Hillstream/Borneo Loach Refuge - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #31
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

PTrader: (9/100%)

the stand came in the other day. i'm gonna bring it home this week and set the tank on top. it won't fit in my car so i have to wait for my schedule line up with the LFS, they are gonna let me use our service van to get it to my house. i'm thinking i might paint the back of the tank black, just to make things easier.

a small problem arose this past saturday, the friend that is supposed to work on the rock, hasn't even started yet. a little unhappy about that, but it is what it is.

but super excited for that stand, its a cherry wood color, and called a "modern" stand. i googled it and found nothing that looks like it. i think its gonna look great.

Hillstream/Boreno Loach Refuge

A Light Heart is Better than a Heavy Wallet.
Aquatic Delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 02:48 PM   #32
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (430/100%)

Painting it black will allow you to hide equipment. I have only one tank that I haven't added a black background to and wholly regret it.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #33
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Painting it black will allow you to hide equipment. I have only one tank that I haven't added a black background to and wholly regret it.

i've never painted it on before, i've always just used the reflective stuff they sell, or poster board. all of my tanks but my crab and my new shrimp tank have black background. (both my 29's, my 20l, my 10g, and my crayfish tank)

Old 06-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #34
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

I got my stand home today! i'm super excited about it, and i love the stand. the color doesn't exactly go with everything in my living room, but most of this is stuff i got on the cheap, and have been carrying around with me for a few years.

i talked to my friend (mau) about the rock, and mau said that it should be done in a month or less. i'm a little bummed it is taking this long but he is a very busy guy, he just moved into a new house with three kids, and works alot so i can't complain.

I bought a shop light (clip on one) from home dept the other day for my new 7g shrimp tank, and its pretty cool. i like the options for bulbs, and the easy access to them i have. so i think i'm going to go that route. when the guy sends a stand to the LFS he sends on "runners" that keep the stand up off the floor in the fish store so it doesn't get wet. i'm gonna stain those and use them as a rail to hang the lights on. in my head it will look nice. I'm thinking three will be more than enough. I'm thinking two 6500k and one that is in the 2700 range. idk.

i can't wait, i'm debating filling it with water and throwing some fish in there to start cycling the media.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:56 PM   #35
Lil' Swimz$
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Correct me of I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the bottom pane is tempered which means the whole thing would shatter.

Btw I LOVE hill stream loaches I used to have a fast water tank for some. Kinda makes me want to set it up again!!

20g
Lil' Swimz$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:17 PM   #36
chrislewistx
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

Good looking stand Will, you scored.
chrislewistx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:56 PM   #37
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Swimz$ View Post
Correct me of I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the bottom pane is tempered which means the whole thing would shatter.

Btw I LOVE hill stream loaches I used to have a fast water tank for some. Kinda makes me want to set it up again!!
I'm not sure what you mean? But I google searched glass strength before I started this build, and what i saw convinced me ill be okay. On top of that lots of saltwater people use these tanks with more weight in live rock than i will be using, with no trouble.

But either way I'm super excited build this. You should start one again:-)

@chris. Thanks bro. I hope I can do this tank right, KIA ( stupid Kia car commercials)

Old 06-26-2013, 01:41 AM   #38
Lil' Swimz$
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic Delight View Post
I'm not sure what you mean? But I google searched glass strength before I started this build, and what i saw convinced me ill be okay. On top of that lots of saltwater people use these tanks with more weight in live rock than i will be using, with no trouble.

But either way I'm super excited build this. You should start one again:-)

@chris. Thanks bro. I hope I can do this tank right, KIA ( stupid Kia car commercials)
Oh! I thought you said you wanted to drill the bottom? Maybe I imagined that part hahah! Well I thought people always drilled the sides because of the bottom being tempered glass, if you're talking about rocks and weight and stuff then hahah no I think it will be fine sorry I confused you!

20g
Lil' Swimz$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:23 AM   #39
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

oh i had thought about drilling the glass, but the lower part of the back glass. usually people drill the top (in saltwater) but i was thinking of drilling the lower part of the sam glass to hide the tubes. but i decided against that. if i ever need to do to maintence to the lines, or any other major maintence i would have to drain the whole tank to do it. and that would be bad. so i'm just going to paint the back glass and maybe use painted PVC to hide alot of the tubing.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #40
CheyLillymama22
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

I can't wait to see this tank up and running!Id love to get hillstream loaches, maybe one of these days.
CheyLillymama22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:51 PM   #41
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

everything is pretty much at a stand still until i can get the rock from my friend. i have thought about filling it up with water, and adding a few fish to start cycling the new canister. but laziness gets to me everytime...and i would feel bad putting fish in a empty baron tank.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #42
skoram
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I was thinking about buying some Borneo Loaches at my LFS a few weeks ago but read that they prefer cooler water. At any rate, I think this is a cool idea. Can't wait to see the final setup.
skoram is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #43
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

thats the only spot i don't do quite right. because they will be sharing the tank with

double red agassizi

Rummy nose

bamboo shrimp(singapor wood shrimp)

I'm going to be keeping the tank at the top end of the temp range for the Loaches, and the bottom end of the Temp range for the other fish.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #44
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

just hooked up the second canister to start cycling!!! i hope i don't kill my livestock doing this. i ran the new one into the old one in the hopes that it would reduce the ammonia in the tank by first giving the established bacteria the opportunity to eat as much as possible.

i have a total of 3 baskets filled with biological media ( 60 bio-chem stars, and 1 litre of ceramic rings) plus the mechanical filtration and carbon in the old canister.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #45
CT89
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Cool thread.

Hooking canisters up in series seems to be popular in the shrimp hobby, or so I've read. I doubt it would hurt at all, unless the second canister happened to be full of chlorine or something that would hurt the cycle (doubtful?).
CT89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
borneo loach, gastromyzon, hillstream loach, hypergastromyzon, sewellia