New to Carnivorous Plants
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 06-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
the.koi.maiden
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

New to Carnivorous Plants

So my tanks are filled with plants and fish. No room for anything else there, but I've always loved venus fly traps. I want to get into carnivorous plants now.

I have been reading a lot on here and other sites for the passed week. I actually live in the same area where VFT grow native, so I feel pretty confident in my ability to grow them outside. My first question is could I overwinter them outside? We get maybe one snow here a season with a couple of frosts. Could I just stick them in the garage when the frosts come?

I would also like to try some Sarracenia pitcher plants. I have a koi pond and was wondering if I could grow them as bog plants with just wet roots in my koi pond? That pond is rainwater fed. If they won't do well in the pond, that's fine; I'll put them in full sun on my back porch. Which ones would be good for a beginner? And could I overwinter those outside, too?

I'd also like something I can keep inside in a terrarium during the winter. What plants would you suggest? I like the look of the Nepenthes but I keep hearing how some get huge.

Thanks for the help! I'm eager to get some of these amazing plants!

Goldfish | Community | Koi pond | Carnivorous Plants
the.koi.maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.koi.maiden View Post
So my tanks are filled with plants and fish. No room for anything else there, but I've always loved venus fly traps. I want to get into carnivorous plants now.

I have been reading a lot on here and other sites for the passed week. I actually live in the same area where VFT grow native, so I feel pretty confident in my ability to grow them outside. My first question is could I overwinter them outside? We get maybe one snow here a season with a couple of frosts. Could I just stick them in the garage when the frosts come?

I would also like to try some Sarracenia pitcher plants. I have a koi pond and was wondering if I could grow them as bog plants with just wet roots in my koi pond? That pond is rainwater fed. If they won't do well in the pond, that's fine; I'll put them in full sun on my back porch. Which ones would be good for a beginner? And could I overwinter those outside, too?

I'd also like something I can keep inside in a terrarium during the winter. What plants would you suggest? I like the look of the Nepenthes but I keep hearing how some get huge.

Thanks for the help! I'm eager to get some of these amazing plants!
Yes, you can definitely overwinter them outside. I live in USDA Zone 7a and my plants did fine outside this past winter when the temperature dropped below freezing for a few weeks. Snow is a good insulator for freezing winds.

I wouldn't suggest the koi pond since the tds of the water might be too high with all the waste the koi produces. What would be better for you is to either grow them in an in-ground bog or grow them as container plants on your back porch. Great beginner plants are any of the sarracenia. Just give them plenty of sun, low tds water, and the right media mix and they'll grow happily.

For terrarium cultivation, I've had good luck with some drosera and pinguiculas.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:02 AM   #3
the.koi.maiden
Algae Grower

Thanks! Glad to know I can overwinter them outside here. I already have enough fish things in the 'fridge. Live cultures is kinda where the family draws the line.

Years ago we put a pitcher plant in the pond. It died while I was away at college. My family said it died from the cold during the winter, but I'm wondering if it died from the elevated TDS and nutrients in the pond water. Pitcher plants will be kept out of the pond from now on.

I stopped by Lowes today to see what they had in stock. There was one small VFT and then those kits to grow your own plants. There were Sarracenia and VFT on the packaging. I'm going to look around at Home Depot and the local nurseries. If I can't find anything would it be better to try growing from those seeds or to buy online? And what are some good places to buy CP online? Especially seeing as I doubt I'll be able to get Drosera locally...

Old 06-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #4
wastewater
Planted Member

PTrader: (22/100%)

If you haven't already ~ check out www.terraforums.com (lots of hobbyists that sell and trade CPs) and www.flytrapshop.com (an online business).

Maybe somewhat of interest (has nothing to do with your post though): an incident occurred a few weeks ago near Wilmington, NC. Someone, and/or someones, dug up [stole] 1,000 or more Venus Fly Traps out of a protected area. Officials noticed that some Pitcher plants were also taken. I don't know if the motive was for money, or something else. Needless to say... a very sad situation indeed.
wastewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:32 PM   #5
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I've heard that the wild areas where these plants grow in any number is kept 'secret' to prevent stuff like this.

I had also figured that tissue culture and such was sufficiently advanced/refined to be fairly easy for carnivorous plant suppliers.

The first time I had seen a pitcher plant (in the wild) was along a roadside ditch in Newfoundland, so at least some types can deal with the cold...
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:15 AM   #6
the.koi.maiden
Algae Grower

Oh thanks, wastewater! I'd seen that site, but didn't know they had a shop. I might join up there. They also have a section for orchids which is something I'm looking to break into also.

I've also found a starter pack of CPs on carnivorousplantnursery.com. Good people? Yes? No?

And that is pretty crappy news about the poaching. Some people just don't understand that things like that aren't unlimited. It also makes me question the validity of online dealers. I've actually seen some pitchers and VFT in the wild. Or well close to in the wild; they were in a bog garden at an aquarium I went to in NC.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:13 AM   #7
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Thanks! Glad to know I can overwinter them outside here. I already have enough fish things in the 'fridge. Live cultures is kinda where the family draws the line.

Years ago we put a pitcher plant in the pond. It died while I was away at college. My family said it died from the cold during the winter, but I'm wondering if it died from the elevated TDS and nutrients in the pond water. Pitcher plants will be kept out of the pond from now on.

I stopped by Lowes today to see what they had in stock. There was one small VFT and then those kits to grow your own plants. There were Sarracenia and VFT on the packaging. I'm going to look around at Home Depot and the local nurseries. If I can't find anything would it be better to try growing from those seeds or to buy online? And what are some good places to buy CP online? Especially seeing as I doubt I'll be able to get Drosera locally...
You can overwinter them outside if they are kept out of the wind IME. Burlap and tarp help for shielding them from the wind if you can't move them. Pine needles are even better.

It happens. They require nutrient poor media or need to be planted next to fast growing bog plants to suck up the excess nitrogen.

Buy the plants online. I use a bunch of different sellers and ebay to buy my plants. If you want some recommendations, PM me. Growing plants from seed takes a while. It will take maybe 2-3 years of growing under lights to get substantial sized plants.

Quote:

I've also found a starter pack of CPs on carnivorousplantnursery.com. Good people? Yes? No?
I've never purchased from them so I have no way of knowing the quality of their plants.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #8
the.koi.maiden
Algae Grower

I'm glad I didn't pick up those seeds then. Oddly enough the seed packs were almost double the price of that sad little VFT.

Anyway, I made some calls to local nurseries yesterday and was able to pick up a S. purpurea, another VFT, and a dewdrop. The lady said it was a cape dewdrop but didn't know the exact species.

I have a pretty crappy camera, but this is what it looks like:

D. capeinsis? Or something else?

Old 06-13-2013, 04:44 AM   #9
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I'm glad I didn't pick up those seeds then. Oddly enough the seed packs were almost double the price of that sad little VFT.

Anyway, I made some calls to local nurseries yesterday and was able to pick up a S. purpurea, another VFT, and a dewdrop. The lady said it was a cape dewdrop but didn't know the exact species.

I have a pretty crappy camera, but this is what it looks like:

D. capeinsis? Or something else?
Looks like D. spathulata.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:04 AM   #10
the.koi.maiden
Algae Grower

Hmm... Knew I shouldn't have trusted them. It didn't look like other cape sundews I've seen pictures of. Is D. spathulata easy enough for a beginner?

Old 06-15-2013, 06:41 AM   #11
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Hmm... Knew I shouldn't have trusted them. It didn't look like other cape sundews I've seen pictures of. Is D. spathulata easy enough for a beginner?
Yeah, it's one of the beginner sundews. Just give it plenty of light and low tds water and it will thrive for you. You can feed it lightly with pulverized bloodworms twice a week but that shouldn't be necessary since it will eventually catch small gnats on it's own.

http://www.growsundews.com/sundews/D...spatulata.html
Old 06-16-2013, 10:18 PM   #12
the.koi.maiden
Algae Grower

It's already caught a few things! Really glad to know it's a good beginner plant. That's always my worry when I buy something and aren't 90% certain of the species.

It's actually already caught a few gnats! My VFT also have a few traps closed. I can also see some dead bugs in the purpurea. The nursery where I bought them had like3-4 different species of Sarracenia. I'm going back later on this week to grab one of each.

Thanks so much for your help, guys! I'm loving these new plants!

Old 06-17-2013, 12:38 AM   #13
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
It's already caught a few things! Really glad to know it's a good beginner plant. That's always my worry when I buy something and aren't 90% certain of the species.

It's actually already caught a few gnats! My VFT also have a few traps closed. I can also see some dead bugs in the purpurea. The nursery where I bought them had like3-4 different species of Sarracenia. I'm going back later on this week to grab one of each.

Thanks so much for your help, guys! I'm loving these new plants!
Are you keeping these plants outside? My droseras do a good job of keeping my indoor gnat population down.

First you start with a few, then it's the start of an addiction! lol
Old 06-17-2013, 01:36 AM   #14
wastewater
Planted Member

PTrader: (22/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Fish View Post
First you start with a few, then it's the start of an addiction! lol
Definitely some words of wisdom!
wastewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:46 AM   #15
the.koi.maiden
Algae Grower

Haha! No kidding! I can see myself having a rather large collection of fly traps and Sarracenia because all I have to do is water them outside. I'm already looking at ordering some fancy VFT cultivars online. Wanna get a few more miles under my belt with these guys before I put some serious money into them. Red dragons look so awesome!

I am keeping them all outside. I just moved them today to the sunniest part of my property; they will get about 8 hours of sun whereas they had been getting about 3 hours of morning sun where they were before. I didn't want to burn these plants as I'm assuming they came from greenhouses. I'm working on getting a small light rigged up for my drosera inside because I don't have a window that gets extended light. I'll probably bring them inside when I do.

I wish I didn't live on a hill so I could do a bog garden!

Tags
nepenthes, sarracenia, venus flytrap