Plant shipping revisited *again* - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 08-22-2008, 02:25 PM   #31
mrkookm
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)

Well I hope the point is coming across clearly to all those individuals who are selling plants. Don't sell if you do not understand how to do the above because you leave a bad taste in the buyers mouth and make it harder for the good guys who tries to sell plants.

Here are a few things I've learnt along the way:

1) There is no need to to sell stems above 10" or worse 20+" tall with roots and all. Maybe for a newb this sounds like you are selling something but it shows inexperience IMO.

2) Length of stems should to max of 7" or as tall as your ziplock bag allows without bending a plant. If the plant is indeed taller, use a bigger bag/ box which prevents the stems from being bent.

3) Do not wrap the plants up in water logged paper towel. This does not mean a a paper towel cannot be used because it can if done right. This is how I've shipped well over a hundred Erios that I've sold. Basically I use it to keep the leaves intact not to provide moisture by folding them like a cigar in either 5 x 2 or 4 x 2 sheets and then damp the towel. Some use filter floss which works great but I do the above with good success.

4) Do not pour water in the zip lock bag.

5) Fold the zip lock bag in such a way as to prevent movement in the bag and secure the zip lock in you box. When the P.O guys are unloading/loading the boxes it prevents the plant from bouncing about causing more damage.

6) Do not cut stems and leave it in a bucket of water for 'days' as you figure of the sale.

7) Give accurate description of what you are selling or even better post pictures. If you are selling subpar, deficient & algae ridden stems I'm sure the buyer would like to know that. Leave it up to them to make a decision to get it even if conditions are'nt good. Don't give them a surpise because thats when problems arise.

The Junkie
mrkookm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2008, 02:53 PM   #32
crshadow
Plant Grower

PTrader: (27/100%)

Thought I'd chime in with a pic of some plants I sent out recently. The pic shows how the bag is filled with air, and just enough moisture to have some condensation on the inside. This method has always worked great for me. In the case of really tender plants, something like filter floss/poly-fill, as previously mentioned, works really well to keep the plants from sticking to the side of the bag.

-Jeremiah
crshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:41 PM   #33
PRESTON4479
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (63/100%)
Send a message via MSN to PRESTON4479

Quote:
Originally Posted by crshadow View Post
Thought I'd chime in with a pic of some plants I sent out recently. The pic shows how the bag is filled with air, and just enough moisture to have some condensation on the inside. This method has always worked great for me. In the case of really tender plants, something like filter floss/poly-fill, as previously mentioned, works really well to keep the plants from sticking to the side of the bag.

-Jeremiah
I like it!!! Thats all you really need to do.

Equipment: 55g, 3x 9watt tt uv, 2-xp3's, pressurized co2, inline co2 reactor, 216 watt catalina t5 fixture, milwaukee ph controller, 300 watt hydor inline heater, aqua soil
Filstar Pimp #100
PRESTON4479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:46 PM   #34
rich815
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (34/100%)

Who am I to question what you have said works but to me that looks like too much room to me and that the plant could bounce around in transit.
rich815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:46 PM   #35
MrJG
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (114/100%)

Sorry to bring up an old thread but...

Yikes guilty as charged! Guess I've been fairly lucky with shipments so far other than a snafu with some red cherries which I doubt I'll try again for a while.

I'll be changing shipping practices now. Thanks for the schooling! I think it would be hugely benificial to have a proven shipping methods thread stickied in the swap&shop.

I know I've received plants from most of you before and I should have taken notice of the methods and learned from the fantastic condition of the plants. Doh!
MrJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:30 PM   #36
narhay
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Bump. Any methods on how to ship shrimp?
narhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:25 AM   #37
ryantube
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (89/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by narhay View Post
Bump. Any methods on how to ship shrimp?
Kordon breathing bag filled with as much water as it can hold, in a Styrofoam lining priority box. Regional Flat Rate Box A is my favorite. Perfect for up to 40 shrimps.
ryantube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:45 PM   #38
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

very informative thread.

Another hobbyist recommended applying layers of bagging for insulation and it just works. Each offers protection from compaction, another zone to dampen temps and holds the plants stationery. Of course the method of packing also vary by plant type.e.g. stems, full plants like erios, mosses.

Do not go cheap on the size of the box either. Going large in itself actually offers additional space for insulation. I use glad storage containers for firm leafed plants where some go cheap and persist in using sauce containers from restaurants.

The worst offenders often put all their plants into a large bag where it gets tumbled and tossed in transit.

Nothing conveys care and consideration more than taking the time to pack plants in individual bags (even single stems) and labeling the species. Some people are just in it for profit with shipping habits often conveying it.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #39
Silenced
Algae Grower

PTrader: (57/98%)

liven and learn
Silenced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #40
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Guilty of some of these, especially multiple types of plants in one big bag. Usually shipped with live ramhorns so I do add some water on there too - but all of my shipments have been "Here, take all my trims from today" RAOK's, not sales.

Tags
shipping plants