My discus grow out tanks
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 06-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
buddly
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

My discus grow out tanks

I have a 125 on the left which will be the grow out tank.2-75gls on the right,Top 75gl is for water storage and the bottom one is for Pista,water lettuce.The bottom 75 driven by a 700gph pump and the 125 is driven by a 950gph pump share the same 55gl sump.The bottom 75 has a valve so I can hook up a hose for easy w/c and the top 75gl has a valve that drains it into the bottom 75.For fast hands free 75gl w/c.Now what I have going on here is the bottom 75 is going to be loaded with Pista,to aid in the goal for pristine water for my discus.What do you all think?
...............please watch video.....................
http://s551.photobucket.com/user/meg...129e8.mp4.html

Last edited by buddly; 06-17-2013 at 11:03 PM.. Reason: as always for me spelling
buddly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2013, 11:45 PM   #2
du3ce
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

looks good dont know about a grow out in a 125 you can prob keep them in there lol.
du3ce is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2013, 11:51 PM   #3
flukekiller
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah I would use the 75's as the grow out ... I had 9 discus in my 125 and they all grew to softball six.. definitely need to get rid of that green terror? Or is that a jack?
flukekiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2013, 05:42 AM   #4
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

you could grow them out easy in the 75 and use use the 125 for water storage. Then you could basically do a morning and an evening 100% wc. nothing says water quality like a water change
dprais1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #5
buddly
Algae Grower

Thanks guys but the system is built for the 125 to be the grow out tank.Here is an article on the pista and a few others.Basically the bottom 75 is like a huge refugium.

...............let the plants help you.................
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15371212

Well it has been one month and 8 75gl w/cs fish have grown from 2.5 to 4" and getting bigger every day.The 75gl Pista tank is doing a great job I test nitrites and nitrates before every w/c and the reading has always been 0.
.................click to play........................
http://s551.photobucket.com/user/meg...66ed4.mp4.html

Last edited by buddly; 07-29-2013 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Old 07-28-2013, 12:53 AM   #6
du3ce
Planted Tank Enthusiast

are they stressed or something some still have stress bars
du3ce is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2013, 01:20 AM   #7
buddly
Algae Grower

There not used to the flash
Old 07-28-2013, 01:41 AM   #8
discuspaul
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Very nice-looking discus, even with the stress bars - but they still have time to mature and color up well.
Just curious though - can you explain how, in layman's terms, the pista would create pristine conditions for the discus ? At least, that's what I seem to be getting out of your thread, even after reading through the link on the plant, which doesn't tell me much of anything. No criticism intended here - just would like to hear your take on your project.
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2013, 01:54 AM   #9
buddly
Algae Grower

Well the Pista is like a huge refugium.I feed very heavy 5+ times a day even BH and after 4 days nitrates are zero.all I know for sure is it work and works well.Try that with out the plants and you have a very high nitrates

I am not talking about a little pista I am talking about 3lbs+it is 4'x2'. I throw out 1.5 lbs ever w/c.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-28-2013 at 06:37 AM.. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Old 07-28-2013, 02:54 AM   #10
discuspaul
Wannabe Guru

Yes, I can see that the Pistas would certainly soak up the nitrates - but how would that otherwise produce pristine water quality and conditions for discus ?

Large, frequent wcs will have the same effect of eliminating nitrates (assuming there's none in the tap water), and in my way of being brought up in the 'discus world', the addition of lots of fresh, clean water, coupled with good tank cleansing husbandry, was always the optimal way of creating the best water quality & conditions for discus.
Do you not do wcs & vacuuming of wastes ?

Not wishing to argue the point, but I really don't see the value of that deluge of Pistas , unless you don't want to do any water changing at all, and even then I question whether you would have, or maintain, resulting high quality water conditions.

Also, I agree with du3ce that growing out discus in a 125 is perhaps not the size of tank to be utilized, unless you're growing out 100 young fish at once. A 75 would be better, if the numbers of fish are within the usual bounds.
Just my opinion - I still love your discus.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:15 AM   #11
Dx3Bash
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looks nice. I actually use something similar with my 120 discus tank. I have a freshwater refugium packed with Hygrophila polysperma and some Taiwan moss. My nitrates are always near 0. But I also do a minimum of three 40% water changes each week so that also contributes to the low nitrates.
Dx3Bash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #12
buddly
Algae Grower

I vacuum the tank daily and yes I don't want to do w/cs everyday.I work as many as 70hrs a week pouring concrete for local 518 and just to wore out sometimes.I keep my tanks spotless.Even at 2 w/cs a week that is still 150gl w/c per week.I just think that more people would keep discus if they new there are way around some of the w/cs.Thanks for your replys
Old 07-30-2013, 08:07 PM   #13
buddly
Algae Grower

Water Quality is defined by how safe your water is for fish. These are things like ammonia/Ammonium, nitrite and Nitrates. The less of these, the higher the water quality is essence. That's quite simple right, yes right...
Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
Yes, I can see that the Pistas would certainly soak up the nitrates - but how would that otherwise produce pristine water quality and conditions for discus ?

Large, frequent wcs will have the same effect of eliminating nitrates (assuming there's none in the tap water), and in my way of being brought up in the 'discus world', the addition of lots of fresh, clean water, coupled with good tank cleansing husbandry, was always the optimal way of creating the best water quality & conditions for discus.
Do you not do wcs & vacuuming of wastes ?

Not wishing to argue the point, but I really don't see the value of that deluge of Pistas , unless you don't want to do any water changing at all, and even then I question whether you would have, or maintain, resulting high quality water conditions.

Also, I agree with du3ce that growing out discus in a 125 is perhaps not the size of tank to be utilized, unless you're growing out 100 young fish at once. A 75 would be better, if the numbers of fish are within the usual bounds.
Just my opinion - I still love your discus.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:50 PM   #14
discuspaul
Wannabe Guru

Yes, quite correct.
But to be successful with discus-keeping, no amount of plants, no matter how substantial in volume, will completely rid your tank of the inevitable daily build-up of fish wastes, left-over food, decomposing plant matter, and other detritus, which in turn will serve only to generate more ammonia and nitrites that are the source of developing toxicity - more than can be handled by the plants - thereby negatively affecting water quality & conditions.
The plants will not offset this, and only relatively frequent fresh clean water changes of some significant volume, coupled with a good tank cleansing regimen through vacuuming, tank wipe-downs, and filter maintenance, will accomplish this and maintain high quality water conditions.
The answer to keeping discus healthy & thriving lies with proper husbandry imo & e, and all I'm saying is that a large availability of plant matter is no substitute, nor compensation, for significantly lessening wcs and cleansing, and that's been shown to be valid time & time again.
But hey, it's your set-up, and if you feel it will work well for you, then by all means do so.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #15
Shawn123
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

The op is not using the pistas in place of wc, they are still doing 2x75gal wc a week and the plants help soak up excess nutrients in between.
Shawn123 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.