How will my plants develop strong roots?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 06-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #1
harvs
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

How will my plants develop strong roots?

my pearlweed looks bushy and healthy on the outside. but when it is being disturbed by my snails and some algae eaters, the get easily uprooted. i have also noticed that they don't have roots at all and some look like they are rotting. what do you think is the problem? thank you!
harvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
ryantube
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (90/100%)

What is pearlweed?
ryantube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #3
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvs View Post
my pearlweed looks bushy and healthy on the outside. but when it is being disturbed by my snails and some algae eaters, the get easily uprooted. i have also noticed that they don't have roots at all and some look like they are rotting. what do you think is the problem? thank you!
Is it growing in a mat? If it is, and it is rather thick, then it is likely that the top portion is blocking the bottom portion. This causes the bottom portion to receive insufficient light, leading to yellowing/dying/floating up of the mat.

What kind of lighting/fertilization/CO2 (if any) do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryantube View Post
What is pearlweed?
Hemianthus micranthemoides

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:49 PM   #4
crice8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)

I fought trying to get a carpet of dhg and hc going for months. and while not all of the plants were getting knocked loose I donated my pleco to a local member. My carpet has spread better and looks healthier in the last 3 weeks than it did throughout the last 6-8 months.
crice8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
harvs
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Is it growing in a mat? If it is, and it is rather thick, then it is likely that the top portion is blocking the bottom portion. This causes the bottom portion to receive insufficient light, leading to yellowing/dying/floating up of the mat.

What kind of lighting/fertilization/CO2 (if any) do you have?

Hemianthus micranthemoides
thanks for the reply.

i bought and planted them in mats before. some of the mats grew just fine some get wilted and stunted. those that were stunted, i replanted them together with the cuttings. few months ago i could fill and grow an empty space in my aquarium without any problems and do it all over again. the grow fast and lush. roots were even coming out of the stems and clinged to the sand.

Now when i replant the cuttings, after a few days they would look weak and easily pulled off by the snails or water movement. no roots were coming out and rotting.

my light is maintained at 1wpg.

i'm not using any fertilizers as of now. i've read some articles about fertilizers and says that i could benefit from the mulm and fish wastes as plant food.

i'm using CO2 everytime lights turned on at 1-2 bubbles/sec.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #6
Sakuras
Algae Grower

A good substrate helps and i believe the anaerobic bacteria isnt established under the substrate. Try poking through the substrate and you will notice bubbles.
Sakuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvs View Post
my light is maintained at 1wpg.

i'm not using any fertilizers as of now. i've read some articles about fertilizers and says that i could benefit from the mulm and fish wastes as plant food.

i'm using CO2 everytime lights turned on at 1-2 bubbles/sec.
Unfortunately, the WPG guideline is severely outdated, and is not a good estimate of how much light you actually are providing.

It can really only be applied if you are using T12 bulbs, so if this is not the case, then we need to know what kind of lighting you have (and ideally the distance your light is away from the substrate).

Fertilization is generally important as well, though it may be a lighting issue (cannot be certain without more information).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuras View Post
A good substrate helps and i believe the anaerobic bacteria isnt established under the substrate. Try poking through the substrate and you will notice bubbles.
Finer grained substrate will definitely help, but I have grown HC in regular Flourite before, which is relatively large grained.

Also, having plants prevents an anaerobic layer from forming; establishing an anaerobic layer is something you want to avoid (not sure if you meant something else?)

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #8
harvs
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Unfortunately, the WPG guideline is severely outdated, and is not a good estimate of how much light you actually are providing.

It can really only be applied if you are using T12 bulbs, so if this is not the case, then we need to know what kind of lighting you have (and ideally the distance your light is away from the substrate).

Fertilization is generally important as well, though it may be a lighting issue (cannot be certain without more information).

Finer grained substrate will definitely help, but I have grown HC in regular Flourite before, which is relatively large grained.

Also, having plants prevents an anaerobic layer from forming; establishing an anaerobic layer is something you want to avoid (not sure if you meant something else?)
i'm using 2 T5 14 watts each. on the picture, i'm showing you the distance of the lights to water and substrate.

the other picture shows the pearlweeds that i have planned almost a month ago that doesn't develop roots and uprooted by the snails.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	light.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	162721  

Click image for larger version

Name:	uprooted.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	162729  

Old 06-21-2013, 08:55 AM   #9
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

I have a guess and you can help to prove it right or wrong:

Attach something buoyant (say, a wine bottle cork) to ~2" of string attached to a stone. Put the stone right where the pearlweed is.

What is the cork doing?

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Old 06-21-2013, 04:01 PM   #10
harvs
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post

Attach something buoyant (say, a wine bottle cork) to ~2" of string attached to a stone. Put the stone right where the pearlweed is.

What is the cork doing?

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
i've tried putting the pearlweeds between stones and even burying them on sand. they still don't develop roots.

i think cork is gonna float.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:05 PM   #11
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

If it just floats then you have a problem.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Old 06-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #12
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

Quote:

What is the cork doing?

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
lol. This is great! Nothing like running the experiment prior to hearing the hypothesis!
johnson18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #13
thinBear
Planted Member

from my experience:

the plant on left is less likely being pull out by water current

also, trim off the damaged part, they will melt later, turn into slimy matter and slide the plant out...
thinBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #14
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

I'd be using fertilizers. You have a good amount of light over the tank and use CO2. While other plants may be doing fine they could be keeping the Hemianthus from getting the good stuff and it isn't rooting. Low tech tanks that have less light and no CO2 still must use a little potassium and micronutrient supplement. Hemianthus are fast growing weeds once they get going and need a lot of nutrients.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:04 PM   #15
harvs
Algae Grower

Quote:
If it just floats then you have a problem.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
hahahahaha