^pH Tap, W/C, BBA,
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 06-16-2013, 01:05 AM   #1
tylergvolk
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

^pH Tap, W/C, BBA,

The pH of my tap is 8.3 according to my high range API pH test kit. If I let that water sit for about 4 days, then the pH reads 6.8.

I was unaware of this and did large 50%-75% water changes weekly on my newly setup low tech no co2 Fluval Ebi shrimp tank. Needless to say, I have a lot of BBA in this tank but before I combat the BBA I want to ask you all if I am doing this correctly.

If I do water changes with water that has been sitting for a few days the pH better matches my tanks pH which is about 7. Also, since this is a non co2 tank, letting the water sit gives the co2 a chance to dissipate; therefore, I eliminate co2 spikes at water change times.

Does this sound like a good plan of action to controls water parameters or am I way off?

Note: I'm trying to bring my nitrates down with water changes. My nitrates are at 10ppm. It's so hard to read those damn API test kits.

Thanks for your advice.
tylergvolk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2013, 02:53 AM   #2
sadchevy
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Nitrates at 10ppm is not bad..I try to maintain mine in the 20-40 ppm range. Nitrates are good for most plants. You just don't want them to get to high.
Fraternity of dirt #135 The 6 Foot Plus Club

sadchevy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2013, 03:21 AM   #3
Tzac
Planted Member

Most healthy aquariums will sit at least at 10ppm of nitrates.
Tzac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
tylergvolk
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

Alright, good to know.

So, but I want to my ammonia and nitrites to be 0 correct?

What about this pH issue?

Doesn't it seem odd that the pH of my water actually rises after it has been sitting out?

Is this normal?
tylergvolk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2013, 06:20 PM   #5
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

It is normal for some water.
Trapped in the water may be any of various gases, or it may be lacking in gases. Either way are not unknown.

When your water (lacking gases) is exposed to air it starts absorbing CO2, and the pH drops.

You can make this happen faster by adding a bubbler or small fountain pump to your storage container. Put the pump at the bottom, aiming vertically. This water flow pattern is called a flume, and is the most efficient way to circulate water so it all gets exposed to the air. This allows gas exchange to happen quicker, so the water is ready for a water change sooner.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.