13 Stones PT2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Default 13 Stones PT2

Most Recent Pic

This is part 2 to this journal:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=198201

Basically I am trying to follow the same ideas as the last tank but adding a few things. It will have a mixed foreground vs just HC and I am trying out Glosso as the main foreground plant instead. I may go back to HC, I have used HC many times and like it but wanted a change of pace. I may also go with belem instead which was my original goal on my first of many rock scapes.

I believe I have shot myself in the foot on all my last iterations of this by not rinsing my well used substrate. I found I got BGA really badly and every time I added just the slightest amount of new substrate, I would get another BGA outbreak. I also think I had a really high amount of organic matter which caused issues. I would have replaced the substrate but had success on another tank just bleaching it and rinsing like crazy so I hope it will do the same.

My real goal here is just to achieve my goals. I am going to try to use less light and just have a lot more TLC going on. I also plan to do my best to not let neglect get in the way.

From my last journal
Equipment:
Standard 20 Long (top de-rimmed)
Eheim 2215 w 2217 impeller
Aquaticlife T5HO fixture (24x4) ((overkill))
Petco stand
Coralife UV Sterilizer
Fountain pump autodoser (not setup yet)
Heater (need an inline but don't know how to plumb it in yet, stand is weird).
5lb CO2 tank
Beverage regulator w/ Fabco needle valve
GLA inline diffuser

Plants
-Glosso
-Micro Sword
-Dwarf Hairgrass
-HC (in small amounts)
-Plan to add Fissidens and possibly Marsilea crenata (4 leaf clover)

Starting point. Sorry, doesn't photograph well in daytime. Not totally clean. Also added some Bacter 100 for the first time without knowing it would look like that. Will get more pics soon.

Last edited by talontsiawd; 09-05-2013 at 12:45 AM.. Reason: Most recent pics
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.