Raising up bucket for water changes - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 06-18-2013, 03:07 PM   #31
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester946 View Post
Must be someone who doesn't have aquasoil...

Doing that would look like hurricane sally going through a tank...
haha that's true, i actually specifically have a corner of the tank that i left plant and loose-substrate-free, it has caribsea heavy grains there, and just a marimo ball. i never kick up a cloud when pouring over there (i did buy a python when first setting up the tank, but argh the threads didn't fit my faucet fixtures! so i came up with the desert wasteland area idea for bucket dumps).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 10:05 PM   #32
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Maybe you can make a small stand that you can hang the 5 gallon bucket by the handle from. Possibly modify one of those wrought-iron hanging plant holders the use in yards/porches, or build something out of iron pipe?
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #33
youknowho
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

I'm leaning towards getting a small pump from Harbor Freight and using that to pump new water from the bucket back into the aquarium. People that use this method - when getting old water out of the aquarium do you use the pump and send the water straight to the sink, or do you instead use a gravel vac into a bucket?

I'm wondering if it's ok to send slightly dirty water through the pump or if people usually only send new clean water through it. Seems like it would be ok since these pumps get used in ponds, etc.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:35 PM   #34
SmittyInFla
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I bought a power head that was FAR too strong for gentle water movement in the tank...Petco has it for $16.

I intend to use it to pump water in and out on water change days.

Our Motto: Making Mistakes, So You Don't Have To!

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=348865

Link to my first planted tank, 37 gallon tall, topsoil, sand, Eco Complete
SmittyInFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #35
etk300ex
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowho View Post
I'm leaning towards getting a small pump from Harbor Freight and using that to pump new water from the bucket back into the aquarium. People that use this method - when getting old water out of the aquarium do you use the pump and send the water straight to the sink, or do you instead use a gravel vac into a bucket?

I'm wondering if it's ok to send slightly dirty water through the pump or if people usually only send new clean water through it. Seems like it would be ok since these pumps get used in ponds, etc.
I siphon it directly out the window . It is fine to pump whatever through it however, they have a sponge filter on the intake. I use it for all kinds of things, in my pond, pumping off the pool cover, emptying my sons mini pool. Get the 4.5' (i think) head pump, its a little more heavy duty, its like $32 I think.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:32 AM   #36
youknowho
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

I got a pump from harbor freight and it works great, thanks for this suggestion everyone. Water changes are so easy now that my wife can do them when I'm out of town