my first planted tank...please help :/ - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 06-19-2013, 12:52 AM   #76
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
I am thinking that they would improve with KNO3.
I think you may have suggested that before...can't remember. But I'm going to order that tonight. Thank you

Last edited by jonnyboy; 06-19-2013 at 03:01 AM.. Reason: Typo
jonnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2013, 03:51 PM   #77
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post
There IS or IS NOT enough comp or trace? And this was a suggestion to me because of how the plants, especially the swords, are slightly transparent and not as green as they should be. But what else would cause this? All I've read is I have a lack of nutrients....but that shouldn't be possible with my tank's parameters.
But you do now have me questioning this even more, especially with the chloride comment....I just want a healthy tank!
Oh, I just went back and my whole post is gone. Well, there's enough trace elements in comp or trace. Also I wouldn't put in NPK components. I have gone through this whole thing!

The best suggestion for your problems I've heard is to put in more plants, preferably fast-growing stem plants,or sometimes they call them "bunch plants" I think, and watch the lighting - don't put it up too high. I hope your water circulation is enough, like 100 gallons per hour for a 10 gallon tank (10 * tank volume), I have heard. Meanwhile, Google and read!
Django is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #78
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django View Post
Oh, I just went back and my whole post is gone. Well, there's enough trace elements in comp or trace. Also I wouldn't put in NPK components. I have gone through this whole thing!

The best suggestion for your problems I've heard is to put in more plants, preferably fast-growing stem plants,or sometimes they call them "bunch plants" I think, and watch the lighting - don't put it up too high. I hope your water circulation is enough, like 100 gallons per hour for a 10 gallon tank (10 * tank volume), I have heard. Meanwhile, Google and read!
Roger that! I have the potassium nitrate shipped and on it's way, along with a UV sterilizer which I will use to create even more flow till the algae is better. Which I think I'm just fightin it still from having my lights way too bright. Maybe this weekend I'll get more plants....which I've been wanting to do for a while. Oh and with the two filters I think I'm at 200-250 gph. Only problem is they're hob's so I can't control where the current is going
Old 06-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #79
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Roger that! I have the potassium nitrate shipped and on it's way, along with a UV sterilizer which I will use to create even more flow till the algae is better. Which I think I'm just fightin it still from having my lights way too bright. Maybe this weekend I'll get more plants....which I've been wanting to do for a while. Oh and with the two filters I think I'm at 200-250 gph. Only problem is they're hob's so I can't control where the current is going
I'd put the HOBs together at the middle of the back of the tank. That's where I put my HOB. Or separate them so they're evenly spaced. Potassium is one of the three macronutrients and has to be balanced with Nitrogen and Phosphorus. Nitrogen is in Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrates so you have to keep an eye on the nitrates if you add them. P and K are included in fish food, which is why we don't add them.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:49 PM   #80
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I'd put the HOBs together at the middle of the back of the tank. That's where I put my HOB. Or separate them so they're evenly spaced. Potassium is one of the three macronutrients and has to be balanced with Nitrogen and Phosphorus. Nitrogen is in Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrates so you have to keep an eye on the nitrates if you add them. P and K are included in fish food, which is why we don't add them.
Thanks. When I try adding KNO3 I will def be testing regularly! I'll probably move the HOB's around when I put the sterilizer in. Try to get the best current possible.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:56 PM   #81
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default The detailed photos I promised

Base of the rangeri....I did this a long time ago when I had no idea what I was doing....leave it or try pulling them off? Or even cutting them closer to the base?....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	161945  

Old 06-19-2013, 11:58 PM   #82
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Transparency. Good or bad? This is the sword again.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	15
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	161953  

Old 06-20-2013, 12:00 AM   #83
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Red melon sword. Most of the leaves look 'crimped' overall it looks healthy. Have lost 8 leaves within the last 3-4 weeks and no new growth.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	17
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	161961  

Old 06-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #84
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Root Tabs Root Tabs Root Tabs! Seachem Root Tabs.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:27 PM   #85
jesseliu13
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

root tabs. definitely. and you may not have the right balance for your plants if your still having problem with root tabs. I havent read everything in this thread but looking at your equipment from your first one you seem to have the same problem I have... You dont exactly have enough light.. or the light may not be the right spectrum for your plants... I suggest a desk lamp with a cfl of 6500K. representing daylight 23 watts. I am doing this now. I can see my plants doing a bit better. though i have a nutrient difficiency i must solve. I just have to find out which one it is...
jesseliu13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #86
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I've had my tank for a few months now and am getting frustrated with my plants. They are not dying, but don't look healthy are are not growing.

TANK: 20gal 24Lx13wx17h
LIGHT:18" 15watt full spectrum
SUBSTRATE: 1/2 eco complete substrate. 1/2 quarter inch stones
FERTILIZER: Flourish Seachem. Weekly doses
TEMP: always right around 79 degrees
PH: around 7, but just ordered an API Pro kit to replace test strips
All other tests seem to be in normal ranges....according to test strips
FISH: 7 fish, 3 red cherry shrimp. just lost my Oto Cat
PLANTS: 2crypt parva, 1rangeri sword, 2bronze wendtii, 1lutea, 3noname grasses

My main question is why my plants arent growing. lights are on a 9hr cycle, I use weekly flourish seachem doses, weekly 25%-40% water changes always with conditioner....is it the lights? I just ordered a Co2 diffuser to go with my DIY Co2 system which will be in in a few days.
If you tell me to get better lights please give me some recommendations and/or links....I've been reading and shopping for the past couple nights and am really not sure which way to go. Theres so many options and brands and I don't want to buy the wrong one. Aqueon doesnt make a good versatile hood, so I'm ready to make a decent investment.
ANY advice will be MUCH appreciated!!!
You need another fixture and two bulbs - T8. The thing that stumps me is why, if you don't have a lot of light now, are you having so many problems with algae? The general answer would be because the plants aren't growing, which means there is a limiting factor. Having had good experience with lowering the light and photoperiod, I would suggest using non-metal window screening or raising the fixture to lower the light. It also helped me with BGA to vacuum the gravel, which I guess wouldn't apply to you with e-whatever fluorite. Could try cleaning your filter if it needs it.

Make absolutely sure you're adding the right amount of Comprehensive, and put Root Tabs way underneath the swords and other root-feeders. What is your Nitrate level?? Be prepared to wait at least 1 week for fast-growing plants to start to grow, more for slower ones.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:46 PM   #87
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Root Tabs Root Tabs Root Tabs! Seachem Root Tabs.
Yeah I was using API root tabs....and I feel like that were junk.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:00 AM   #88
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

Quote:
Red melon sword. Most of the leaves look 'crimped' overall it looks healthy. Have lost 8 leaves within the last 3-4 weeks and no new growth.
Just read through this whole thread! It looks like your swords originally had emersed growth, which might explain some of the leaf loss. This sword looks really nice. If you've trimmed most of the old leaves off you should probably start getting some new growth! Just stay on top of the root tabs. You've got a good start on this tank!
johnson18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2013, 12:45 AM   #89
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Base of the rangeri....I did this a long time ago when I had no idea what I was doing....leave it or try pulling them off? ..
Looks like BBA. Cut the leaves off. The other plants look okay. Just cut the leaves that you don't like off and they should grow back bushier.
Hilde is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2013, 02:05 AM   #90
jonnyboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
You need another fixture and two bulbs - T8. The thing that stumps me is why, if you don't have a lot of light now, are you having so many problems with algae? The general answer would be because the plants aren't growing, which means there is a limiting factor. Having had good experience with lowering the light and photoperiod, I would suggest using non-metal window screening or raising the fixture to lower the light. It also helped me with BGA to vacuum the gravel, which I guess wouldn't apply to you with e-whatever fluorite. Could try cleaning your filter if it needs it.

Make absolutely sure you're adding the right amount of Comprehensive, and put Root Tabs way underneath the swords and other root-feeders. What is your Nitrate level?? Be prepared to wait at least 1 week for fast-growing plants to start to grow, more for slower ones.
I didn't have algae problems till I got the fugeray ray2 led's. I had them wayyy too close. Don't have the 18 watt anymore. I'll do a thorough vacuuming when I get more root tabs which should be delivered soon. Nitrates are 0-.25ppm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.