DK's m..a..d.. d..o..-i..n..g..s........ - Page 113
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 05-29-2013, 11:19 PM   #1681
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

your doodles help so much. how is this project going? or are you on to something new?
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2013, 03:21 AM   #1682
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

PTrader: (197/100%)

Had what felt like 20 different projects with loose ends this week, none of which seemed to want to come to resolution. The Dog Toilet guts were mysteriously shipped cross country to TWO completely different locations than where I yam (one went to Washington State, the other to South Carolina, while I am on the East Coast... go figure). It wasn't until today I was able to get our lovely vintage low-boy-one-piece-grand-capacity-dog-fountain back online, after a two week wait.

Had an incoming shipment of shrimp I'll be shrimpsitting until fall, a whole tank of 'em, had to get them acclimated and settled. Their human is going out the the country, and then, upon return, is moving cross country.

Testing on the Shrimpzone workings ongoing this week as it was hot enough to run the A/C. It's working, but needs tuning on DIRECTING the air throughout the Shrimporium.

My last surviving original Shrimporium 1.0 plastic dollar store drawer tank sprung a leak and I had to tear it down and move its little guys elsewhere.

In the process, I moved down a ten gallon tank on the shelf above it to take up the now available real estate where the plastic drawer used to be, to give that small ten-er a cooler piece of real estate than a top shelf location where it had been.

I don't write anything about wetwedding or the cashew jar department store, because they are both fully automated systems and working perfectly... so perfectly that it's BORING to even think about them.

The last of the electronics components arrived and all the parts are sitting on a tray, awaiting attention.

Stuff like that.

Will try to post more on Shrimpzone this weekend.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #1683
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Well, DK can't seem to force herself to finish her Shrimpzone posts, but they are coming.

Today, she made a prototype of her next project, and wants to post an intro about that! Sorta like those "Save the Date" postcards people send out BEFORE they send out wedding invites, nowadays...

While that prototype is beta testing, here are the ingredients:

1. binding covers binding covers
  2. marker marker
  3. scissors scissors
  4. soldering iron soldering iron

I must say, she is quite pleased with the prototype...

T-Rex packin' momma, taken today:

Attached Images

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 06-02-2013 at 10:31 PM.. Reason: ...
DKShrimporium is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2013, 11:12 PM   #1684
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

you and your shrimp pics lol and i cant have any till next spring lol
Old 06-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #1685
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Scenes from the Broke Blacks, today:

Attached Images

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 06-07-2013 at 12:41 AM.. Reason: ...
Old 06-06-2013, 10:43 PM   #1686
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

beautiful like always dk.... you and your taunts lol
Old 06-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #1687
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

OK, so I FORCE myself to continue the Shrimpzone posts.

Shrimpzone project 11

We review about how climate control works in the basement. There are basically two large rooms in the basement, one that is climate controlled as a zone, automated, with sensor and thermostat and appropriate air inputs via registers and air exit via an air return duct.

The other room, now the Shrimporium, was originally a utility room in concept, that was divided off the whole basement after the fact. This space has NO air registers putting climate controlled air into the space, and NO return ducts for air to exit the space. Up until this point in time, DK just left the door open between the two basement rooms so there was air exchange.

The problem is twofold, and not inconsequential.

First, since there is no mechanism to efficiently exchange air in the Shrimporium, there is a static nature in there. Adding racks of shrimp tanks with their filters, heaters, and lighting adds all sorts of heat into the room, which cannot leave the room efficiently so accumulates, particularly during hot weather.

Second, due to the same, there is humidity added into the room that is not removed. In climate controlled air, the air is dehumidified when air conditioned. So enabling the air in the shrimporium to be air conditioned would solve two problems at once.

The challenge was to design a solution that would exchange air throughout the Shrimporium space, and climate control it. For cheap, that is. For cheap.

To do this, we need AIR INPUT, AIR EXIT, AIR SENSING AND CONTROL (thermostat) and THAT AIR TO BE RUN THROUGH THE CLIMATE CONTOL SYSTEM AND CIRCULATED, in that room.

So, the first step is to punch a hole in the air supply chain somewhere IN THAT ROOM, to provide AIR INPUT.

This is not rocket science, but it's also not mudpies. We need a hole in the supply trunk somewhere, but we have to keep in mind that what we rob from the supply trunk to feed into the Shrimporium space is then NOT supplied elsewhere, and we need VOLUME BALANCE so the other area we robbed supply from gets enough and is balanced with what happens in the Shrimporium. In other words, we need balanced climate control in the basement zone WHILE we get supply into the Shrimporium. We don't want to cool the Shrimporium and leave the basement either inadequately cooled or super-cooled relative to what is happening in the Shrimporium. And we need enough air flow to both zones to get the job done. This means effectively longer run time for the system, with balanced volumes to the two rooms as needed, to get the same effect in the basement as we had previously, since now we are robbing a good chunk of its previous input stream, say one third or so.

Just to clarify something that isn't apparent in the picture below: The air supply trunk to the basement main room is then split up via ducting to run to the various basement air registers. This isn't shown in the picture. The air then enters the room via the registers and does its thing. Then, the air is pushed out of the room via air pressure, into the air return. The air return looks in this picture as though it feeds air into the Shrimporium room, but what happens is the air enters a DUCT in that wall, that duct leads back to the air handler. There is no air that gets to the Shrimporium room itself from that return in the wall shown.

OK, this post is long enough, ponder away, and Happy Friday, all y'all.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	basement zone 01.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	155297  

Old 06-11-2013, 01:07 AM   #1688
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Shrimpzone project 12

OK, so here, again, a sad attempt atta sorta 3D view of the setup.

We have the main air handler that moves heated or cooled air throughout the house. Off it comes a main ventilation trunk. Off the main ventilation trunk come three sub-trunks to each of the three house zones; I've called them Zone 1, Zone 2, and Basement Zone.

Each zone trunk is kept closed off EXCEPT when the zone controller calls for action, and THEN the respective zone trunk damper is opened so that zone will receive air.

So now, let's talk about the syndicate.

DK's first approach to the Shrimpzone was primarily based on the syndicate thinking, due to her inability to make an actual fourth zone properly. Her zone controller will only do 3 zones which she already has, and she a'-don't wanna buy another zone controller to add a zone.

So her first approach was to mimic the syndicate. Cue The Godfather theme music, here. And imagine Marlon Brando with a cigar hanging out of his mouth, as he narrates this.

What does the syndicate do?

Simple. WHEREVER, WHENEVER there is action, the syndicate takes a cut.

DK reasoned that she'd divert some conditioned air off the MAIN TRUNK any time there was need to have conditioned air anywhere in the house. She reasoned that a need anywhere in the house meant that it was too hot or too cold in general SOMEWHERE in the house, so the air would be adjusted and sent out to the respective zone, and in the process a cut of that air would ALSO be sent through the Shrimporium.

This approach worked, but was - well - not as specific, as CONTROLLED, as DK likes things. DK can be quite a control freak. No, really. It was also less efficient, energy-wise, as it just works off the principle that we need hotter or colder air and we get some down in the Shrimporium, but it may only alter the climate in there in general, not specifically to a given temperature.

So picture two below shows her first approach, the syndicate louver, which she mounted onto the MAIN TRUNK (purple number 1 in the picture). (BTW, there was ALREADY a big ol' hole in the trunk where a previous humdifier had been mounted and removed and patched. DK simply removed the patch and put in the syndicate louver at that location.) Any time a portion of this louver is open to a degree, then ANY time the air handler moves air ANYWHERE in the house, the Shrimporium gets a cut of that air.

Yeah, it worked, but DK is anal for control. She pondered, and pondered, and pondered, how to get a fake "real" zone in there that was thermostatically controlled.

It was when she went to do the RETURN portion of air handling for the syndicate approach that her second technique dawned upon her.

As you recall, there are no return registers in the Shrimporium, but there is one in the basement general room.

Now, she has air INPUT into the Shrimporium, but air EXIT has to happen in a balanced manner.

The easiest way to do this is to leave the door open, air that enters the Shrimporium from the syndicate louver makes its way across the room and exits the door, into the general basement room, and is eventually pushed back into the return duct in there.

But what if she wants the door closed??

Ahhhh. Yes. That was the key, that led her to the final approach.

Stay tuned.

IN OTHER NEWS:

DK now has a Ph.D. in toilet-ology. Who knew there was so much interesting stuff to know about the physics of a flush.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3d trunks 01.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	157193  

Attached Images

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 06-11-2013 at 01:41 AM.. Reason: ...
Old 06-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #1689
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Shrimpzone project 13

So, let's divert just a bit, today, and talk about exactly what DK would have needed to build a true, bona fide zone into the Shrimporium.
  • First, she'd need to add a fourth air zone trunk off of her main air handling trunk.
  • Then, she'd need to buy another motorized zone control damper, to install in that fourth trunk.
  • Then, she'd need to make, off this trunk, air registers to feed air from that trunk into the Shrimporium room.
  • Then, she'd need to make a trunk off her RETURN trunk, back to the system, in the Shrimporium.
  • Then, she'd need to make, off the RETURN trunk, a return air register to remove air from the Shrimporium and feed it back into air handling system.
  • Then, she'd need to balance the air VOLUME input with output, in the Shrimporium room.
  • THEN, she'd need to integrate her new zone to the existing BYPASS damper to take the excess air handler air flow and divert it to other zones. Feeding the Shrimporium room would not take the entire output of the air handler, which is a fixed flow rate, so the excess output has to go somewhere or you fry your air handler fan against too much resistance. Zoned systems have, for each zone, a master bypass damper that re-routes excess air to other zones and dissipates the extra flow this way.
  • Then, she'd need to buy a whole new FOUR zone controller, and re-wire every dad-gum zone to the controller, then wire the fourth zone into the air handler.

She didn't get an estimate for this, but guesses it would be well into the four digit cost zone. (Deca-Bens to do, as in tens of Ben Franklin notes.)

And yet, the dream persisted, in her mind, of a thermostatically controlled zone, within the Shrimporium, to remove heat QUANTITATIVELY from that space, as it is produced by her lights and heaters and filters. Using her master air handler for the house.

Sometimes, she gets stubborn, and just won't let go a goal, no matter how impossible it seems.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DK ponders.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	157961  

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 06-12-2013 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: ...
Old 06-13-2013, 01:55 AM   #1690
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

ha ha ha love the last cartoon. please tell me you did not just mess up the air flow for the whole basement. i wish you luck you have way more balls than i do for things like this. and have taught me so much.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #1691
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Shreeeeeeeeeemps were without power for several hours. It gave DK the first test of what happens to the Wetwedding system when there's a power failure. She had to bleed down the well tank to initiate the RO system to turn on, to finish filling the tank, as the tank was only partially filled when the power went out. (Once it turns off, due to power failure, it will not re-initiate making RO water until the RO tank pressure drops to the trigger point and the pressure switch tells tells the solenoid then to open and to turn on the pressure boosting pump, running the system. I need to have a FULL RO tank of water for each flush cycle, as the cycle uses that much water. If the tank is only partially full when the cycle initiates, it will run out of water part way through and then scream when it's not happy and shut down at the CIC-152, causing the need for a manual re-start to re-set the CIC-152) Not too much excitement, really.

ON THE OTHER HAND:

Out front, about 100 yards from the house, lightning struck one of our trees. This is about a two-foot diameter, mature tree.

The power of the lightning exploded the tree trunk from the center, outward, pushing layers of tree trunk outward and sending huge chunks of bark and outer tree layer flying as far as 50 yards away.

Poor tree. It's going to die, now. How anyone survives being struck by lightning is a mystery to me, after seeing the power exhibited here.

Attached Images

Old 06-13-2013, 09:54 PM   #1692
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

wow, glad you and the shrimp are well. and awesome the system worked.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #1693
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Hey, C, this one's for you. How's your foot doing? I love how in the second one the panda just melts into the shadow, except for the white.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4722.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	159417  

Attached Images

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 06-15-2013 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: ...
Old 06-17-2013, 01:59 AM   #1694
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

beautiful. foot is doing great been walking around the house in the boot with out crutches only been putting weight on it since may 29th, so just over 2 weeks. wed the 19 i get to take the boot off and go to a lace up brace woo hoo. i will still prob use crutches for a while just cause im getting out of the boot. ortho was kinda stunned i was walking already lol. i just want my freedom back hehehe. keep up the nice pics and thanks for posting they are great
Old 06-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #1695
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Shrimpzone project 14

I keep forgetting to finish these posts. Too much going on here.

So, what DK did was to create some of the elements of a bona fide zone, in her Shrimporium.

To do this, she:

Cut an air input (input INTO the Shrimporium room, that is) access in the trunk feeding the basement zone, BEFORE it enters the basement general room (but while it is still in the Shrimporium room proper), but AFTER the motorized zone damper. This way, what happens to that zone also happens in the Shrimporium. This was the next iteration of The Syndicate thinking. (Purple number 2 in the picture)

Then, she did some fancy "There I Fixed It" stuff. Those of you with noses in the air better quit reading, now, as we are entering the equivalent of Honey Boo Boo land in fixes. DK needed an air EXIT from the Shrimporium. She had two choices. One was to install a branch with pressure-balanced damper in the Shrimporium, onto the RETURN main duct. This was complicated, expensive, and really tedious to do, as the access is right over a 65 gallon tank full of crystals, and DK doesn't relish messy construction OVER any tanks. Asking for a catastrophe. So, she needed a work-around. The second approach was to somehow get Shrimporium conditioned-air moved from the Shrimporium room into the basement general room. Yes, we can do this merely by leaving the door open, which we often do. But sometimes we want that door shut...

So DK looked around. The wall between the Shrimporium and the basement general room has a false ceiling. It is unfinished ceiling in the Shrimporium space and a hung-tile ceiling in the basement general room. Mostly, there is no air transfer, even up in that ceiling space, due to insulation placement. But DK was able to make a large route of airflow from the Shrimporium to the general room by selectively removing some insulation and then replacing a ceiling tile with a handy-dandy piece of fluorescent light waffle grid (which she had to rob and re-purpose from her mobile shrimp cart/drying rack featured earlier in this thread).

Now, conditioned air under pressure moves ACROSS the Shrimporium room, conditioning the space, and THEN can exit the room through this secret channel, going up above the wall, into the joist space, and then down through the waffle grid, into the general room, where it eventually makes its way into the return duct in the general room.

So now, we have AIR SUPPLY and AIR RETURN of conditioned air, into the Shrimporium. The AIR SUPPLY and AIR RETURN is now tied into a particular zone, and is tied into the thermostatic control of that zone, unlike our first iteration of The Syndicate thinking, which just gave the Shrimporium a cut of conditioned air, whenever, and wherever in the house there was conditioned air action. NOW, we can tie what happens in the Shrimporium TO A THERMOSTATIC CONTROL, specific to a zone.

This post is long enough, so chew on that, for today.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	basement zone 01.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	161609  

Name:	3d trunks 01.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	161617  

Attached Images

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 06-19-2013 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: ...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.