Speedie's Shrimp Pix Collection pt. II **NEW SHRIMP PHOTOS - 8/28/14** - Page 55
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 06-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #811
mjbn
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

Maaaaaan, I needa get these other tanks set up and established. I wanna get more of your shrimp already. LOL Gotta see if I can source some Amazonia before I decide to make a trip to SF just to pick some up
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2013, 06:43 AM   #812
speedie408
ShrimpKeeprExtraordinaire

PTrader: (390/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioaficionado View Post
LOL! I also have an unused kit laying around. Fish and plants just seem to grow like crazy with high light, CO2 fish food & poo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbn View Post
Maaaaaan, I needa get these other tanks set up and established. I wanna get more of your shrimp already. LOL Gotta see if I can source some Amazonia before I decide to make a trip to SF just to pick some up
Try posting a WTB on SFBAAPS. I'd sell you a bag but I'm down to my last box and I need them to redo my tanks. Most likely AFA will be your best bet though.
speedie408 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:21 AM   #813
mjbn
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
Try posting a WTB on SFBAAPS. I'd sell you a bag but I'm down to my last box and I need them to redo my tanks. Most likely AFA will be your best bet though.
It's okay I do have a question about it though. I know that a lot of buffering substrates tend to turn to "dust" or crumble/etc after a year or two of use, how long does Amazonia usually last? And what pH should I be expecting with Amazonia (say like 2-2.5" of it)? With RO water of course. If it's below ~6.4, I might consider some of your Pandas that my girlfriend wants in the new tanks. That's if all goes well with the CRS and TT's first though

But yup, already did but no luck yet. Fingers crossed that I source a bag soon, I have 2 sellers ready to sell me some TT's and I wanna cycle/leech out that ammonia ASAP:P Not sure I have any extra money to cover gas for another SF trip in my janky 10 mpg 93' van. lol
Old 06-15-2013, 12:44 AM   #814
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

any idea on the ph of the oebt nick? i know mine liked it between 7 and 7.5, my gh and kh are the same in all my tanks gh 7, kh 2, tds in most tanks is about 220. not sure what it will be like where im moving to but so want more tigers i love them.
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #815
speedie408

Quote:
It's okay I do have a question about it though. I know that a lot of buffering substrates tend to turn to "dust" or crumble/etc after a year or two of use, how long does Amazonia usually last? And what pH should I be expecting with Amazonia (say like 2-2.5" of it)? With RO water of course. If it's below ~6.4, I might consider some of your Pandas that my girlfriend wants in the new tanks. That's if all goes well with the CRS and TT's first though
If you're planning to use RO, you will also need to add remineralizer to achieve 150 TDS. This should put you at about PH 6 - 6.5

Ada AS wont turn to dust unless you're using the old formulated soil. The new stuff has remain solid for me. I cycle out soil within a year because it does lose its buffering effectiveness over time. Shrimp absolutely love new soil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
any idea on the ph of the oebt nick? i know mine liked it between 7 and 7.5, my gh and kh are the same in all my tanks gh 7, kh 2, tds in most tanks is about 220. not sure what it will be like where im moving to but so want more tigers i love them.
Just measured and it read 6.6 with a Tds 250. This is PERFECT for tigers. No wonder they're in love! Haha
Old 06-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #816
Forumsnow
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)

My royals and oebt seem VERY happy in 7.4, atleast that's what it was a month or so ago lol. Royals are still doing great Nick and growing along at a good clip. Thanks again for the great shrimp. Looks like we will be using a moving company and flying out to sac, so i will have to sell them off. But that only means I can redo the tanks and maybe come pick all my new shrimp out from you in person! Thinking going straight royal blues in one tank and tb's in my 20 long fish tank I will have to shut down.
Forumsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:41 PM   #817
mjbn
Wannabe Guru

Awesome, thanks Nick! I'm using Salty Shrimp GH+ on my RO water right now. And i guess i'm going to SF with my sister within the next week for some Aqua Soil. Lol First time going to AFA, too. Would you recommend any particular way in cycling the Amazonia that you find works quickest/best?
Old 06-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #818
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

i never had luck breeding under 7 babies would never make it. thanks for the parameters. i might give them a shot when i get moved grrrrr i want shrimp back lol
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:54 AM   #819
speedie408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forumsnow View Post
My royals and oebt seem VERY happy in 7.4, atleast that's what it was a month or so ago lol. Royals are still doing great Nick and growing along at a good clip. Thanks again for the great shrimp. Looks like we will be using a moving company and flying out to sac, so i will have to sell them off. But that only means I can redo the tanks and maybe come pick all my new shrimp out from you in person! Thinking going straight royal blues in one tank and tb's in my 20 long fish tank I will have to shut down.
Wifey don't allow home visits but I'm sure we can work something out . LMK once you get situated in Sac. Good luck with your sale.

Quote:
Awesome, thanks Nick! I'm using Salty Shrimp GH+ on my RO water right now. And i guess i'm going to SF with my sister within the next week for some Aqua Soil. Lol First time going to AFA, too. Would you recommend any particular way in cycling the Amazonia that you find works quickest/best?
Good stuff! With ADA AS I cycle with tap for a few days, do 100% WC on the 3rd day, do another on the 5th, 10th, and 15th day. I like to put moss or plants from my other tanks into the tank from the get go to establish some good bacteria in the new tank. I even toss in a few shrimp culls after the 5th day just to monitor them (normally neos). After the 15th day, test your water. You should be good to go after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
i never had luck breeding under 7 babies would never make it. thanks for the parameters. i might give them a shot when i get moved grrrrr i want shrimp back lol
Everyone has their own ways of doing things so just do what works best for you.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #820
Forumsnow
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Nick, hopefully someone in New England is looking for a tank full of some quality shrimp. Sorry didn't mean to sound like a creeper, thought I had seen in old threads people picking up. But that was probably before you were as big as you are today so I totally understand. Atleast I will be able to get express shipping speeds for the price of priority.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #821
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

PTrader: (103/100%)

No express is the same price no matter where it goes for the post office

Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk HD
Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #822
Lexinverts
Maestro of Invertology

PTrader: (42/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarbee54 View Post
What do you mean? Express is billed by zone, just like everything else.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=338362
Lexinverts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #823
Lexinverts
Maestro of Invertology

PTrader: (42/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forumsnow View Post
Thanks Nick, hopefully someone in New England is looking for a tank full of some quality shrimp. Sorry didn't mean to sound like a creeper, thought I had seen in old threads people picking up. But that was probably before you were as big as you are today so I totally understand. Atleast I will be able to get express shipping speeds for the price of priority.
Don't be a shrimp stalker!

My wife has reservations about all those wacky, obsessive-compulsive shrimp addicts, showing up at our place too. It's all she can do to just put up with me.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=338362
Lexinverts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #824
mjbn
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
Good stuff! With ADA AS I cycle with tap for a few days, do 100% WC on the 3rd day, do another on the 5th, 10th, and 15th day. I like to put moss or plants from my other tanks into the tank from the get go to establish some good bacteria in the new tank. I even toss in a few shrimp culls after the 5th day just to monitor them (normally neos). After the 15th day, test your water. You should be good to go after that.
Cool, you just answered another question I was gonna ask about using tap or pure RO for the cycling process. Would hate to change the water out a lot using RO

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2013, 11:39 PM   #825
Forumsnow
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarbee54 View Post

Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk HD
I meant I can receive a package shipped priority in the same amount of time as I would have express living here, aka with in like 24 hours since I will only be like 2 hours away.

I must admit I do have a bit of a shrimp obsession. Thankfully once they started popping out super cute little babies my wife jumped on the wagon. I do wake up in cold sweats thinking of shrimp lol!