setting up a diy for 75 gal, advice welcome
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 06-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #1
stanjam
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

setting up a diy for 75 gal, advice welcome

Setting up a diy co2 system on the cheap. So far I have 3 2-litre bottles, epoxy securing seals. These feed into a gatorade bottle for gas exchange, then to a gang valve (easy night time shut off), then I to my emporer 400 intake, where it terminates into an air stone. The gas then gets sucked into the impeller making tons of tiny bubbles (in theory). Current mixture is what I have on hand. In each 2 litre bottle:
2 litres dechlorinated water.
1/2 tsp yeast (from pizza shop).
2 tsp honey (nutrients for yeast).
1 cup sugar.
1/4 tsp. Baking soda.

Eventually I will be using brewers or champagne yeast, and maybe some powdered sports drink instead of honey.

One cup sugar: too much sugar will kill the yeast off. Honey is instead of sports drink. Hoping this will provide the nutrients for yeast to thrive, rather than dying off from just sugar water.

Ideas? Suggestions? Am I way off? Up until now efforts at diy co2 for large tanks have been dismal, only generating enough pressure if shaken. Hopefully this system will work.

Oh, will be switching to co2 tubing once I get a working system.
stanjam is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #2
steven p
Wannabe Guru

I would skip the gang valve, you don't want to close off bottles completely, without a vent, they have the potential to explode. Drop a gummy-vite or half of a regular vitamin in the bottles if you think the yeast could do better...
Old 06-08-2013, 11:53 PM   #3
stanjam
Planted Tank Obsessed

Interesting idea using a multi-vit. The article I read mentioned a protein, but you don't really get those in sports drinks (or wine or champagne lol). I used to brew beer, but didn't think to compare it to co2 in the aquarium. The honey should provide the yeast with plenty of what it needs (in theory) as one of the oldest yeast recipes in existence is for mead.

Hear you about exploding lol. Had a 5 gallon beer fermenting bucket blow on me once! What a mess. However I check the unit often, and it only gets turned off at night. Otherwise I use the gang valve as a simple flow control. I wouldn't think 12 hours would be enough to get explosive, but if you all have experience with explosions under 24 hours of capping, I will only decrease the flow at night instead of turning it off. Maybe I can make an emergency pressure valve out of something. Maybe like a tougher check valve, or air tube with something blocking it off that will blow out under pressure, like a vitamin or something lol.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:37 AM   #4
Evilgrin
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Instead of a regular airstone you may want to look into a lime wood air stone the bubbles that come out of the limewood are already extremely small I use them in my 55 with DIY CO2 with great results.

Never heard of using honey instead of sugar going to have to try that next time I swap out my mixture.

As for shutting of the CO2 flow at night I just run a normal airstone at night to ensure enough O2 for the fish and there is plenty of dissolved CO2 in the water when the lights come on for the plants. Granted I only use one 2-liter bottle on my 55 so with multiple bottles you will have far more saturation of CO2.
Canon Pimp Club #066, SunSun Pimp #75, Fraternity of Dirt #114,
DIY Stand Build -
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=193599
55G Dirted Tank Journal - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=195173
Evilgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:04 AM   #5
stanjam
Planted Tank Obsessed

I will look into the airstone. Right now those bubbles get annihilated when they hit the impeller. It is a noisy solution, but you can kind of do an audible bubble count (so I am told).

I am using honey with sugar. The recipe I am using has molasses instead of honey. I don't have any right now, so, from my brewing experience, I am trying honey lol. Try it at your own risk! This is very experimental at this stage.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:29 AM   #6
Bandit1200
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Here's my 2 from my personal DIY CO2 on my 29g tank. 3 2L bottles may not be enough for a tank that size. I was using 3 2L on my 29g to keep the diffuser happy. Regardless of how many you use, I would suggest using a check valve on each bottle and one on the final leg as well. That way you can pull one off-line without depressurizing the entire thing. I ran all three of mine staggered by a week for optimal production. One is always new, one is midlife and one is almost done with that cycle. It gave me very consistent output, plus you don't end up having to do the entire system all at once and lose CO2 and/or pressure in the lines. The more pressure you have the less time it takes to get those bubbles going.

Instead of trying to shut the CO2 off at night, you may consider an airstone hooked up to a timer instead. Have it come on at lights off to help scrub the CO2 from the water at night.
Bandit1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #7
stanjam
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yes, if I ever get this thing going, I will look into an airstone, tho right now I have an emergency release valve. On the second gang valve hook up I have a piece of tubing with a check valve and a bead in it. If the pressure goes up too much at night, it will shoot the bead out, releasing the built up co2. Definitely looking into picking up more check valves instead of using a clamp.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:25 AM   #8
stanjam
Planted Tank Obsessed

Bah! Not enough pressure to do anything in this tank. Now looking to make some changes. Now looking for a 2.5 - 4 gallon air tight container. Gonna upscale this beast and simplify at the same time! I am definitely getting leaks, but can't find them. This will give me just one container to worry about.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:20 AM   #9
Black Hills Tj
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I tried running DIY CO2 on my 29g. Save yourself the time and hassle and just go pressurized.
Black Hills Tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:15 PM   #10
stanjam
Planted Tank Obsessed

I would, but I am disabled, on limited income. I don't have 100 plus dollars for one. However it is my 46th birthday this month, hint hint lol.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #11
Gecko
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

My recepie is,

1,5 - 2 cups sugar,
about 2 teaspoon dry yeast,
3 table spoon milk,
quarter (or little less) lemon. You can even taste before you put the yeast :P

I am using 1,5 liters bottle. And i never made new one before 15-20 days