Johnson18's 20L Riparium w/Planted HOB ~ New Substrate and layout - Page 10
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #136
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theericafish View Post
Sounds fancy but beyond my knowledge!

I was thinking about this thread when I was doing my water changes today. Water change on the shrimp only tank is always scarier than on the fish tanks. :O
Haha... I am pretty sure that is actually beyond my knowledge too, but that's one thing I love about this forum you can learn anything! I've never worked with or had a sump in my life, much less built my own! I think it's a great concept though, lots of filtration & more water = more stability= easier to maintain water quality! What's not to love? Hahaha... I can think of a few downsides but I really doubt I'm gonna put a sump on this tank so none of it really matters.

I know what you mean about water changes! Doing water changes on my 55 and 3 gallon vase (both use tap) are so simple, though it is more water. I really don't mind taking the few extra steps on this tank though. This is really my main focus, as the 55 just has a handful of black neon and cardinal tetras along with maybe a dozen Otos.... Pretty boring. It just sits there and slowly chugs away growing plants.
johnson18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 02:09 AM   #137
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

So tonight I ordered seven pots of Cryptocoryne parva! Woooo finally! Haha I just hope it's enough to semi fill the area I want it to! I also ordered a couple C. lingua and an Anubias true nana petite. The last few will probably go into the emersed set up along with a couple parva plants. I've been wanting a parva foreground since I started this tank!
Old 06-16-2013, 05:33 AM   #138
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

I've got several Crypt nurii on the way from two different sources as well as Crypt spiralis. A few of the each will go into this tank to grow submersed while some will grow emersed.

I figure this tank is almost all crypts, other then a few things like moss, I might as well add a little more.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #139
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (426/100%)

Has your C. parva arrived yet?

I'm looking forward to seeing how you like it and seeing how it develops in your tank.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #140
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Has your C. parva arrived yet?

I'm looking forward to seeing how you like it and seeing how it develops in your tank.
Gordon shipped it yesterday! I'm super stoked about it! I've been looking forward to this for months! I spent a few months actively searching for C. parva with no luck. I'd finally just set the whole idea aside to wait a few more months!

I've gotta move a few of the crypts around as they are getting most of the light blocked out. One C. wendtii 'Florida Sunset' in particular has lost about 75% of it's size. I can't decide if I wanna move it in the tank or if I wanna pull it and grow it emersed.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #141
theericafish
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'm still here lurking also

Hope the water changes are going a little better. I need to do mine
Old 06-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #142
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Wow, lots going on today! Shipping plants out, plants from Gordon arriving and.... Plants blooming!! the Ruellia 'Katie' is blooming! This has been developing for almost a week and I've got pictures of the entire process. Sadly I've been in class this morning and now I've gotta run get water. So here is one of the most recent shots!

Old 06-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #143
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theericafish View Post
I'm still here lurking also

Hope the water changes are going a little better. I need to do mine
Glad you find it interesting or at least amusing enough to keep checking it out!

I did almost a three gallon top off last night using my 24oz spray bottle! I poured the water directly into the HOB, on top of the impeller. I tried to maintain a steady, gentle flow as not to significantly increase the overall flow. I aimed for 24oz of water added over the course of about 1.5 minutes with 45-60 seconds in between bottles. This may sound a little tedious but since I've got all the C. parva arriving I used the time staring at the tank to visualize my plan for planting the parva.

So far I've seen no sign of shrimp even struggling much less death. woohoo!!! -hopefully not too early to say this!!
Old 06-17-2013, 10:46 PM   #144
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Just a sneak preview! Lots and lots of Cryptocoryne parva! Will it be enough?!? Certainly not, but I might be a decent start... I guess only time will tell....

A few other goodies! =D
Old 06-18-2013, 05:01 AM   #145
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

So much planting, so many tiny plants! Remind me again why I wanted parva? Hahaha... Actually, I'm quite pleased with how things are looking! I separated the plants out of the 7 pots, set aside the plants I wanted to grow emersed & went to planting. I pulled a few plants out of the tank, moved a few others... I think I like the layout... Along with the C. parva I added just a couple C. spiralis and some C. lutea. Well, here are the pictures!!

Old 06-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #146
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

I know this hasn't been up long.....but.... I would love opinions or thoughts or ideas on the layout of the foreground & tank overall. I figure if I should adjust things I should do it sooner rather then later. I will try to get some better pictures of the tank tonight once the lights are on.

My two primary thoughts about the layout(both include C. nurii) are as follows....
1. In the front right corner of the tank, add a couple Crypt. nurii plants. This would eventually hide the intake of the HOB. The other option would be to place the nurii just behind the parva directly next to the intake sponge.

2. Just in from the front right corner, where the green C. wendtii was prior to the parva, plant C. nurii. I kind like the little split in the front. This would give the C. Parva in the foreground a cool curve around it, which I've always envisioned. My concern with this is that over time the nurii will grow and block the light to the parva behind it creating a division of the foreground into two separate sections.

I had an issue with a berried female last night right after the planting/rescaping & the massive water change that followed. I noticed she water on her side kinda twitching her legs. Luckily I had some tank water in a container from prior to planting. I placed her in the container & added a little RO water & some moss. Over the next two hours I added small amounts of tank water to the container. Once she was able to maintain a hold on the moss & moving around a little, I added her back into the tank right on the moss on top of the driftwood. She stayed in that same spot most of the evening pre-lights out fanning her eggs. This morning I was looking at the tank with the lights still off, she is actively roaming the tank again! I she am glad I noticed her when I did! She is a young female that is beautifully colored with an intense red, one of my favorites!

Sadly, I knocked off the bloom of the Katie! Boooo! The joys of planting hundreds of tiny little plants! Hahaha... Oh well, there are more buds emerging!

Last edited by johnson18; 06-18-2013 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: Add aquascaping ideas!
Old 06-19-2013, 06:09 PM   #147
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Woo more plants arrived today!

So excited!
Old 06-19-2013, 09:51 PM   #148
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

So I've been trying to figure out if I want to adjust the layout of my foreground by adding some C. nurii. I think the final decision is to add the Cryptocoryne nurii to the front right corner. I hope the nurii will eventually grow tall enough to semi hide the sponge intake of the HOB.

Pictures will happen this evening.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #149
pianofish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Sup Johnson18,

I'm diggin the parva man, I'm contemplating ordering 12 pots for my new 10 gallon thats about to go up.... sooo tempting....

I think that placement wise it looks good, but just keep in mind that its going to stay EXACTLY like it is for at least a few months. Thats the reason why I want a bunch to start out with. But if you have patience, it will fill in over time.

Nurii has the potential to grow as tall as most wendtii varieties, maybe a hair smaller. SO I would imagine that given enough time it should get pretty dang tall.

Would love to see a front shot of the entire tank without the riparium part to see the pretty crypts You could even do a left side, and then right side pic if its too long haha.

Looking good man, looking good,

Joshua
pianofish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #150
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

I too am liking the parva! I'm starting to see some melting, which I somewhat excepted as the plants appeared to be emersed grown. Seeing as they were FL Aquatics Nursery there is little doubt they were raised emersed. lol. Just means the plants I put in the emersed tank are actually looking pretty good! I decided to put all the nurii I received yesterday in the emersed tank too. So, I will be planting a couple of the smaller nurii plants I received today in here. I'm only gonna have to move about five parva. I am pleased with the amount of parva I put in this tank, though I will probably add some more in a few months, idk yet.

12 pots of parva for a 10 gallon tank would be awesome! I've got a 10 I wanna set up, just finished derimming it. I was thinking more along the lines of S. repens for it though.

I've been trying to get a good tank shot but I get horrid reflections off my floor. I'm actually really enjoying all of the crypts in this layout!

Tags
buildmyled, hydrophyte, riparium, ripariums, shrimp tanks