Starting another tank ASAP
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 06-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
fish_22
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Arrow

Starting another tank ASAP

So I have one tank going, and I need to start another tank as a temporary setup for while I go on a trip until I can make a permanent tank.
I put about 3gallons of water and a handful of gravel from my existing tank into the new tank to get the "good" bacteria in the tank. If i add another gallon of water from my existing tank tomorrow and I get the tank running overnight, do you think it would be safe to put a betta in there tomorrow? I am trying to jumpstart a filter cartridge, but that is not essential because I will only have one betta in there for a week, I mostly just want the filter running for a little water movement (unless somebody thinks that is unnecessary-please tell me).

I will not be around to monitor the tank, and it is a fairly last minute setup due to some complications so i'm just wondering if it will work, or if I should just put my betta in a bowl. He is in one now, but looks severly depressed and rarely moves. plus, i don't have a heater small enough for a bowl and without one, it is about 68-70F.

Thank you so much for the advice!!
fish_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013, 05:38 PM   #2
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

It can take a couple of weeks to get a tank ready for fish, even with seeded materials. This one is beyond me because bettas can breath air, I just don't know if they can do it for a week. Is there no way you can house him in your other tank until you get back? If it's already cycled adding one fish won't increased the bio load that much. That would be your best option.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
fish_22
Planted Member

He was getting nipped by the neon tetras I have in the established tank and he already had part of his fins bitten off by black skirt tetras (which are not in the picture anymore) so I took him out because I figured he was under a lot of stress and I don't want him to get sick etc. from the stress.

I could put him back in, but I'm trying to come up with other options first...
Old 06-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
OVT
Suspended

PTrader: (142/100%)

A new tank is better then a bowl. Add some plants if you can. Another option might be puting him in a breeder box in existing tank.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Old 06-15-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well adding water from one tank to another really doesn't do much bacteria wise. Most of your BB are on the surfaces in your tank, substrate, filter media, plants, driftwood etc etc. If you're all out of options add a bit more media or whatnot from your established tank, and if you can add as many plants as possible. Floaters, like frogbit, water lettuce, duckweed, hornwort, fast growing stem plants like wisteria, pennywort, anything that will suck up the ammonia/nitrates will help. Also having someone come over and change your water for you would help alot to. That's just about all I can think about.

You may be able to find some ammonia absorbing media, that would stall your cycle, but it would keep your fish safe while you were away. I can't offer any advice on that route though. I've never used anything but purigen.

Hopefully a combination of these methods and your fish being able to breath are will work. Good luck, and have fun on your trip if it's for vacation or don't work too hard if it's for work!
Old 06-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #6
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Darn ovt beat me to the plant answer! Oh and good idea I never even thought about a breeder net in the established tank, nice ovt! Guess that's why you get paid the big bucks
Old 06-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
fish_22
Planted Member

Quote:
A new tank is better then a bowl. Add some plants if you can.
That is what I was assuming, but I just don't want the plants or the fish to die. This betta was in the other tank while it was in the early stages of cycling (weeks 2-8) and it did fine so I guess it would sort of be the same situation if I put it in the new tank now (maybe?), since I added water from the other tank.

I really like the breeder net idea, but unfortunately I don't think I will be able to get my hands on one before I leave.

The only plant I could move is an aponogeton (Aponogeton longiplumulosus or Aponogeton crispus, i don't know which one it is), would that work? It has been growing pretty fast...

Last edited by fish_22; 06-15-2013 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: added
Old 06-15-2013, 06:40 PM   #8
OVT
Suspended

PTrader: (142/100%)

Moving A. over will go a long way to make your guy feel at home. Bettas love taller plants to hide under and to rest on.

I personally would not put in an untested heater if I am not around. A cold betta us better then a cooked one ...

PS: you can have my big bucks, Sake

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Old 06-15-2013, 06:55 PM   #9
peachii
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

If you could run to Wal-mart or a craft store and have fishing line and one suction cup, a breeder box is pretty easy to make with craft cloth. They come in 10X13 sheets in a 6 pack so you could easily cut 1 piece up and thread it to make a semi- comfortable box for him to stay in until you get back.

Bettas are hardy so for 1 week he will probably be fine with the one plant you have in a newish tank. Bettas always breathe air so as long as they have access to the air while not the best thing to do a week should be fine if you don't put any extra food in the tank to corrode on the bottom and make the water quality worse. Your betta will be fine for a week with no food, if you have no one to feed him properly. Most people left to care for a fish would overfeed, not realizing the left over food hurts the fish in the long run.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #10
fish_22
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Moving A. over will go a long way to make your guy feel at home. Bettas love taller plants to hide under and to rest on.

I personally would not put in an untested heater if I am not around. A cold betta us better then a cooked one ...
I will keep all of that in mind, thank you!

Do you think I should run a filter or just leave it without one? I don't have filter medium that is specific to the filter (because this is temporary and last-minute), but i could losely fit a piece of medium to the frame just to have some circulation...
Old 06-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #11
fish_22
Planted Member

Peachii- thank you for the idea, I will keep that in mind for future reference. I will not be able to go to the store before I leave so I think I am going to put the betta in the new tank since that sounds like the second best option. Also, I'm glad to know that he will be fine without food, that was actually one of my unspoken concerns