DIY LED Fixture for 29g Planted ~ AquaStudent
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 06-12-2013, 01:26 AM   #1
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

DIY LED Fixture for 29g Planted ~ AquaStudent

Last year a bunch of my friends on youtube helped me win LEDGroupBuy's contest. The prize was $100 towards goodies over at the LEDGroupBuy's store.

I have been trying to put together a plan for the prize but everything didn't seem fitting. Finally, I decided to upgrade my 10g to a 29g and build the LED fixture for the 29. Here are the results.

Parts List:
1x 24" Extruded Aluminum Heatsink
2x 6 Pack of CREE XT-E "Cool White" LEDs (12 Total)
2x XT-E 60deg Optics
1x ArticAlumina Thermal Adhesive
1x 40W Inventronics 750mA driver
1x 10,000K 1/2 Watt Potentiometer

Here is the build.

First I marked off 12 spots 2" apart from each other for the LED locations.

Using Artic Alumina Thermal Adhesive (this stuff does not smell good) I plastered the LEDs in place. A rubber band works well as a clamp (although I'm not sure how necessary they actually were). The negative terminals on the LED were next to the positive terminals on the following LED.

Next I wired all of the LEDs in series. Positive to negative, positive to negative. I suck at soldering so this was quite a challenging process. I ended up getting frustrated with my soldering iron (which had a fairly corroded tip) and borrowed my neighbor's soldering gun. That worked so much better!

The next step was to wire in the potentiometer to the driver. That was simple enough, just solder the purple wire to the middle lead and the yellow and teal wires to the outside leads.

I wired the positive wires of the driver to the positive terminal on the first LED and the negative wire of the driver to the negative terminal. That completes the circuit. After wiring the plug into the driver it was good to go!

Once I knew the circuit worked I siliconed in the Optics and the electric part of the build was done!

I then built a canopy to hold the light. Simple 1x6 white wood goes together pretty easily with some finishing nails. A little paint later and we're good to go!

Primer

Black Gloss

Before (10 Gallon Tank, not much room to grow)

After (29 Gallon):

Nice and simple

I still need to drill a hole to mount the potentiometer out the back and use some black tape to hide some of the wires but other than that it's all finished.

Special thanks:
Hoppy for his help on the planning and research.
LEDGroupBuy for the opportunity, products, and resources.

Last edited by AquaStudent; 06-12-2013 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: edit
AquaStudent is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2013, 03:06 AM   #2
O2surplus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Nice work! I'm betting that you're experiencing that great feeling that only comes from "doing it yourself". Again- good job!
225 Gal, Glass "Reef Ready" w/ twin Iwaki Pumps & 2 Ocean Clear inline filters. Custom 320 watt LED Lighting system utilizing a 6' Maker's Heat Sink, 12 BridgeLux Vero 18's,3 purpose built 5 channel A6211 Led driver/Controllers,iAqua Aquarium Controller , and a 20lb CO2 system w/ Milwaukee Ph Controller.
O2surplus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2013, 03:11 AM   #3
P015
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Looks good man!! Nice job!
P015 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2013, 06:27 AM   #4
saiko
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Looks pretty cool. I liked the way you used the wood, no glare on the eye at all. The black paint seems to help too.

So its 36W over 10 gal, you feel its too much?
and another question, why dint you choose the warms/neutral that other member suggest/opt.

Thank you.
saiko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2013, 03:57 PM   #5
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru

It's actually over a 29 gallon. I like the cool white spectrum so much better than warm whites. There's just too much yellow in the warm whites. I also found that lighting around 6500k not only looks better but grows plants better than a lower temperature rating.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
Aquaticz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

nice job
I like your canopy so much I am going out to my garage and building one for a 29 gallon today.

Aquaticz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2013, 05:00 AM   #7
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru

Here's a video showing some of the process.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.