DIY CO2 ideas!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 06-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
CTet
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

DIY CO2 ideas!

Alright. So I'm about 4 months into the hobby. I currently have a 25 gallon moderately planted, running a fugeray. I'm dosing EI however I will admit I'm only doing it once a week because I was having issues with high nitrates even after water changes. I actually think my API master is off...but I'm not sure. Anyway, I've been wanting to take the plunge into DIY CO2. I'm really struggling with what I think is Hair Algae.
Here are my concerns.

The tank is already 20" high and the stand is another 3 or so feet high. I'm wondering where I can place my diy co2? I'm worried that if I place it underneath the aquarium on the shelf that I will have issues with pressure or siphoning? I would need about 4 feet of airline tubing if I place it underneath. 2 feet to the top of the tank and another 16 or so inches down near the substrate. Would that be an issue?
I was thinking of somehow creating something that might hang on the bank of the tank that could hold the CO2 but I'm not exactly sure what I'd do!
Any ideas are greatly appreciated!
CTet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
Bandit1200
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

I had my DIY CO2 underneath my aquarium without issues as far as the pressure goes. As long as you have a check valve in line you won't have any issues with the "siphoning".
Bandit1200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 01:55 AM   #3
Dolfan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

As Bandit said, check valve would prevent any siphon problem. If you wanted to make something to hang the 2 liter bottle from the side of your tank, you could probably use a wire hanger. Maybe put a sponge under the hook part, so as not to scratch or mess up tank rim. Then just bend the bottom part into some form of a loop, similar to those wire things used when dyeing easter eggs. May look a little ghetto though, just hanging out on side of tank. Nice tank btw, looks good, I also have a Emperor 280 filter, does a good job for me.

Also another option, if you don't want to do the DIY CO2, you could try Flourish Excel. It's basically liquid CO2, and helps as an algaecide. Look it up here on the forums. Many swear by it. Good luck.
Dolfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2013, 11:56 PM   #4
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Here is a very interesting thread on DIY Co2
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.