltwater tank and use it as a 4th tank in my "apartment". Of course Ill wash it first.
I would like it to be a lower cost tank. With not as high of lighting and such.

Im looking for a colorful, less threatening community tank. As I already have a 55g Kribensis Community tank. Which the kribs obevously rule

Im looking to add for sure some of the cute cory cats, and maybe some rainbows or lemon tetras or cardianal tetras. Along with some type of "main" fish or a few species of fish that are some what easy to breed. Along with some type of algea eater maybe Oto's or something I do not already have.
I would like some low light nice looking plants. Any suggestions??

Also I would like to have some nice plant rich subtrate. Maybe something other then Eco Complete as I have that in the other 55G and I could see if there is a difference in them.

So in summary Im looking for:
-Some nice peaceful colorful fish
-some fish that can be breed [not livebarers?]
-Some nice ground fish [cory cats, loaches]
-A nice schooling fish
-Nice low light plants
-a good, rich subtrate
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2007, 01:52 AM   #2
MOsborne05
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)

I would suggest a pair of german blue rams or apistos, some zebra loaches, and a large school of tetras or pencilfish. Put a thin layer of peat underneath the substrate to help lower the pH. I am going to buy a bag of Lesco ProChoice Soilmaster because it is a good plant substrate, and it is much cheaper than the others. But you'd have to look to see if there are any local stores because shipping a 50# bag is pretty expensive. For plants, depending on your lighting, I would suggest some sword plants, anubias, crypts and fast growing stem plants like rotala and green hygro.

7 gallon in the works ~ planted ~ CPO's & Gardneri Killifish
MOsborne05 is offline   Reply With Quote