3 day old tank=Can I do a partial water change?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 05:43 AM   #1
sleepswithdafishez
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
sleepswithdafishez's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2013
Location: under
Posts: 617
Default

3 day old tank=Can I do a partial water change?


when am I supposed to do the first water change?every day ,every other day or every week?the water is a bit cloudy white(bacterial bloom = new tank syndrome from what I read).I am in no hurry to add fish.Should I change water today(3rd day) or can I leave it some more?The tank is heavily planted and I use no diy CO2.
sleepswithdafishez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-18-2013, 05:51 AM   #2
thelub
Newbie
 
thelub's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SE Washington
Posts: 1,962
Default

Let it be. If you do a water change, you're getting rid of what helps the cycle along.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:55 AM   #3
Black Hills Tj
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Black Hills Tj's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Rapid City, South Dakota
Posts: 755
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelub View Post
Let it be. If you do a water change, you're getting rid of what helps the cycle along.

x2

Here's a little reading:

http://www.fantasyreef.com/database....d=11&itemid=62

http://www.fantasyreef.com/database....d=11&itemid=53

http://www.fantasyreef.com/database....d=11&itemid=77
Black Hills Tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:13 AM   #4
sleepswithdafishez
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
sleepswithdafishez's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2013
Location: under
Posts: 617
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelub View Post
Let it be. If you do a water change, you're getting rid of what helps the cycle along.
How bout the filter?must it be on low or high flow?have an eheim liberty 2040 on a 10 gallon, long tank.
sleepswithdafishez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:13 AM   #5
slavecorps
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
slavecorps's Avatar
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chicago, IL / Orlando, FL
Posts: 434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepswithdafishez View Post
How bout the filter?must it be on low or high flow?have an eheim liberty 2040 on a 10 gallon, long tank.
I really don't think it matters too much. I've always set filters for high flow for cycling and never had an abnormally long cycle.
slavecorps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
Qwedfg
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Qwedfg's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 394
Default

Flow is important for a quick cycle. The more ammonia that flows over your biological filter the better.
Qwedfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #7
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru
 
talontsiawd's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 4,242
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Default

You can change the water and many do 50% per day on new tanks. However, that will not help your cloudy water. It actually can prolong it by quite a bit. If you let it be, your water will clear up sooner.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:33 PM   #8
sleepswithdafishez
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
sleepswithdafishez's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2013
Location: under
Posts: 617
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
You can change the water and many do 50% per day on new tanks. However, that will not help your cloudy water. It actually can prolong it by quite a bit. If you let it be, your water will clear up sooner.
Thanx for the reply.It wasn't for the white stuff I was wondering about PWC ,
I was worried that too much flow from the filter would deprive the plants from CO2??(I m a noob) ,and was thinking to refresh a small percentage of the water every day.I know that white stuff does good ,it doesn t bother me (now I have a bit of white fluff on the wood and on some rocks) ,I m in no hurry to cycle and to add fish ,I ll probably do that in a month when I return from vacation.My plants are Crypts and java moss ,low consumers ,but heavily planted tank.
So in conclusion ,would a daily small PWC benefit the plants ,even if cycling will take longer?
sleepswithdafishez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #9
Tankoholic
Planted Member
 
Tankoholic's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 182
Default

I'd let it ride. Just watch your nitrites. I had a problem where my nitrites sky-rocketed to unreadable measures for over a week. Because of this, and the fact that I waited so long before taking action, my cycle was slowed DRAMATICALLY. I've read where you shouldn't let your nitrites stay over 5ppm for too long. I had to do a combination of most 90% (and 50%) water changes for almost a week before my nitrites fell back to comfortable levels where my cycle could continue.
__________________
ROAK Club member #96
Fraternity of Dirt #134
My 10G Frankenstein Tank
Broke college student
Worm Wrangler
Tankoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #10
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru
 
talontsiawd's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 4,242
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepswithdafishez View Post
Thanx for the reply.It wasn't for the white stuff I was wondering about PWC ,
I was worried that too much flow from the filter would deprive the plants from CO2??(I m a noob) ,and was thinking to refresh a small percentage of the water every day.I know that white stuff does good ,it doesn t bother me (now I have a bit of white fluff on the wood and on some rocks) ,I m in no hurry to cycle and to add fish ,I ll probably do that in a month when I return from vacation.My plants are Crypts and java moss ,low consumers ,but heavily planted tank.
So in conclusion ,would a daily small PWC benefit the plants ,even if cycling will take longer?
More flow will not hurt anything and likely help. I may be wrong but I believe that it should actually increase CO2 from gas exchange. If you inject co2, it's the opposite because you are injecting more than what is in the atmosphere (in the air) so it exchanged the opposite way. That said, it's not going to really mater if I am correct on this as it will be really minimal in terms of CO2. You will benefit from more benificial bacteria which is good for fish and some claim it can be beneficial for algae.

A partial water change is absolutely fine daily. I personally think it's too much work. The thing with low tech is you want things to stay consistent as much as with high tech, maybe more. So you would likely either want to do water changes very frequently (like daily) or infrequently (bi weekly).

That said, I have done plenty of low tech tanks with high flow, low flow and even no flow. With the proper balance of light, you can really have success with all.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:13 PM   #11
sleepswithdafishez
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
sleepswithdafishez's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2013
Location: under
Posts: 617
Default

yeah , gotta get one of those testing kits.Thanx for the rep
sleepswithdafishez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #12
sleepswithdafishez
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
sleepswithdafishez's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2013
Location: under
Posts: 617
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
More flow will not hurt anything and likely help. I may be wrong but I believe that it should actually increase CO2 from gas exchange. If you inject co2, it's the opposite because you are injecting more than what is in the atmosphere (in the air) so it exchanged the opposite way. That said, it's not going to really mater if I am correct on this as it will be really minimal in terms of CO2. You will benefit from more benificial bacteria which is good for fish and some claim it can be beneficial for algae.

A partial water change is absolutely fine daily. I personally think it's too much work. The thing with low tech is you want things to stay consistent as much as with high tech, maybe more. So you would likely either want to do water changes very frequently (like daily) or infrequently (bi weekly).

That said, I have done plenty of low tech tanks with high flow, low flow and even no flow. With the proper balance of light, you can really have success with all.
So more flow can increase Co2 then...I did not know that...
So how is the CO2 in the aquarium replenished when not changing water?Is it expelled by the plants during dark hours while consuming oxygen? I always thought the filter oxigenates water ,just like an airstone ,but it seems I am completely wrong.
sleepswithdafishez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #13
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru
 
talontsiawd's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 4,242
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepswithdafishez View Post
So more flow can increase Co2 then...I did not know that...
So how is the CO2 in the aquarium replenished when not changing water?Is it expelled by the plants during dark hours while consuming oxygen? I always thought the filter oxigenates water ,just like an airstone ,but it seems I am completely wrong.
Your filter does add oxygen to the water (or the surface agitation it creates does).

I said I could be wrong but I would guess the same thing would happen with CO2. Their is CO2 in the air so it would be the same with oxygen I would imagine. Not likely to add very much.

Now if you were injecting co2, it's quite opposite as you are injecting more CO2 than what is in the atmosphere, thus it is off gassing the co2.

Hope that makes sense. You are correct with the oxygen.

EDIT: I should have been more clear on the CO2. I meant it would deplete less CO2 over time, not add more to the water.

Last edited by talontsiawd; 06-18-2013 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: edt
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:16 AM   #14
Diana
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Contra Costa CA
Posts: 7,229
Default

Water holds just so much of each of the gases.
Where water contacts air the gases can enter or leave the water.

If something in the water is removing certain gases (plants remove CO2 from the water) then every time the water contacts the air more CO2 will enter the water.

If something in the water is adding certain gases (plants add O2 to the water) then every time the water contacts the air more O2 will leave the water.

If the water is not moving at all, then the only part of the water that can exchange gases is the part in contact with the air. Gases do not move through the water very well, so for example, and CO2 the water gains from the air stays within a fraction of an inch of the water surface.
If the water is moving with a gentle ripple most aquarium keepers find that is a good amount of surface movement. Enough to keep away any surface scum, enough to ensure good gas exchange.

I generally set up my tanks with about 10 times the tank volume per hour of water movement. Some of this is from filters, and the outlets are near the surface. Some of the water movement is from power heads that are lower in the tank, and there is not a lot of surface movement from these.

Water circulation in the tank is also moving fertilizers around so that the plants have a constant source of CO2, fertilizers, minerals.

Too much water movement can stress the plants. The leaves of the softer plants should be gently moving. Stem plants should be gently waving, but not much.
Diana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:26 AM   #15
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru
 
talontsiawd's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 4,242
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Water holds just so much of each of the gases.
Where water contacts air the gases can enter or leave the water.

If something in the water is removing certain gases (plants remove CO2 from the water) then every time the water contacts the air more CO2 will enter the water.

If something in the water is adding certain gases (plants add O2 to the water) then every time the water contacts the air more O2 will leave the water.

If the water is not moving at all, then the only part of the water that can exchange gases is the part in contact with the air. Gases do not move through the water very well, so for example, and CO2 the water gains from the air stays within a fraction of an inch of the water surface.
If the water is moving with a gentle ripple most aquarium keepers find that is a good amount of surface movement. Enough to keep away any surface scum, enough to ensure good gas exchange.

I generally set up my tanks with about 10 times the tank volume per hour of water movement. Some of this is from filters, and the outlets are near the surface. Some of the water movement is from power heads that are lower in the tank, and there is not a lot of surface movement from these.

Water circulation in the tank is also moving fertilizers around so that the plants have a constant source of CO2, fertilizers, minerals.

Too much water movement can stress the plants. The leaves of the softer plants should be gently moving. Stem plants should be gently waving, but not much.
That is a much better explanation than mine. Thanks for the clarification.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012