150 gal Leo Oasis
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Herp (Reptiles and Amphibians)

Old 05-12-2013, 07:20 AM   #1
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

150 gal Leo Oasis

I was gifted a huge acrylic tank and have decided to create a Pakistani Oasis for a few leopard geckos. Was hoping to get some help with the build from some of you folks if possible.

Hopin you can chime in. I wont start the actual build until Sep, but I would like to start purchasing everything Ill need this summer.

I am going to have a gnarly 3D background littered with caves and hides

a large cave complex in the front left corner that is partially see-thru. I want the main chamber to be lit with mini LED black lights. ideas would be much appreciated!!

I am also going to have a water feature. This small rocky "spring" needs to be build self contained in a separate bin. filtration???

I want live plants: bronze sedge, aloe, jade, etc.
any others you could invision??

INfo on lighting and heating would also be most welcomed: 6'x2'x2' is alot to heat! I have never housed leos, only herp sat a few times in college. Thanks for helpin the newbie

Last edited by Learner; 11-16-2013 at 06:38 AM.. Reason: gr
Learner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2013, 07:23 AM   #2
PunknDestroy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

If you enjoy DIY I would say use great stuff foam. Thats good for making backgrounds. As far as heating; I know there are some places that sell a heating element thats basicallly a giant rope. I'll see if i can find it again.
PunknDestroy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

awesome Jake. a 150? you are gonna be in build heaven!!LOL you know as far as lighting goes, i'm gonna suggest t5ho or led, but you can definitely get away with shop t8 shop lights with the terrestrial plants.

heating is going to depend on the design of the tank, obviously, but i do believe you are going to need to plan a basking area with higher temps for them.

i'm gonna start researching leos, just so i can help ya out with this build. i also want to get leos when i start back up again, so it will come in very handy
Fishies_in_Philly is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
Shale87
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

Whoa, this could be so awesome! I would definitely make different levels and caves, almost like they're at the base of a desert hill. I've used Great Stuff foam before, and I really enjoyed the look it gave. Make sure you use Windows and Doors instead of Gaps and Cracks, because GaC expands way too much and can pull away from the sides. You'll also want to cover your glass with silicone (GE Ii is reptile safe) first since Great Stuff doesn't adhere well to glass.

Having a "basking spot" isn't actually necessary since these are nocturnal geckos, but they do need a warm side and a cool side. Heat cables might work well, but I have no experience with them. If you're ever tempted to get a heat rock, please don't. There's aleays a chance they could overheat and burn the gecko.

I've seen some pretty cool leopard gecko setups, so I'll see if I can find them again and link them here for inspiration. This sounds like a great project!
Shale87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 02:31 AM   #5
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
awesome Jake. a 150? you are gonna be in build heaven!!LOL you know as far as lighting goes, i'm gonna suggest t5ho or led, but you can definitely get away with shop t8 shop lights with the terrestrial plants.

heating is going to depend on the design of the tank, obviously, but i do believe you are going to need to plan a basking area with higher temps for them.

i'm gonna start researching leos, just so i can help ya out with this build. i also want to get leos when i start back up again, so it will come in very handy
thanks Bill! I have been doing my homework and have a good idea of their habitat needs. The hot side of the tank may be tough. I think I am going to put an 8x12 UTH under the main, see thru cave. That should get things started. I was then thinking of 2 heating lamps up above that for maintaining the 90 degree max temp. With the water section in the other side, I should be able to maintain a good temp gradient with ambient temps of 75 or so near the water. NOt sure which bulbs I should go with............100 watt and a 75 watt day time lamps.

For night time temps, I hope to run just one black light on top of the tank, the small LEDS inside the cave, and the UTH. I just know I am gonna have to play around with the heating of this beast until I get it just right.

I am starting to visualize
a large rocky hill with ledges and overhangs in the back left corner.
The main see thru cave in the front left.

A large rocky peninsula that extends out into the "offset" middle of the tank. I will have 2 hides and some ledges on this.

The right side will be the water section: definately the beach look with plants surrounding the oasis. My moist hide will be in this section.

The build is gonna be immense and the top of the tank is of course not going to oblige me. I am thinking that I am going to have to cut out a large square on either side and then create a kind of cover with plexi or acrylic from HD.

I will get some pics of the tank so you can help me with that...........I am scared of cutting into this beast!

thanks again Bill I am gonna need you on this one!
Old 05-13-2013, 02:34 AM   #6
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've seen some pretty cool leopard gecko setups, so I'll see if I can find them again and link them here for inspiration. This sounds like a great project![/QUOTE]

thanks for the support! hope you chime in during the actual build this fall. I will be using the drylok method with polyestrene and GS as well to build the BG.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #7
artresz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

If you're going with an UTH I'd strongly recommend you get a rheostat. No form of under heating (tape, pad etc.) should be used without one just in case.

But I'm so jealous, do you have plans on what type of leos you'll be getting and what gender mixture? (Oh, and what you'll be feeding them, you want to make sure whatever your design ends up being doesn't allow for nifty cricket hides if you go with them =] )

I'll be looking forward to the actual build as I've been tempted to come up with something myself for my leo.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #8
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by artresz View Post
If you're going with an UTH I'd strongly recommend you get a rheostat. No form of under heating (tape, pad etc.) should be used without one just in case.

But I'm so jealous, do you have plans on what type of leos you'll be getting and what gender mixture? (Oh, and what you'll be feeding them, you want to make sure whatever your design ends up being doesn't allow for nifty cricket hides if you go with them =] )

I'll be looking forward to the actual build as I've been tempted to come up with something myself for my leo.
I will definately get a rheostat for the heater! Feeding crickets is definitely a worry as they will be my main feed. Mealworms and waxies will also be fed. Any ideas on the best way to keep them from becoming a problem?? there will be some spots for them to hide thats for sure.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:53 PM   #9
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

feed crickets in a glass bowl. they can't climb glass and are too stupid to jump out. it's a little trick we use in the froggie world

if you're gonna use uth Jake, look into heating tape. the amount of heating pads you would need to heat a 150 gallon tank would be ridiculous. also, i'm not sure if acrylic can withstand the high temps that uth's and heat tape emit. you might get melt points in the the tank surface. you could also use ceramic heat emitters. personally, i would just do a false bottom and heat the water. much cheaper and just as effective. then there are those undergravel heat cables you could use.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:55 AM   #10
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

All right, heres the start of the build. I had some time so I got a jump on the carving of the terrain. HOLY crap was this a lot more than I was anticipating.

The water section is a complete debacle. I wanted it to be removable and accessible for easy cleaning and filter access. I decided on a rubber maid tote and a recessed poly sheet carved to hold a burrowed out resin log. This will be the "spring's" first pool (3x6 inches). Two small cutouts will drain the holding pool and into a larger, 5x7 inch pool. Inside the rubbermaid, I have several bags of eheim strata for bio filtration and a duetto 150 for water movement/filtration. A small waterfall pump will run the spring. I am going to run a small 50watt heater to keep it around 75 degrees.
Attached Images

Last edited by Learner; 06-10-2013 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: pics
Old 06-10-2013, 08:10 AM   #11
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

The water section will be on the far right side of the tank. It will junction with the Beach section which dominates the middle of the tank. It has 4 main plant pots and a complex series of caves and cutout, ledge hides. It slopes down towards the front of the tank where there is a huge moist hide, dug in underneath the cave system above. I had to carve the hides and caves in pieces and drylok them as I went. There will be no way to reach every nook and crany with a brush once they all got glued back together. So glad I thought of that a head of time. I only had to cut apart two pieces! Anyways, this particular cave set up is neat. geckos will be able to enter down low and then traverse their way all the way up to the top cave. Several tunnels lead to 3 different ledges for resting and thermoregulating. each ledge inside the cave will be a different distance away from the ceramic heater.
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #12
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

The beach section above junctions with the water section on its right side and then with the CLIFF section on its left. The cliff butts up to the back/left side of the tank. It has several more plant pots, ledges for hiding and accessing the upper and lower caves inside the cliff itself. There are 2 separate caves.

These are the three main sections I have started thus far. Creating the junction areas and making them seamless will be a challenge but I have some good ideas. dont let the boxy look throw you off just yet! I have one more main section which will sit in front of the cliff and butt up against the front left corner of the tank. It will be a see thru, heated cave. I have yet to start this part, as it is the most complex and intricate. I want tiny led lights for low light viewing durning the day. I am also going to heat it with heat cable built into the poly cave itself. The heat cable will be safely woven between 2 slate tiles. 1 slate tile will be recessed into the poly sheet and the other will be on top of the heat cable and act as the bottom of the cave for belly heating. I have a great thermostat which will regulate the temps insde the cave.

I am really curious to see if I can pull this off. as always, your comments and concerns are always welcomed

JD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0584.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	156769  

Attached Images

Old 06-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #13
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

damn Jake! looks awesome! you really planned this one out. we definitely learn from out mistakes, don't we? lol
Old 06-11-2013, 07:23 AM   #14
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
damn Jake! looks awesome! you really planned this one out. we definitely learn from out mistakes, don't we? lol
AMEN to that one! I have never done a desert so I am not sure about the whole thing. Some parts are way easier.........no high humidity and water issues once I contain it in the rubbermaid that is. One issue I am thinking of is the plants. I am used to giving them some time and TLC and then watch em grow like crazy and cover everything up................deserts dont work like that. the plants will be isolated almost.......no jungle look. I hope I have the pots planned out to make it all look real. Any thoughts on a substrate to cover the dirt??? Standard sand I suppose..........might try the molding clay substrate to decrease chance for impaction.

thanks for keeping in touch.........more to come once the salmon stop running and I get a chance to breathe again.........just got my first limit of the season for some boys from Texas the other day..........woohoo. Keep your lines tight and your hooks sharp!

Best Fishes Bill

JD
Old 10-19-2013, 04:36 AM   #15
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well, I have made a bunch of progress on the build. As usual there have been many challenges and changes of the vision. I am pleased at how its going and hope it will finish up nicely. The water feature proved to be quite interesting and is still up for some debate. The modular system is working well and i am happy with how the background is going to turn out. I am gonna have a bunch of transitions and seams to seal but I think im gonna be alright. I am almost certain I have the specs laid out for the see thru cave and hope to have some new pics soon! Still a lot of work to do. I still have to try and find some lizards!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	224345  

Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.