My Frankenstein Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #1
Tankoholic
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

My Frankenstein Tank

Alright, guys. I’ve been slacking off and haven’t done a tank journal yet, so I figured it’s high time to stop procrastinating with my first planted tank journal. Unfortunately, I had already had it set up a few days before I found this forum so I didn’t get to document everything. I cycled the tank with pure ammonia, which was quite a learning experience! Behold, my Frankenstein tank!

The basics:

Tank: 10G that was laying around
Hood: Florescent 20 in. hood that was laying around
Bulbs: Zoo Med Ultra Sun Trichromatic Super Daylight 6500K Fluorescent Bulb T8 15 Watt, 18-Inch
Top: All-Glass Aquarium Versa 20 in. glass top
Filter: Tetra Whisper Power 20
Heater: Aqueon Pro Submersible Heater 100W
Substrate: 1 in. of Miracle-Gro Organic Potting Mix mixed with red clay balls and capped with Eco Complete
Rocks: Utah Dragonstone (my friend purchased these rocks from DaveFish. Beautiful stuff!)

Fertilizers:

Seachem Flourish Comprehensive
I’m also researching how to make fertilizer balls out of red clay, and figuring out if I need to dose Excel

Flora:

Anubias (Assorted from LFS)
Java Fern
Ludwigia palustris
Cryptocoryne (Assorted from LFS)
Dwarf Hair Grass
Rotala colorata
Ludwigia repens
Ludwigia sp. Atlantis
Red Root Floaters
Crypt Wendtii
Brazilian pennywort
Red Tiger Lotus
Nymphoides sp. ''Taiwan'
Peacock Moss
Water Wisteria
There's probably a species or two in there that I can't identify

Fauna:

About 20 Red Cherry Shrimp
About 20 mystery fry that hitched a ride on some plants

I’m still learning what it is my plants need from me in order to thrive. I’ll be ordering an incandescent hood tomorrow to put some CFL bulbs into so I can get rid of the florescent fixture. I also plan on upgrading the crappy filter. This tank started off as a low-light, low-tech tank, but as you can see that escalated quickly! My plans are to turn it into a Scarlet Badis tank. I’ll rehome the majority of the shrimp to the new 20G that I plan on setting up. If you have any tips, tricks, or suggestions regarding this tank, let me know! Thanks!

Also, apologies for the potato pictures. I only had my phone on me at the time.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I have a prefilter sponge on my HOB intake to avoid any accidental shrimp deaths. This is the perfect trap for any decaying matter and the shrimp love to hang out on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rescape.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	160921  

Name:	shrimp.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	160929  

Name:	fry.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	160937  

ROAK Club member #96
Fraternity of Dirt #134
My 10G Frankenstein Tank
Broke college student
Worm Wrangler

Last edited by Tankoholic; 06-18-2013 at 06:01 PM.. Reason: Forgot an item
Tankoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
hambone870
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

you do some nice work, and your right, that stone is out of this world

[Hambone's House]

[Culture Club]
hambone870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
Gooberfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Gooberfish

Very nice! Any CO2 plans?
Gooberfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #4
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

very nice stone, i like the choice of the dark background, and hmm agreed that the shrimp would be happier without scarlet badis bugging them - our poor shrimp are in constant hide mode these days. for a shrimp-only tank something boring like a tank with just moss and no scary fish works just fine, although something like that would seem like a waste of a 20 gallon shrimp-only tank to me. i wonder what those fry are - if they're still smalll when you get the badis, they'll become badis food too!

hmm any chance of moving all the plants to the bigger tank and leaving the smaller 10 gallon as the shrimp-only one? the badis would be happier with a bigger tank too.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
Tankoholic
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone870 View Post
you do some nice work, and your right, that stone is out of this world
Thanks! The stone is so magnificent. My only regret is that my 10G wasn't big enough to fit it all in lol. I had put the tank up before receiving the stone, so the hardscape options were limited. I still have a couple of pounds for the 20G, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooberfish View Post
Very nice! Any CO2 plans?
As far as CO2 goes, I haven't considered it. Yet. I need to make a spreadsheet of all my plants and what they require so I can make an informed decision of how to proceed. I don't want to ignorantly deprive my plants, and since I'm upgrading the lighting, I may just have to take the plunge into CO2 as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahn View Post
very nice stone, i like the choice of the dark background, and hmm agreed that the shrimp would be happier without scarlet badis bugging them - our poor shrimp are in constant hide mode these days. for a shrimp-only tank something boring like a tank with just moss and no scary fish works just fine, although something like that would seem like a waste of a 20 gallon shrimp-only tank to me. i wonder what those fry are - if they're still smalll when you get the badis, they'll become badis food too!

hmm any chance of moving all the plants to the bigger tank and leaving the smaller 10 gallon as the shrimp-only one? the badis would be happier with a bigger tank too.
I may just do exactly that: keep the 10G for shrimp, and move the d. Dario to the 20G. Keeping shrimp wasn't in my "breeding program" and I had planned on using them as a food source, but the lil' buggers have stolen my heart. The 20G is probably going to end up housing d. Dario and Elassoma Gilbertii.

The fry on the other hand is a toss up. I've tried to feed them both egg yolk and green water and every time they get scared of the food. I'm hoping they're doing well enough off the infusoria for now. I'd relocate them into a breeder box, but they're fast and already stressed out. The more I look at my tank, the more fry seem to pop up. I may be up to 30 now.
ROAK Club member #96
Fraternity of Dirt #134
My 10G Frankenstein Tank
Broke college student
Worm Wrangler
Old 06-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #6
Tankoholic
Planted Member

Today I finally got the fry to eat! They seem to be terrified of the large, white cloud of egg yolks that looms toward them lol. It wasn't until the yolk hit the current of the filter and dispersed did they take any interest. I didn't want to do the egg yolk method. Fowling the water with the shrimp in the tank is frightening to me. I'm hoping the shrimp pick up the yolk particles and I will do a very slow and tedious 50% water change today; like drip-acclimation slow. I don't want to run the risk of sucking up these little guys.

I am starting to suspect that my mystery fry may be danios of some type. Not a fan of danios, so whatever fry survives will be ROAK'd off.
ROAK Club member #96
Fraternity of Dirt #134
My 10G Frankenstein Tank
Broke college student
Worm Wrangler
Old 07-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
Tankoholic
Planted Member

UPDATE:

Sadly, the first set up was short lived. I had to rip out all of my MGOPM due to some substrate problems. I won't go into too much detail since the thread can be found here . Long story short, I believe the pockets of gas from my decomposing soil contained something detrimental to my shrimp's well-being. Every time I'd release the bubbles, the shrimp would immediately become distressed; like they were drunk and being shocked with something. I immediately tore down the tank and took all out the soil, cleaned the Eco Complete, and did my best to set it back up within the night. Talk about pressure!

A couple weeks before the redo, I also added 5 Otocinclus catfish from Petsmart. They've been doing surprisingly well. We're going on two weeks with no deaths. Also, I had a berried shrimp before the move. I have yet to see if she dropped the eggs or is holding up well despite the huge transition.

The tank is still settling and is very cloudy. The rescape is the best I could do in an emergency situation. I quite like the added manzanita, though.

The shrimp are not settling in the tank very well. They're still in shock over the sudden change in water parameters. No shrimp deaths yet, though!
ROAK Club member #96
Fraternity of Dirt #134
My 10G Frankenstein Tank
Broke college student
Worm Wrangler
Old 07-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #8
Tankoholic
Planted Member

Just saw my berried shrimp! She hasn't dropped her eggs despite all the Hell I've put them through!
ROAK Club member #96
Fraternity of Dirt #134
My 10G Frankenstein Tank
Broke college student
Worm Wrangler
Old 07-19-2013, 04:34 PM   #9
Tankoholic
Planted Member

Oi. Multiple shrimp deaths have ensued. Le sigh. While I attempted to cleanse the substrate without damaging the BB, something still wasn't quite right with the tank. The shrimp huddled up at the top for a day before I noticed the die offs. I scooped the remaining ones up as gently as possible and they're now in my fry tank which still houses about 50 danio fry. There's a ton of floating plants and snails in the tank as well. Both tanks have excellent parameters, so I'm not sure why they rejected their original tank but I'm sure they know something that I don't. All in all, I think I may have 6 or 7 shrimp left. I think one of the ones that passed was my berried shrimp. T'is a sad day But the remaining ones seem to be much better off in the fry tank.

The Oto's, however, couldn't care less. Still have all five left. The manzanita has developed the dreaded white-fuzz-goop-stuff and they've been picking at it. I appear to have both my blue and brown ramshorn snail, too.

I don't want to give up on invertebrates just yet.
ROAK Club member #96
Fraternity of Dirt #134
My 10G Frankenstein Tank
Broke college student
Worm Wrangler
Old 08-04-2013, 03:50 AM   #10
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to I<3<*))))><

Aw man, sorry to hear you lost some shrimps. I wouldn't beat urself up too much about it. A lot of this hobby is trial and error and the the pro's have accidents now and again.

I agree tho about that manzanita branch, its freaking epic! So jelly. I really need to track down some more interesting wood for my tanks, haha.

Great to hear the otts are thriving for ya! I'd like to snatch a few for my cherry tank.

Can't wait for the next update! Hope the rest of your shrimp are doing ok for ya <3
Stephanie - RAOK Club #130
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
I<3<*))))>< is offline   Reply With Quote