Anybody Keep Chameleon's? I need some help :)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Herp (Reptiles and Amphibians)

Old 04-25-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Question

Anybody Keep Chameleon's? I need some help :)

I've been really interested in getting a reptile, and I think I've found the one im most interested in, Chameleon's. I was thinking maybe starting off with something not too terribly expensive. I'm still in the process of researching care and what species are easier than others, just thought I might ask here as well, it'll definitely be a while before I can get one, we are getting another dog on Friday so we'll have our hands full for a good while.

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2013, 01:39 AM   #2
Kitsune_Gem
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Kitsune_Gem

Veiled Chameleons are by far one of the more hardy and easy to care for, their temperament on the other hand is a whole different matter. I've kept Veiled, Jacksons, Panthers, and I have to say personality wise I like the Jacksons, color wise Panthers.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:19 AM   #3
Dparks1987
Algae Grower

Whatever you choose to go with I would opt for captive breed as oppose to wild caught. Captive breed chams are actually rather hardy animals and will give you a bit more wiggle room than wild caught specimens which can be terribly difficult to work with. Veils are a great starting Cham but they can be moody. Panthers are in my opinion the best chameleons to start with. You can readily find captive specimens and they are far less territorial than veiled chameleons.
Dparks1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:47 AM   #4
Dilljone
Algae Grower

Smile Research what works best for you. My opinion. Panthers

I worked in a pet store for many years and while all chameleons (and reptiles for that matter) are as easy as you make it provided you can find proper information, the choice should be what is best suited to your experience and time. Veileds are quite hardy but their temperament is a whole other story. I myself have an ambilobe Panther Chameleon which is by far the hardiest chameleon I have ever kept. He was in (not under my care) an aquarium showroom for three months with only the heat of the aquariums (roughly 80-82 degrees in there) and he was doing phenomenal. He drinks from a water bowl (rather odd for most chameleons) has an extremely ravenous appetite, and his colors vary from luscious green and read to school bus yellow and orange at night. Just my opinion though
Dilljone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:25 AM   #5
TDerivan
Algae Grower

If you've never had a reptile before I would suggest trying a beginner reptile like a bearded dragon, crested gecko, or maybe a corn snake first. Most chameleons are a little challenging to someone who has never kept a reptile before. Not to say that they're difficult to keep, just that they are a more intermediate reptile.
TDerivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:47 AM   #6
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune_Gem View Post
Veiled Chameleons are by far one of the more hardy and easy to care for, their temperament on the other hand is a whole different matter. I've kept Veiled, Jacksons, Panthers, and I have to say personality wise I like the Jacksons, color wise Panthers.
I have kept these 3 species as well and couldnt agree more. I would definately agree with getting a veiled to start with. They are the easiest to keep. Do your homework as you said...........old world chams can be tricky for new-comers. You will do great if you pay close attention to the details of their requirements. best of luck and nice work with the early planning! that will no doubt be the secret to your success!

JD
Learner is offline   Reply With Quote