My First 55Gal Planted - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-05-2013, 01:20 AM   #16
Tank Artist
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Can't identify this guy for sure, but he looks like maybe a leopard?? The stripes are spots though. I think I might have gotten lucky and got the less common pterophyllum altum. apparently wiki says they are less available than the other pterophyllum scalare...anyone know more or able to tell me what I have??

I shoved a little java moss down in the decor to give it a more natural feel while it has to be in here and stuck it next to the temple plant grove.

I'll add that these angels are EXTREMELY camera shy, so photographing them...sucked. I tried to get you guys photos with the underwater camera, not happening, it died and the charger is m.i.a.

I am soooo excited to get my shrimp in tomorrow!!

Edit: My kids and I have been hunting for the pleco all day...he found a really good hiding spot because I can't find him until he's just mysteriously out again.

Last edited by Tank Artist; 06-05-2013 at 01:23 AM.. Reason: pleco hide and go seek
Tank Artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2013, 01:30 AM   #17
Tank Artist
Algae Grower

This is the far left side of the tank. I had a piece of wood that i stuck some moss in a hole of and made a nature scape which will be similar to what i'm looking to do with the rest of the tank. I'm hoping this corner will make a good shrimp refuge when it all fills in. We have been finding them under the rocks and in the plant start bushes, so maybe a couple more little bridges built tonight that are too small for the angels and it'll be ready for the new peewees!
Old 06-05-2013, 01:34 AM   #18
Tank Artist
Algae Grower

I think this is a golden marbled angel...and shrimp

Last edited by Tank Artist; 06-05-2013 at 01:34 AM.. Reason: crs
Old 06-05-2013, 01:46 AM   #19
Tank Artist
Algae Grower

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/im.../yt_22393a.jpg

Both white ones in one place and showing off for once!

Both of the black ones look like that. I think it's a black marble.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #20
Tank Artist
Algae Grower

So, we took the boys to the LFS to find freshwater crabs for the hospital...they didn't have them. While we were looking we spotted a couple chinese algae eaters and grabbed those for the hospital instead. When the guy started bagging them for us....I saw the ever rare GOLDEN white cloud minnow!!! I already have a scheul of the WCM, but now there are three darker females with purple and one really gold bodied one with exceptional purple fins that I can only guess is the male. So pretty!!! They are twice the size of the angels, but they got the rest of the WCM scheuling with them last night

I also grabbed another sponge prefilter to prepare for my peewees coming today!! I'll get more shots up in a couple days after everyone is acclimated to the tank and maybe i'll have a little more growth on my plants.

Still nobody on the variety that angel is??
Old 06-13-2013, 10:13 PM   #21
Tank Artist
Algae Grower

Update: One algae eater committed suicide in the middle of the night by way of jumping out of the tank. Two angels and a platy all mysteriously died with no signs of why. No signs of bad water parameters, no signs of stress in other fish...kinda stumped

The only change made was adding a piece of cuttlebone to the tank to assist a cherry shrimp in a failed molt. I noticed a white band around him and put him in a floating breeder tank with some java moss. We got a box of cuttlebone in the turtle section and put some in the tank after inspecting the ingredient list extensively. Within two hours I saw dozens of teeny moltings from a batch of peewees from one member, then the two larger shrimp from before molted as well. The one with the failed molt has shown an amazing recovery and has no white meat showing anymore after a second molt, so she was released back into the tank. This is the only change in my tank. I cannot for the life of me find a TDS meter in town anywhere, so I need to order one. Does anyone know if the cuttlebone in the tank could be putting too much calcium in the water now?? How big a piece goes into a 55 Gallon tank??
Old 06-13-2013, 10:14 PM   #22
Tank Artist
Algae Grower

Doing daily tank changes at 15% with Prime as well. Temp is 75F. pH 7.4 (driftwood, stable)
Old 06-13-2013, 11:32 PM   #23
Oceangirl
Planted Shrimp Nut

PTrader: (11/100%)

How big a piece did you add my friend? less than a centimeter I hope. If not suck the rest out. Add too much and It could raise the hardness in your tank, You have to order a TDS online, you'll not find one locally. You may be able to get it tested at a Pool Store. But you really need your own meter. What are the stats in the tank? Parameters?
Oceangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #24
Tank Artist
Algae Grower

Super tiny. My bf tested the parameters this morning and we had a massive jump in Nitrates. We did a 40-50% WC with a lil extra prime. Will order a TDS online on tuesday. Got the Nitrates back down, but they are sitting at 5ppm. I must've kicked it back into cycle somehow. I'm continuing small WC twice daily to keep the levels down, but it is not looking good. This is sad.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:32 PM   #25
Oceangirl
Planted Shrimp Nut

Your nitrates are still high, you'll need to get then down to atleast .5 pmm, that is way too high. Your Angels need very pristine water. I suggest maybe 25% daily water changes.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #26
shawnleon
Algae Grower

Are we talking nitrites or nitrates? If nitrates, then 5ppm in a planted tank with angels seems acceptable to me. Pushing below 1ppm would leave nothing for the plants to consume.
shawnleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #27
Tank Artist
Algae Grower

Update:

Ok, so apparently I had kicked my tank back into a mini-cycle. I had low nitrates, but they were from before I pulled yet another rookie move and pulled my carbon bag out of my filter and replaced it with a clearmax fluval bag. I assure you I did my due diligence the last couple days and hit the research hard. I can tell you now, that I thought I understood the nitrogen cycle, but I had no clue. NOW, I could probably explain it to a newbie and they would thrive where I have failed...lol.

So, what have I learned?? I learned that nothing beats the advice of a guru...nothing. The only thing that should change in your tank once cycling has begun is the water. The common fish store employee doesn't know squat about tanks or how to keep them healthy, they are usually just there to collect a check. On the rare occasion you find someone at a fish store who has a tank at home, they haven't got the slightest clue about any other fish besides their own...which is usually a goldfish or some neons. Found the last two out the hard way after several attempts at taking their advice.

Research has always been my mode of operation and I should've done some more before starting these tanks. Thank you for not judging me harshly for it. As most of us do in the beginning, I totally rushed in guns blazing. Now I know better though, and my fish are already thanking me!!

My 55 Gallon tank now consists of:

12 White Cloud Mountain Minnows (even the little ones now appear to be goldens)
1 2" Pleco
2 adult Mickey Mouse Platy (one looks like she might pop any day now)
10-20 MM Platy Fry!!!! (we have spotted 9 at the same time)
2 Amano Shrimp (we had 3 in a micro setup but one crawled out?? so we moved them)
25 or so red cherry shrimp

The WCMM also spawned, but the eggs molded...not fertilized maybe??

So now I need to know...will the rest of the inhabitants be ok for their duration in the current tank? I know the pleco will get 18" and eventually he will need to be moved to a 100-150G, but will the bioload in a 55G be ok with everyone else staying in here?? I have decided with the recent multitude of babies in here that it will serve well as a breeding tank for feeding. All four of these species are used as feeders for the oscar I want. I have decided on two tiger oscars in a 200G tank once our house is ready.

As always thank you all for your advice
Old 06-18-2013, 08:49 PM   #28
Oceangirl
Planted Shrimp Nut

My friend what happened to the Angels? Your cycle is going to take a bit. I would still get rid of the pleco, they make more mess than they clean. Make sure to test everyday. Your cycle will take atleast 6+ weeks to cycle and stabilize. I had a feeling the cycle would actually start when you added the fish. I would add a few more plants and stay on the water changes. Getting Ammonia burns on your fins, will add a whole other set of problems. Also during cycling fishes immune systems are compromised so be careful, ICH, fin rot, and fungus has a habit of popping up.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:02 AM   #29
sadchevy
Planted Member

Your angels should have no problems with nitrate levels up to 40 ppm,unless they are wild caught. If your tank isn't cycled completely,then possible causes would be ammonia/nitrite spikes. If it was me, the pleco would go(high bioload), keep up very light feedings and check params daily and maintain water changes to keep things in check. Only change enough water to keep the params in check, to big a water change can hurt more than help sometimes. Your fish will do much better with stable water conditions,instead of trying to replicate conditions they so called came from(not many fish actually come from native waters anymore) and have adapted pretty well to local water supplies. Shrimp IDK so cant comment on them. Other than that I wish you well with your addiction to a very rewarding hobby.
Fraternity of dirt #135 The 6 Foot Plus Club

sadchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:23 PM   #30
Tank Artist
Algae Grower

The angels unfortunately did not make it despite my attentiveness to the tank. I stay home with my kids, so regular testing and water changes are not an issue. I understand that things still need monitoring. I have added plants slowly about once a week by generous donations from other tank keepers. I have done 10-15% water changes with prime being sure to only pull from open water for the time being because I don't want to suck up fry or shrimplets. I now have some fry from the WCMM too, but there are only a few in the breeder so we will see if any make it...they can fit right between the slits!

I believe the worst of my spikes for cycling are over. I had a local guru come by and check stuff out. She said the tank tests healthy and to just keep up with what i'm doing. The sight of several stages of babies shows signs of stability she said. I hope she's right

The shrimp are all molting well now too with a pinky nailbed sized piece of the cuttlebone in their 55g of water. Thank you OceanGirl!