Weighing down sponge filters and foam
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 06-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
tempestuousfury
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Weighing down sponge filters and foam

I looked around Home Depot, and as last time, there were no granite or slate slabs or anything else that would be guaranteed to be inert. There were some paving bricks there, but they did not have adequate descriptions. Even if I tried the vinegar test, what are the chances that I could use these?

I am unaware of a landscaper near me, so I was wondering what you guys might have in terms of ideas or perhaps stores that could carry something I could use.

Thanks!
tempestuousfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
Dan's85
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Petco usually has shale or slate in various sizes for pretty cheap. I'd check there.
The Fraternity of Dirt #136
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

40b tank journal
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...594&highlight=
10g NPT Betta tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=358321
Dan's85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #3
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

If you can't find rocks, grab some drinking water safe solder. Wrap it around the base of the sponge filter.

Red clay brick chunks or lava rock are some other options/suggestions.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:53 AM   #4
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

There are rocks along the road and out in fields.

Put a few in some water and test GH, KH, pH and TDS every few days for a week or two. If they are OK (no changes) then you will need to find the right shape of rock.

Landscape stores that sell soil, mulch and similar materials in bulk will also sell rock. Take a sandwich baggie and a Sharpie pen and get some samples. Label the baggies so you remember what they are. Test as above. At the rock yards you may find slate or flagstone that is better shape for your use.

Rock is not easy to work, but if you have a good drill you can buy a masonry bit, and drill holes in the slate or flagstone. Then use nylon or polyester string or heavy thread to tie the sponge to the rock.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:08 AM   #5
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Look in the flooring section - there should be some tiles in there (not in the same section as bricks/pavers.) slate, granite, and ceramic should all be fine, and you can buy individual tiles (usually there is an open box, but if not you may need to open a box yourself)

You can use bricks, but make sure you get the ones made from clay, and not the cement/cinder ones. You could also use terracotta, like from pots, etc. (sometimes they have terracotta tiles in the flooring section)
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:46 AM   #6
ckraft
Algae Grower

Do you have any place nearby that makes or sells granite countertops. I've found nice pieces in their scrap bin.
ckraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:02 PM   #7
tempestuousfury
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan's85 View Post
Petco usually has shale or slate in various sizes for pretty cheap. I'd check there.
Hmm... Petsmart just has faux ornaments and I rarely go to Petco. I will definitely see if they have some.

I did not see any clay bricks there, but I might have overlooked it...

The tile idea sounds really good, too. I might try that, though I was hoping to just use string to tie down the sponge filter, and that would be harder with a stack of tiles... However, for the ornaments that sounds like a very good idea.

As for rocks in the wild, I do not have the time to wait and test them. Obviously the tests will take a while, and the vinegar test won't work for pesticides or the like. :/

Thanks for all the help, guys! I should be able to work this out now. ^.^
tempestuousfury is offline   Reply With Quote