ultimate DIY CO2 with benefits… wine byproduct! - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 05-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #61
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrake View Post
My only worry is that when the pump is off the CO2 might flow back into the pump. A check valve might help.
Set up will be pump > 3 bottles with air locks on top > bubble counter > diffuser. Will try check valve between bubble counter and diffuser or between last bottle and diffuser. Got a few glass diffusers.

Last edited by Hilde; 05-28-2013 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: added text
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2013, 01:02 AM   #62
stlouisan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

HA I knew other people would do this! I had thought about grape wine diy cco2 before but figure it wouldn't be much good to drink. I did, however try my hand at making rice wine, and it came out like a strong unfiltered saki.

I used glutinous rice flour that I made into a slurry with water and cooked in the microwave. Then that dough/goop I dissolved in water to pour in the co2 bottle/reactor. I figure that cooking the flour would break the starches down further for the yeast to work on. I added sugar and wine yeast like usual DIY recipes, and let it go. What I did extra was after a month I tasted it and found that I could add more sugar; it wasn't very boozy, nor sweet for my taste. With added sugar I let it go for a few weeks further, tasting it weekly for the booziness.

In the meantime, I bought a glass bottle from Crate and Barrel that has an airtight rubber gasket top. I seals like a canning jar that uses rubber gaskets. When the wine was done, I poured the wine into this bottle and let it continue to ferment and store. I wish i could store it in the fridge but the bottle wont fit vertically and I'm not comfortable storing it on its sidein the fridge. Once in a while I'll pop the top to let the pressure out, and it's become quite strong with alcohol. I figure I'd drink it all before it gets too strong. Chilled or warm, it's a bottle of rice wine!
stlouisan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2013, 11:11 PM   #63
NeonFlux
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)

Brilliant idea! I'll have to try this and share some grape wine with my pops and family one day. Cool and thanks for sharing your recipe, Drake!
250 gallon Community Black Bar Red hooks/Silver dollars/Bala Shark/Cichlids/Loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roselines/ Monster fish tank
NeonFlux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 02:49 AM   #64
Wayne Dwops
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Well after 2-3 months I finally got five 12oz bottles of co2 to work with one bubble ladder. I got rid of the airlocks...don't think there's a need for them when using such small containers.
Wayne Dwops is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 05:15 AM   #65
TheDrake
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Dwops View Post
I got rid of the airlocks...don't think there's a need for them when using such small containers.
I hear ya. I'm phasing out my airlocks. They're nice to look at and see how each bottle is producing, but that is not something I need to know. Every 5 days I just automatically add a new bottle and pull the oldest, and that works for me. I'll miss watching the airlocks bubble, but they were just too prone to leaks. Now I'm going straight out of the drilled stopper into the airline with just a little caulk. Let us know how it works out Wayne. cheers
TheDrake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #66
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I'm phasing out my airlocks. They were just too prone to leaks. Now I'm going straight out of the drilled stopper into the airline with just a little caulk.
So at the end of the tube they are combined to you just have a bubble counter? Any check valves?
Old 06-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #67
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Dwops View Post
Well after 2-3 months I finally got five 12oz bottles of co2 to work with one bubble ladder.
I would like to see a pic of the tank. Got a link?
Old 06-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #68
TheDrake
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
So at the end of the tube they are combined to you just have a bubble counter?
yes, although usually the bubbles are a tad too fast to count (~10/sec?), but at least it gives me an indicator if there is a leak somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Any check valves?
funny you ask...I had one in but it leaked/backflowed a little so I took it out recently. now I am wondering why I did that because mostly working is better than not at all, lol. I will probably put it back next time I change a bottle and the system pressure is down. without it, the water from the counter flows back towards the bottles when I am changing bottles (pressure down), but its not enough volume to make it all the way to and into the bottles.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #69
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
when the pump is off the CO2 might flow back into the pump rather than into the tank.
I have been thinking about this. Remembered reading that a few just leave the DIY Co2 and add an airstone at night. Thus will experiment with that after I get my 20G up for Goby. Then when I do the experiment only hardy Tetra will be in the tank.

Just found this nifty idea of how to shut off DIY Co2 at night when a powerhead is not incorporated in the system which basically uses a balloon here.

Last edited by Hilde; 06-20-2013 at 12:13 AM.. Reason: added link
Old 07-01-2013, 08:19 AM   #70
NeonFlux
Wannabe Guru

Cool

Yo Drake!

I gave your diy wine co2 recipe a jump start yesterday I also worked on the bottles, check valve, and sealant until everything was cured today so I was able to set up everything, within a few hours later and look here Co2 is producing very nicely and rather QUICK (no joke, I could literally see small co2 bubbles rising a lot inside the bottle), the co2 pressure is really good (is it because of the summer heat? it's about 87-90 in the room where the bottle is kept) and diffusion is extremely taking lift off.. it's like I cranked up the PSI on a regulator, or up'd the BPS rate to a new all-time high.. Any thoughts on possible dangers of too high of pressure? A bit nervous about the glass bottle exploding! Lol Should I be worried? Anyway, I had a dream I was sipping on the wine juice already the day after I started the recipe, which was yesterday night, no kidding lol.. Looks like I'll really have some later on. I used CranRaspberry juice concentrate by Ocean Spray. It isn't the super concentrated juice type, I just poured it all the way near close to the top leaving some space without adding water.. (is that okay?) I mean, we really need the juice to be concentrated, right? If I added 11.5 oz of it and added water, it would be rather light, eh? Let me know what you think. Anyway I hope you like my pics. Really glad things are working out as planned.. I was afraid I might get a leak somewhere, but nope! So far, so good. Thanks for this idea, Drake. My new 2.5 gallon high tech, which I set up a few weeks ago, will benefit from the new wine co2 idea and me too. Good bye regular diy co2 haha.

250 gallon Community Black Bar Red hooks/Silver dollars/Bala Shark/Cichlids/Loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roselines/ Monster fish tank

Last edited by NeonFlux; 07-01-2013 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: Needed more to say
Old 07-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #71
TheDrake
Planted Member

Hi Flux! Glad to see your giving it a go. Let me try to answer your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonFlux View Post
the co2 pressure is really good (is it because of the summer heat? it's about 87-90 in the room where the bottle is kept) and diffusion is extremely taking lift off...Any thoughts on possible dangers of too high of pressure? A bit nervous about the glass bottle exploding! Lol Should I be worried?
I would wrap a towel around the bottle if you're worried. If your outlet gets plugged, it will explode. That said, it looks like you have a plug cap, which will surely pop out before you reach exploding pressures. I have had glass bottles explode for example when I capped (metal bottle cap) beverages like beer and root beer before they were quite done. Besides, wrapping it in a towel prevents sunlight from messing with your product, which can affect the flavor, so they say. Do you have just the 1 bottle going? Because takeoff is usually so vigorous, 1 bottle--or even just a few bottles--will give you very uneven CO2 levels over time, and all the problems that brings. I have 6 bottles going at once so usually only 1 is peaking while the others are in their long wind-down; as the peaker starts to wane, a new one is added (every 5 days). This keeps my bubbles per second fairly tight.

Quote:
I used CranRaspberry juice concentrate by Ocean Spray. It isn't the super concentrated juice type, I just poured it all the way near close to the top leaving some space without adding water.. (is that okay?) I mean, we really need the juice to be concentrated, right?
I think the target is for 'normal' juice concentration but lots of added sugar (3 cups per gallon). Congrats on getting cranberry juice to fire off; that can be tricky because of the pH.

Quote:
I was afraid I might get a leak somewhere, but nope!
I am becoming a leak freak. I am not happy with the rubber stoppers inside the mouth of bottles. I am going to experiment with drilling airline-sized holes in the glass lids of flip-top hermetically sealed jars, like the one pictured below. Will post updates, of course.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #72
rininger85
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I just suggested that my fiance needs to be the one reading up on how to do a planted tank since I'm currently invested in setting up my reef tank... maybe if I show her this thread that she can make her own wine she will want to do it... or maybe I'll get stuck making wine for her and converting my FW to a planted tank... :\
rininger85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #73
TheDrake
Planted Member

LOL! I think it's the ONLY reason my wife let's me have so many tanks!!!
Old 07-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #74
NeonFlux
Wannabe Guru

I see, thanks a lot, Drake for all the insight and info! I'll keep them in mind. I'm just using one bottle for my 2.5 gallon.. I'm sure the co2 levels will be alright after 1-2 weeks since the tank is quite small and I also dose excel. Interested in seeing updates of your new idea of drilling airline-sized holes in the glass lids soon.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #75
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I'm just using one bottle for my 2.5 gallon.. I'm sure the co2 levels will be alright after 1-2 weeks since the tank is quite small.
Seems logically best to have at least 2 bottles. For when the bottle depletes of Co2 you will still have Co2 injected into your tank. Especially at times Drake noted that it can take a few days for the Co2 to start.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.