New 300 gallon high tech high light planted Discus tank - Build Journal - Page 27
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #391
clunkified
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Insane!
clunkified is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013, 09:43 PM   #392
synaethetic
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Every time I stumble across this thread there are so many wonderful updates to see. The best things in life take time, you are doing a great job of planning it out and executing your ideas to see it come to life. Surely I speak for all of us when i say we can vicariously enjoy your build through this amazing journal. Can't wait to see you scape the tank and fill it!

Goodluck!
synaethetic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2013, 10:47 PM   #393
Mizuhuman
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Wow. just read through 27 pages hoping to see the tank complete with fish and plants, but its not done yet. what a cliffhanger. My hat is off to you. your planning and patience is top notch. I could barely wait that long. Also, how did you learn to do all those wiring for the lighting and the plumbing work? Self taught or did someone teach you?

Of course, subscribed
Mizuhuman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 01:32 PM   #394
rbarn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Final sump design. Sent it off to the custom sump maker to get a quote and see if I want to just pay someone to make it or DIY it. I've made sumps before, but working with acrylic is a pain, especially on 5'+ long sump.

rbarn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 11:16 PM   #395
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

I like the overflow-into-the-sock idea. Do you think you really need 6 socks? It can't hurt, but is it necessary?
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2013, 01:37 AM   #396
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Have you thought about a custom lifereef sump? Those are w/o socks and really highly recommended.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2013, 02:36 AM   #397
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelub View Post
I like the overflow-into-the-sock idea. Do you think you really need 6 socks? It can't hurt, but is it necessary?
From what I have seen, peace of mind has no price to him lol

I seriously can't wait to See this setup in operation
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2013, 07:13 AM   #398
Xirxes
Algae Grower

I sincerely hope that you are hiring a qualified service to upkeep this system once it finally gets wet. From weekly sock changes/blasting, monthly sock bleaching, to weekly water changing, to multiple filter media replacement/ algae cleaning, weekly parameter testing and plant trimming, unless you are retired, you have established a full time position for yourself tank side.

If these systems are not up-kept, each and every one of them will become a nightmare (clogged filter parts bogging flow, unkept socks leaching waste back into system/overflowing, etc).

FWIW, please order yourself at least 24 socks, because having managed a muti-sock system for about 3 years, any less than 4 replacements per hole will be tedious at best.

If all of these parts are properly maintained though, you will have yourself a seriously magnificent setup. Reminds me of what they have setup for the large Amazon biotope at the Georgia aquarium.
Xirxes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2013, 02:18 PM   #399
rbarn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xirxes View Post
I sincerely hope that you are hiring a qualified service to upkeep this system once it finally gets wet. From weekly sock changes/blasting, monthly sock bleaching, to weekly water changing, to multiple filter media replacement/ algae cleaning, weekly parameter testing and plant trimming, unless you are retired, you have established a full time position for yourself tank side.

If these systems are not up-kept, each and every one of them will become a nightmare (clogged filter parts bogging flow, unkept socks leaching waste back into system/overflowing, etc).

FWIW, please order yourself at least 24 socks, because having managed a muti-sock system for about 3 years, any less than 4 replacements per hole will be tedious at best.

If all of these parts are properly maintained though, you will have yourself a seriously magnificent setup. Reminds me of what they have setup for the large Amazon biotope at the Georgia aquarium.

Maintenance should not be that bad. Takes about 2 mins to swap out filter socks and the canisters will be placed so they can be easily maintained as well. The filter socks should catch most of the waste and debris, so the other filters should only need cleaned twice a month and the large 25 micron filters probably every 6-8 weeks at most.

Everything will be monitored with pressure switches, flow switches and float switches to tell when something is starting to get clogged and Apex will send me a text/email telling me to clean the filter.

Water changes and fert dosing will all be hands off and automatic.

Tank cleaning will be done with a separate small pump to act as gravel vac and waste water will be dumped down a drain.

I dont expect to spend more than 1-2 hours a week on cleaning and maintenance.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:29 PM   #400
rbarn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Final upgraded sump design with flush sitting filter socks, water change over flow box and top with recessed cut outs for lids to seal the whole thing

Old 06-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #401
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

So the water change overflow, as you add water to the sump it fills and drains water, assuming I am looking at it correctly... That's quite ingenious!

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2013, 04:41 PM   #402
rbarn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA-Planted View Post
So the water change overflow, as you add water to the sump it fills and drains water, assuming I am looking at it correctly... That's quite ingenious!

Correct. I will also route a 1" pipe in the sump so that all the new water being added is getting immediately sucked up by the return pump and sent to the tank. So all that can overflow is old water coming back from the tank. This should give me true 100% exchange.

The overflow box sets the water level in the sump. It is set 1" below the overflow of the previous chamber. This is also where evaporation water levels will fall on the whole system, so there will be float switch to turn on the water change pump if water levels ever fall too low from evap or pump start up.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #403
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

Thats an interesting design for the water change system. A lot different than using a couple well placed ball valves and a tee.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2013, 10:42 PM   #404
Xirxes
Algae Grower

i have used a similar design with tap water through a Carbon whole house canister to perform 100 gallons a day water change on a timer, with the drain being a 2" open bulkhead at top of the system.

This should work well, if your rodi unit can keep up with the demand of whatever timer you set (100GPD unit would really max out at 60 gallons or so safely on a daily basis, if the reservoir is that large).
Xirxes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #405
trailsnale
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

hi rbarn,

fantastic project!

re the sump, will the middle compartment be a refugium or will you have bio media in there?
earlier you mentioned cannisters with media (and I'm guessing greater flow rates) so I assumed refugium here. If so, what flow rates are you thinking about?

thanks,
trailsnale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.