Need recommendations for a good glass bottle with hinged / gasketed lid for DIY CO2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 06-21-2013, 05:17 AM   #1
slavecorps
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Need recommendations for a good glass bottle with hinged / gasketed lid for DIY CO2

Hi all,

I need a CO2 solution quick since campus housing made me get rid of my full sized pressurized rig.

I have used yeast / sugar CO2 in the past, but I hated using 2 liter soda bottles.

I've read of people using glass bottles instead with rubber stoppers, but I wanted to take it a step further and use 1 liter glass bottles with hinged and gasketed lids similar to Grolsch beer bottles.

I have a couple questions about this though.

Since I've been spoiled with the performance of pressurized CO2 I'm going to try to incorporate certain things to make it more like a pressurized system, but wanted to get some opinions on the safety of doing it.

As I mentioned, my plan is to use 1 liter glass bottles with hinged lids, but I don't want to give up the pleasure of turning off CO2 at night. I was thinking of using brass or (C)PVC tubing adapters on the lines coming from the bottles to go to NPT fittings to a solenoid or ball valve in order to be able to shut off the system.

Do you think that glass bottles will be able to withstand the pressure buildup that would occur over a 12 - 16 hour period of time while the valve or solenoid was closed? Also, do you have any particular recommendations as far as the type of bottle I should use for this type of system if the idea is reasonable?

Thanks for the help.
slavecorps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2013, 05:29 AM   #2
Stinkmonky
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

I wouldn't do it unless you installed a valve to decompress the chamber once pressure builds up to a certain point. Shrapnel bomb waiting to happen. Suppose you forget to turn on the valve.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Also is the top glass or plastic?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-21-2013 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Stinkmonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #3
slavecorps
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkmonky View Post
I wouldn't do it unless you installed a valve to decompress the chamber once pressure builds up to a certain point. Shrapnel bomb waiting to happen. Suppose you forget to turn on the valve.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Also is the top glass or plastic?
Not a bad idea. I could always throw on a 45 psi pressure release valve from my parts bin since I'll be using NPT fittings.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
Stinkmonky
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavecorps View Post
Not a bad idea. I could always throw on a 45 psi pressure release valve from my parts bin since I'll be using NPT fittings.
Sounds like a plan
Stinkmonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #5
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

IIRC DIY CO2 isn't capable of building up to pressures that would blow a glass bottle. Your rubber seal on the beer bottle will fail before the glass does. Dry ice could blow a glass bottle, but not yeast. You should double check, but I'm 80% certain its not strong enough. Of course, a pressure release valve would add an extra safety net.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #6
slavecorps
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelub View Post
IIRC DIY CO2 isn't capable of building up to pressures that would blow a glass bottle. Your rubber seal on the beer bottle will fail before the glass does. Dry ice could blow a glass bottle, but not yeast. You should double check, but I'm 80% certain its not strong enough. Of course, a pressure release valve would add an extra safety net.
Yeah, I would think it should be okay, but I do have a few pressure release valves of varying release pressures sitting around unused, so I might as well throw one on there to be safe. I also have an unused pressure gauge somewhere which I'll probably throw on just to find out how much pressure is really being created by the yeast / sugar mixture. I'd imagine that the pressure could exceed 90 psi which is around the pressure required to burst a 2 liter coke bottle, and with the design including a ball valve, it's probably just safest to stick a release valve on there since I already have a few.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #7
kingjombeejoe
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

I'm not sure what the pressure rating is on these, but they look nice and the tops are thick plastic which would be easier to drill. http://www.target.com/p/oggi-4-piece...FQik4Aodnl0ADw They also sell an all plastic version at walmart if you wanted to see the contents. I was looking at using these to make a diy canister filter until I found some eheims for a steal.
kingjombeejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:56 PM   #8
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I've heard stories (but never bothered to verify them) of prohibition-era homebrewers (and some more recent homebrewers) waking up/coming home to exploding beer bottles.

I also think I ran into a post on here where someone's DIY CO2 blew up and sprayed swill all over the ceiling.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:33 AM   #9
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjombeejoe View Post
I'm not sure what the pressure rating is on these, but they look nice and the tops are thick plastic which would be easier to drill. http://www.target.com/p/oggi-4-piece...FQik4Aodnl0ADw They also sell an all plastic version at walmart if you wanted to see the contents. I was looking at using these to make a diy canister filter until I found some eheims for a steal.
The large area of the lids on those canisters would make it almost certain that the lid or lid seal would fail at a relatively low pressure. And, the canisters are not designed to hold much, if any pressure, so I doubt that they would work. Bottles designed to hold carbonated beverages, on the other hand, have small area caps, and are designed to hold a lot of pressure.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:55 AM   #10
Sluggo
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

The thing is, if you let pressure build in the bottle all night, you'd be dumping a whole load of CO2 into the tank all at once when you open the valve again, wouldn't you? How about incorporating a valve that would just vent the CO2 into open air instead of the tank at night? A little wasteful, but yeast and sugar are cheap. Maybe divert the CO2 into a reserve bottle for use later?
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:21 AM   #11
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

An accumulator could be designed to hold the surplus CO2, with the pressure increasing only a small amount as it fills. Of course that could end up costing quite a bit.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:29 AM   #12
0live
Planted Tank Enthusiast

As a home brewer I can verify that a yeast sugar mix is enough to bust glass.

It's not super common, but I've had a few mornings walking downstairs only to step in a puddle coming out of the pantry.

Now I keg and no more puddles.

The difference here is that in beer, the yeast /sugar levels are pretty low. By the time you bottle you're talking a small amount of co2 to carbonate the beer and fill remaining headspace.
0live is offline   Reply With Quote