Weeping moss woes
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 06-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #1
SomeCanuck
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Weeping moss woes

I LOVE the way weeping moss looks when it grows in, all lush and drooping boughs. But my problem is I can't get it to stay where I want it to. From everything I've read, weeping moss doesn't attach itself to branches and rocks like moss like java moss does, so the problem is that it always ends up "blowing" away in the current eventually.

I've tried using super glue, but once the glued bits die off, the rest is dragged off. I've tried string, but once the parts that are tied down get taken over or once the rest grows large enough to catch in the current, it all tears off and floats away. I've tried mesh, but the bits under the mesh (scrunchie or stainless steel) eventually die off and then the rest gets blown away.

Does anyone have any clues what I could try differently to get my weeping moss to hold on my hardscape? Or maybe suggestions for a similar looking moss with nice, drooping fronds? Thanks!
SomeCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
Jester946
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Can't say I share your same issues. I've just "jammed it" into a crevice, and let it grow...and damn will it grow THICK.

My best method for attaching it was to use the ADA line to tie it down. I did it in a few spots, and let it grow. I then trim it way, way down, that way it will start "weeping" when shorter.
Jester946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
SomeCanuck
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester946 View Post
Can't say I share your same issues. I've just "jammed it" into a crevice, and let it grow...and damn will it grow THICK.

My best method for attaching it was to use the ADA line to tie it down. I did it in a few spots, and let it grow. I then trim it way, way down, that way it will start "weeping" when shorter.
Yeah, I don't know what it is. Am I maybe not trimming it enough? I've seen it start weeping, certainly, but it doesn't cling to anything and eventually just floats away. It's a very love/hate relationship at this point. Maybe the current is too strong where I'm tying/gluing it down?
Old 06-21-2013, 12:21 AM   #4
aparker
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

ada line is overpriced monofillament fishing line. for a line that won't degrade go to a sporting goods store and pick up a spool of mono.
aparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #5
Ebi
Aquatic RASTA Farmer

PTrader: (145/100%)

got a pic of your weeping moss?
Old 06-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
SomeCanuck
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparker View Post
ada line is overpriced monofillament fishing line. for a line that won't degrade go to a sporting goods store and pick up a spool of mono.
I got some ultrafine mono thread from a craft store, thinner and easier to manage than what I had found at the local bait shop. Works well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebi View Post
got a pic of your weeping moss?
Unfortunately, what's left is all in a glass by the side of the tank. I'll snap a shot tonight if I have a chance. I think there might only be one or 2 sprigs left tied down, but everything "blew" away and I didn't realize it because I had been neglecting thinning out my floaters for the past month. At the same time, the floater roots hide the bare branches at the back of the tank where the moss had been, so that's good at least haha