HC dry start: My first Iwagumi - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-06-2013, 02:22 AM   #16
redeye
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Your HC looks much fuller than mine. I'm at almost 5 weeks doing the DSM. I'm getting anxious myself to fill it up but will wait longer. For myself I'm thinking around 2 months. Here's my HC. I guess like everything patience is the key.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=345994
redeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2013, 02:48 AM   #17
rygar126
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherHobby View Post
I've been doing DSM with my current HC plants since the end of Feb. That's a full 3 months. It'd be filled with water now if I didn't accidentally almost kill them twice with Excel.

So the plants can go longer than 2 months. Whether or not you can... I have no idea.
haha....i can barely handle 2 weeks.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:58 AM   #18
rygar126
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeye View Post
Your HC looks much fuller than mine. I'm at almost 5 weeks doing the DSM. I'm getting anxious myself to fill it up but will wait longer. For myself I'm thinking around 2 months. Here's my HC. I guess like everything patience is the key.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=345994
well i think i just made my plugs bigger. theres not too much growth and thats with 14 hour lighting.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #19
Gmonsta13
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by rygar126 View Post
well i think i just made my plugs bigger. theres not too much growth and thats with 14 hour lighting.
i think it might be your lighting. i had hc in a 3 gallon with the fugeray-r. went months and months without growth. i eventually just took it out and grew it emersed. i'm using it in my dsm now(http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh....php?p=3481042) i see some people with success with leds and hc but it seems more people have success with a t5ho or power compact set up. Looking good by the way. i like your hardscape.
Gmonsta13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:15 PM   #20
rygar126
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmonsta13 View Post
i think it might be your lighting. i had hc in a 3 gallon with the fugeray-r. went months and months without growth. i eventually just took it out and grew it emersed. i'm using it in my dsm now(http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh....php?p=3481042) i see some people with success with leds and hc but it seems more people have success with a t5ho or power compact set up. Looking good by the way. i like your hardscape.
thanks for your feedback! i really hope its not my lighting but i guess only time will tell. good luck with your iwagumi tank...it looks good so far.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #21
rygar126
Algae Grower

there has been a lot of sprouting so far. not a lot of side shoot growth but just new growth in general. i'm assuming that once the new growth reaches maturity the horizontal growth with start. no sign of mold, fungai or algae since i started spraying with hydrogen peroxide tho. i added nitrogen, potassium and trace elements to the mist to hopefully accelerate the growth. there hasnt been any dying leaves either....just slow and steady. hopefully it picks up soon!
Old 06-25-2013, 10:16 PM   #22
rygar126
Algae Grower

so im a little concerned with the lack of growth. Its been more than a month and all im getting are little shoots here and there. i havent really done anything different other than raise the water level a little bit because of yellowing leaves but within a day they water evaporated. i posted an update in the beginning of the thread. any advice would help! thanks!
Old 06-25-2013, 11:26 PM   #23
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

With fluval shrimp stratum, mine took 4 weeks before any noticeable growth. If I ready your first post correctly, you are at 2 weeks plus 10 days, so 24 days.

If you look at the time lapse in my 3 gallon nano thread in my signature, I just started to see real growth in week 4 before I killed it with excel.

Since yours is still alive and hasn't melted, I really wouldn't mess with it. On a side note, I wouldn't use FSS again for DSM just because it's soooo sloooow. It should go, but it takes time.

Good luck!
AnotherHobby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:37 PM   #24
rygar126
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherHobby View Post
With fluval shrimp stratum, mine took 4 weeks before any noticeable growth. If I ready your first post correctly, you are at 2 weeks plus 10 days, so 24 days.

If you look at the time lapse in my 3 gallon nano thread in my signature, I just started to see real growth in week 4 before I killed it with excel.

Since yours is still alive and hasn't melted, I really wouldn't mess with it. On a side note, I wouldn't use FSS again for DSM just because it's soooo sloooow. It should go, but it takes time.

Good luck!
Thats reassuring. Yeah next time I'll go with another substrate. You think its cause the substrate is too big and not enough nutrients?
Old 06-25-2013, 11:53 PM   #25
aluka
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/96%)

Did you use any root tabs? I am on day 15 on my dry start =), its spreading pretty good. But my ludigwia Atlantis all died, even tho they were grown emersed anyways..

Day 1 and day 15 =)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370882864.206162.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	164977  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1548[1].jpg
Views:	31
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	164985  

Old 06-26-2013, 01:25 AM   #26
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rygar126 View Post
Thats reassuring. Yeah next time I'll go with another substrate. You think its cause the substrate is too big and not enough nutrients?
I don't think it's the substrate size. I think it's the lack of any nutrients in FSS. It'll uptake nutrients fine, it just doesn't come with any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluka View Post
Did you use any root tabs? I am on day 15 on my dry start =), its spreading pretty good. But my ludigwia Atlantis all died, even tho they were grown emersed anyways..

Day 1 and day 15 =)
Yeah, I didn't use root tabs, and I'm pretty sure that's the big reason mine went so slow. It was my first DSM, so live and learn.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:36 AM   #27
du3ce
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

your downois are doing good with the ds?
du3ce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:54 AM   #28
rygar126
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluka View Post
i used API root tabs but after 1-2 weeks after planting.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #29
Vermino
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

wow great start.

Ok I need to look up on root tabs I guess because i'm about to embark on a DSM setup and scared I might be like "anotherhobby" and pulling my hair out from it haha. just playing buddy
Vermino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #30
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermino View Post
wow great start.

Ok I need to look up on root tabs I guess because i'm about to embark on a DSM setup and scared I might be like "anotherhobby" and pulling my hair out from it haha. just playing buddy
Oh trust me, 17 weeks of watching grass grow, then die, then grow, then die, then grow is sheer torture. Don't do what I did, even though I ended up with a great carpet in the end.