Fish Must Die !!!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 06-14-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
musicmarn1
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

Fish Must Die !!!

Not really

BUT there is evil fish criminals in my lovely dirt planted tank, its my first and im so so hooked to this hobby, first big properly planted and im loosing plants to some fish, can anyone PLEASE please help identify who needs rehoming

i have spent time watching, hours in fact i dont see anyone out and out going to town but the cumulative effect is really making em sad

Bala Shark - see him rooting around and he was digging some stuff up for sure seems to have settled but plants are being eaten to bits, different plants
2 Angels - never really see them do anything with the plants !
2 Blue Rams, love the algae wafters i put in now to help reduce the problem but i read that they wont eat the plants

Honey Sunset Gourami - small, 2 males, definiately see one living in the bunch of plants being eaten, but not really seen him spend MUCH time eating them

snails - general run of the mill snails, dont have that many, got MTS for aeration

glow lights and serpae tetras

just got two bristlenose catfish which will move into the discus tank later for clean up, but it was happening before they got here so dont think its them

i almost rehomed the bala shark to my lfs that specializes in big ones, they have big pools but id feel awful if he wasnt the main culprit and i rehomed him, at this point im ready to have planted tanks with very little fish in them *sobs quietly*

my fish are all extremely happy and well cared for never had a death or a sickness, just so you know i just got so into plants and aquascaping lately i really want beautiful plants and wish i knew which fish to rehome
musicmarn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

Might be the angels. I suspect my angels have been snacking on my red tiger lotus but have never caught them in the act. Something is eating it and it didn't start till I got them angels.....

Last edited by thelub; 06-15-2013 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: spelling
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:01 AM   #3
Rallum
Algae Grower

Bala sharks will also chew on the plants
Rallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:52 AM   #4
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

I had a few odd fish nibble some leaves, but the first species to catch my eye in your list is the Bala Shark.

Gouramis may occasionally nip a little bit of plants if they are building a bubble nest. Rare, and usually very little actual damage is done.

I had some Angels shred some Cabomba several years ago. It was in bits no larger than 1/2". This is very unusual. I had to catch them in the act to believe it.

Pond snails can move in on already compromised plants, but their mouth parts are not strong enough to rasp strong, healthy plant tissue.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:52 AM   #5
koiboi
Planted Member

Yup, it's the bala shark.
koiboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:13 PM   #6
sadchevy
Planted Member

If you have live plants, stay away from silver dollars. In my experience they are nothing but vegetarian piranhas.I've seen my angels nibble my watersprite, but not enough to damage the plants.
sadchevy is offline   Reply With Quote